OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 03:42:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blah... Help?  (Read 1007 times)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: November 17, 2010, 12:12:50 PM »

Ok, I don't know much Greek yet. None, really, unless you count a couple words "knowing Greek". Anyway, so I'm running into a problem. I want to form a certain phrase in Greek coherently, but I get the impression that I'm mixing and matching things in a very embarrassing way. What I want to say is something along the lines of "discerning via what seems reasonable" or "discerning through what seems reasonable" or some similar variation of that. The only word I have to use is eulogon or to eulogon in forming the phrase. A few ideas I've pieced together are...

1) diakrino meso tis to eulogon
2) diakrino to dromo eulogon

...or some variation of one of those. The term diakrino isn't absolutely necessary, but if I understand it correctly, I'd rather stick with it if I can. Thoughts?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:38:13 PM »

40 Reads and no thoughts? Not even a "What an asinine question!" response ...?  Cool

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »

Just so you don't feel you are being ignored....I thought I would reply.

However, I cannot be of any assistance, as I do not know Greek.

Grin

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 04:51:56 AM »

Ok, I don't know much Greek yet. None, really, unless you count a couple words "knowing Greek". Anyway, so I'm running into a problem. I want to form a certain phrase in Greek coherently, but I get the impression that I'm mixing and matching things in a very embarrassing way. What I want to say is something along the lines of "discerning via what seems reasonable" or "discerning through what seems reasonable" or some similar variation of that. The only word I have to use is eulogon or to eulogon in forming the phrase. A few ideas I've pieced together are...

1) diakrino meso tis to eulogon
2) diakrino to dromo eulogon

...or some variation of one of those. The term diakrino isn't absolutely necessary, but if I understand it correctly, I'd rather stick with it if I can. Thoughts?

discerning via what seems reasonable

διακρίνοντας μέσω ο τι φαίνεται λογικό = diakreenontas meso o ti fenete logiko

I discern - διακρίνω (verb)

discerning - διακρίνοντας (participle form)

SolEX01 has a discerning palate - O SolEX01 έχει μία γεύσι διακρινόντα (here, the feminine participle form is acting as an adjective modifying the noun, palate)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:52:44 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 11:01:29 AM »

Were you looking for Classical, Scriptural, Liturgical, or Modern Greek?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »

SolEX01, I hate to say this, but I'm evne more confused now!  Cheesy  Thank you, though, I will try to come back and reread what you wrote and understand more fully.

Fr. Chris,

That's a good question. The author that I'm dealing with (Arcesilaus) lived in the mid-3rd century BCE, so I assume it's Koine...? Weren't they using Koine by that point?

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:24:48 PM »

SolEX01, I hate to say this, but I'm evne more confused now!  Cheesy  Thank you, though, I will try to come back and reread what you wrote and understand more fully.

Kindly accept my apology for your confusion.   angel

That was the Modern Greek translation.  If you're looking for something from before Christ, that would be ancient Greek and I defer to those who are more fluent in ancient Greek than I.   Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 02:31:49 PM »

I just realised that I forgot to thank you for your post also, LizaSymonenko, and now for your second post SolEX01 Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: