OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 07:38:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings all! *Newbie here*  (Read 906 times) Average Rating: 0
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« on: April 11, 2004, 08:11:03 PM »

Hello everybody!

I am a newcomer to this forum and I should let everyone know that my name is Aaron and as my profile states I am a 24 year old male and I live near Chicago, Illinois.

Here's a little info about myself: I was raised a protestant, in an indpendant Baptist church and was baptized there, was confirmed in the UMC, and lately I have been spending a lot of time in prayer trying to discern where God would have me be and what His will is for me.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have, so feel free to ask!  Smiley

I am looking forward to geting to know everyone and to participating in this forum.

A happy and joyous Pascha to all!

Christ is Risen!
Christos Anesti!
Christos Voskrese!

In Christ,
Aaron
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 08:37:52 PM »

Indeed He is risen!

Welcome, Aaron. Smiley
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 04:36:34 AM »

Christos Anesti!  Christ is Risen!

Welcome Aaron (wonderful name BTW),

I look forward to your involvement here. Please do take the time to let us know some essential details about yourself, primarily what is your favourite beer? Grin

John.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 04:37:04 AM by prodromos » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 12:11:51 PM »

Aaron,

I hope you find our forum a place where you can learn. Always supplement what you read here with discussion with a real Orthodox (not necessarily just a priest), with prayer, and with reading of scholarly sources, though!

anastasios
one of the admins

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
CDHealy

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

I'm a philosophy major.

chealy5
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 01:05:51 PM »

Aaron:

I'm an Orthodox wannabe myself, though I and my family are moving incrementally closer to Orthodoxy each day it seems.

I actually live in Chicago, and attend All Saints Orthodox Church, which I highly recommend.

Clifton D. Healy
email: chealy5@yahoo.com
blog: http://benedictseraphim.wordpress.com

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--Hamlet,
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 09:40:07 PM »

Aaron:

Indeed He is Risen!
Welcome to the site!  I hope you find it a positive step in your journey.

Clifton:

Glad to see you're still inching along. Smiley  How's the new baby doing?

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 01:05:28 AM »

Thank you so much everyone!    :happy:

Welcome Aaron (wonderful name BTW),

I look forward to your involvement here. Please do take the time to let us know some essential details about yourself, primarily what is your favourite beer?

Thanks for the compliment John. I've always taken a shine to it myself. :cheeky: I used to think it was kinda unique because I didn't run into many other Aarons, but I've been hearing it a lot more lately, so I guess it's more common than I thought!

Number one pet peeve about my name is people not knowing how to spell it!  :smiley6: I am always running into people who spell it with an "E" (using the Irish spelling "Erin"), or Aron, Arron, Aeren, etc.

I am usually pretty quick to say that it's spelled the biblical way - the exact same as Moses' brother, who was the high-priest for the twelve tribes of Israel.   Grin

Now, as far as the beer goes, I am going to have to think long and hard on that one, because I don't know if I can make an educated decision, because I haven't tasted them ALL

:smiley1:

I will be sure to pick one or several and post on the appropriate thread.  Grin

I hope you find our forum a place where you can learn. Always supplement what you read here with discussion with a real Orthodox (not necessarily just a priest), with prayer, and with reading of scholarly sources, though!

Anastasios,

Good words of advice for any newcomer! I certainly have sponged up plenty of info from this forum already just by going through all the posts! I've been doing a lot of reading up on Orthodoxy and have a growing collection of books, which I do not believe will never stop growing.

btw- In case you hadn't noticed, I am a quite a fan of all these smileys! I've never encountered such a wide selection on any other board. I don't believe that I will ever tire of them.

I'm an Orthodox wannabe myself, though I and my family are moving incrementally closer to Orthodoxy each day it seems.

I actually live in Chicago, and attend All Saints Orthodox Church, which I highly recommend.

Clifton,

What wonderful news! I am happy to hear that your family is journeying with you towards Holy Orthodoxy, I can't imagine how much joy that must bring to you!

I also appreciate your church recommendation. I live in a suburb about 25-30 minutes (dependant upon traffic) west of Chicago and I have visited at least one church out of most all of the Orthodox jurisdictions near me.

I recently celebrated Pascha with my local OCA church, as well as with a Byzantine Catholic church which is about half an hour from me. Matter of fact, it's the same church that Dan Lauffer goes to!

I am most interested in church architecture, music, liturgies and iconography - basically everything about a church, from the exterior to the interior and how they worship. I've visited many a church just because of this and I after I saw the gorgeous iconography at Dan's church, I had to see it in person!

Besides that fact, I had also never visited an Eastern Rite Catholic church before and I thought now was as good a time as any to see how much it differed from my previous experiences with Orthodoxy. I really don't know much of anything about Byzantine Catholicism, other than they're under the Pope of Rome but I am slowly learning more via the web.

One day I hope to go overseas and see some of the beautiful and historic churches that are there.

Another aspiration to go along with my champagne taste and beer pocket!   Wink

Well, I am off to go scour through some more of the posts on the forum. Again, if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

God bless,
Aaron
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 03:05:07 AM by Arystarcus » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: