OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 06:16:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: END OF THE GREAT FAST?  (Read 2431 times) Average Rating: 0
HelenElizabeth

OC.net

« on: April 01, 2004, 09:07:17 PM »

It  is  getting Close to  the  Holy  Week.  How  to  you all  feel After  a Other Great  Lent? I  feel it  has  brought  me  closer  to God. I  also  Have  a Great  Joy.

NULL
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 09:16:30 PM »

Sadly, I didn't take advantage of these holy days as I should've.  I realised that when I flipped through a RC periodical at work today and went through the section with the liturgical texts and readings for the Masses of the Easter season.  Some were inspiring, but I realised it (Paschaltide) wouldn't be the same without the preparation I should've made during Lent.  Hopefully, I will be able to use the remaining days in a spiritually profitable way.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 10:42:12 PM »

Today, I had a big mac with special sauce and a bottle of my favorite red.

Happy April Fool's everyone.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 11:25:31 PM »

Well being a schismatic RC, my fasting days are 2 per week and limited to solid foods (meats, treats etc). I felt that my medicinal use of certain beverages did not qualify.

Chow,

JB(Jim Beam or JB scotch, Just Booze, good initials have I)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 11:26:53 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
neworthodox

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 11:44:52 PM »

er - I had planned to be a much better person by now. So I feel  :'(
lellimore

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 11:58:23 PM »

Unfortunately, that makes two of us.
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 12:10:25 AM »

I've had a cold and some sort of bronchitis throughout all of Great Lent, so my fasting was abbreviated, and the last month and a half have been some of the most trying days i've had.  I haven't been able to do as much spiritual contemplation as i'd have liked to, but the pain/suffering/sickness has made me think "ah, I see You know how I'm feeling, and indeed You've suffered infinitely more than I have"  

I have a feeling Holy Week will be more affecting.  If only I didn't have an exam on Good Friday! Angry

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 10:52:05 AM »

This is my first fast as an orthodox christian. I'm working towards fasting in the literal sense of the word. I spent nearly 40 days abstaining from dairy, junk food and TV. (I'm already a vegetarian so the meat part wasn't so difficult Grin)  I have also limited my daily jaunts on the internet to 1 hour per day. Well, I haven't been perfect and was disappointed in myself Sad  

Last weekend, I travelled with some fellow orthodox christians to http://www.dormitionmonastery.com/ This was my second trip to the monastary but my first as an Orthodox christian. It was here I had time to really reflect and pray.  I feel renewed and that I'm back on track.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 10:52:44 AM by PhosZoe » Logged
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 03:48:44 AM »

Well, a bit tired, I guess. Yet wishing that maybe I had done the fasting at least a bit better...

NULL
Columcille

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 02:46:12 PM »

Actually I have had a very good Lent.  This is my first after my chrismation.  Confession early in Lent seems to have made a huge difference for me.  The fasting has been much easier this year.

"The way of God is a daily cross.  No one has ascended into heaven through an easy life."  St. Isaac of Syria
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 12:36:36 AM »

I am feeling quite ill from all the Cheese and Meat I ate after Liturgy this morning. Wink

Actually this lent seemed to go faster than last lent.  I can't wait till I get Baptized and get to do the fasts as an Orthodox Christian.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 04:45:09 AM »

I am feeling quite ill from all the Cheese and Meat I ate after Liturgy this morning. Wink

We've been through this before. We have since learned to ease ourselves back into the meat and dairy after Pascha Cheesy

I had no trouble fasting food wise but alas failed miserably again in restraining my passions Sad. I needed to pray a lot more than I eventually did and I suspect it is primarily because I was struggling under my own strength that I failed. I need to learn more and more to rely on God's strength.

John.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 01:27:50 PM »

I also had some weak moments and failings during the Lenten Fast and it was'nt as ridgid as the Eastern Fast.

May the Lord strengthen me for the next fast, which I will attempt to fullfill the Eastern requirements.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: