OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 11:42:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what's your favorite book?  (Read 5745 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: November 17, 2010, 09:53:57 AM »

my favorite book on Orthodox topics is The Way of a Pilgrim

but, my favorite (secular) book EVER is Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol.  I was sick and terribly delusional, seeing things, as I get.  I opened up that book and saw it play out in my mind as I read!  it was amazing, and I felt like I was in the book!  (being a bit crazy has it's advantages!)

so, what are your favorite Orthodox book a/o secular book?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »

Favorite Book: Tao Te Ching
Favorite Book About Orthodoxy: Sayings of the Desert Fathers, ed. by Benedicta Ward
Favorite Book By A Contemporary Orthodox Author: Way of the Ascetics, by Tito Colliander
Favorite Other-Christian Book: Orthodoxy: The Romance of Faith, by G.K. Chesterton
Favorite Fiction: Notes From Underground, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Favorite Book That I'll Probably Never Read Again: The Gulag Archipelago, by Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book That I Claim To Love But Haven't Read In a Decade: Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book From My Youth: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, by C.S. Lewis
Favorite Book That I'm Currently Reading: Critique of Religion and Philosophy, by Walter Kaufmann
Favorite Book That I've Read For Entertainment's Sake: Have a Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks, by Mick Foley
Favorite Book of Poems: The Complete Poems of Paul Laurence Dunbar
Favorite Book on Fitness and Nutrition: Strength Training Anatomy, by Frederic Delavier
Favorite Book on Books/Writing: Writer's Market (2010 Edition)
Favorite Book on Philosophy: Greek Skepticism: Anti-Realist Trends in Ancient Thought, by Leo Groarke
Favorite Biography: Gilbert Keith Chesterton, by Maisie Ward
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:43:50 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »

So far. . . I think my favorite Orthodox Book (I'm sure this will change as I continue to read) is a tie between Father Arseny and The Sayings of the Desert Fathers.  Heh. . .and there are some very very close seconds and thirds! Smiley

Secular?  Hmm. . . Probably the Old Mother West Wind Stories (Volumes) . . . I don't think I've enjoyed anything nearly as much since. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:00:52 AM »

Favorite novel: The Lords of Discipline, by Pat Conroy.

Favorite Orthodox book: Go Forth!: Stories of Mission and Resurrection in Albania, by Fr. Luke Veronis.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

spcasuncoast.org
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:38:07 AM »

I'm surprised there hasn't been a wiseacre answering with "The Bible".  Oh wait, I guess I just did that.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:42:16 AM »

I'm surprised there hasn't been a wiseacre answering with "The Bible".  Oh wait, I guess I just did that.

Surprised some wiseacre didn't point out you hadn't chosen a book.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 11:50:11 AM »

Favorite Book About Orthodoxy: Sayings of the Desert Fathers, ed. by Benedicta Ward
Favorite Book By A Contemporary Orthodox Author: Way of the Ascetics, by Tito Colliander
Favorite Other-Christian Book: Orthodoxy: The Romance of Faith, by G.K. Chesterton
Favorite Book That I'll Probably Never Read Again: The Gulag Archipelago, by Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book That I Claim To Love But Haven't Read In a Decade: Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book From My Youth: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, by C.S. Lewis
Favorite Book That I'm Currently Reading: Critique of Religion and Philosophy, by Walter Kaufmann
Favorite Book That I've Read For Entertainment's Sake: Have a Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks, by Mick Foley
Favorite Book on Fitness and Nutrition: Strength Training Anatomy, by Frederic Delavier
Favorite Book on Philosophy: Greek Skepticism: Anti-Realist Trends in Ancient Thought, by Leo Groarke

Always dislike it when someone ask for my favorite x. I almost never have an answer. Ice cream flavor is about the only answer I have nailed down for sure. And yet I love to read lists of what others offer.

Do always find it funny when someone has more than one favorite. Nice job on your list. Gives me something to think about.

Also, I have to ask myself does favorite mean:

The one I like the most?
Or the one I think is best?

Often they are not they same.

A few questions about your list:

How do you use:

And why are you reading:

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 12:04:34 PM »

Eastern Orthodox: In no particular order;
  1. The Mountain of Silence by Dr. Kyriacos Markides
  2. The Way of a Pilgrim .
  3 The Law of God by Fr. Serafim Slobodskoy
  4. Fr. Arseny: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father by Vera Bouteneff.
  5. Orthodox Psychotherapy by +Met. HIEROTHEOS
  6. The Heart: An Orthodox Christian Spiritual Guide by Archimandrite Spyridon Logothetis
  7. Functional and Dysfunctional Christianity by Philotheos Faros (recommended by our good friend and former poster, Ozgeorge.)

Secular:
  1. Cannery Row by John Steinback
  2. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  3. How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
  4. How The Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill
  5. History of Ireland by Malachy McCourt

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 12:26:16 PM »

I really enjoyed reading the 3 books in the Chet and Bernie Mysteries.

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Dog-on-It/Spencer-Quinn/9781416585831

These are detective mysteries, written from the dog's point of view.  For anyone who owns or is owned by a dog will get a kick out of these.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 12:36:43 PM »

Voltaire's Candide, ou l'Optimisme

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 12:37:40 PM »

orthonorm,

I know what you mean about the favorite/best thing. Regarding using the Sayings of the Desert Fathers, I'm not sure to what extent I use it. There's joy in reading it, and perhaps some inspiration. Insight into the human condition as well. For example, the Desert Fathers take Maslow's "hierarchy of needs" and smashes the theory into a million bits, I think. Regarding the book by Kaufmann, it's a great book. It has quite a few lines that I think are interesting, such as (taken from the first 20 pages or so)...

"Whatever professors of philosophy take up nowadays tends to become scholastic, and the rigor of the scholastics is rigor mortis."

"A philosophic book is almost a contradiction in terms. Socrates knew this and did not even try to write; Plato knew it and wrote dialogues--in which arguments alternate with myths, and epigrams with digressions--as well as a letter in which he insisted that his dialogues did not really contain his philosophy. In a sense, Plato's dialogues, however artfully organized, are fragments of the mind's soliloquy: invitations to a philosophic life."

"Bacon suggested: being bees or spiders. Some thinkers, like the ant, collect; some, like the spider, spin; some, like the bee, collect, transform by adding of their substance, and create. Vary the metaphor. Men are so many larvae, crawling, wriggling, eating--living in two dimensions. Many die while in this state. Some are transofrmed and take a single flight before they settle down to live as ants. Few become butterflies and revel in their new-found talent, a delight to all."

"Why did so few of the great philosophers laugh? ...Is all this due to the weight of tradition, or perhaps related to the prohibition of laughter in church? After all, the young Plato could laugh, and so could Shakespeare, even in Lear and Macbeth. And Goethe. And Dostoevsky. But if one can laugh in Lear, why not in the Critique of Practical Reason? Is the mad Lear funnier than Kant's postulate of God?"

"There are two kinds of philosophers. Both go out with similar hopes and acquire some competence. But to one kind you must give a topic. (After a while he may learn to think up his own.) The topic may be small or nothing less than a system: what matters is that it is primary, and the writer then brings to bear on it what competence he has. The other kind of writer has something to say before he is sure to what topic it will be most relevant. he writes first, and the outline comes afterward if at all--not to help him decide what to say but to assist him in organizing what he has said."

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »

I would say that St. Thomas' Summas are on the top of my list, along with works on Thomism as well as On Being and Essence, De Veritatae, his scriptural commentaries, and his commentaries on Aristotle.
St. John of the Cross (The Ascent of Mt. Carmel, and The Dark Night of the Soul)
St. Teresa of Avila (The Way of Perfection, and The Interior Castle)
The Imitation of Christ
I really like Josef Pieper (In Defense of Philosophy, Living the Truth, The Silence of St. Thomas)
Jaques Maritain (Existence and the Existent, Degrees of Knolege, Preface to Metaphysics)
Etiennne Gilson (God and Philosophy)
Norris Clarke (The One and the Many)
Peter Kreeft (Socrates Meets Kant, Socrates Meets Decartes, Socrates Meets Hume, Socrates Meets Marx, Handbook of Christian Apologetics, Socrates Meets Jesus)
C.S. Lewis (Mere Christianity, Miracles, The Abolition of Man, The Cronciles of Narnia, and his space trilogy)
Tolkien (The HObbit, The Lord of Rings, The Silmarillion)
Aristotle (Physics, De Anima, Posterior Analytics, Metaphysics, Ethics)
Plato (Theatetus, and others)

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »

These are detective mysteries, written from the dog's point of view.  For anyone who owns or is owned by a dog will get a kick out of these.

Those were good.   Smiley

spcasuncoast.org
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 06:22:38 PM »

Those were good.   Smiley

Kool, glad to know I'm not the only reading them. I see my 2 beagles in Chet...lol

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

OCA

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »

I can never nail it down to just one choice either.   I'm glad other's haven't either, because I also enjoy lists  Grin

Favorite Orthodox books:

Fr. Arsney
Oil & Water, Bread & Wine by Archmandrite Webber - it goes very well with the lecture series he did over at AFR
A Light from the Christian East by Payton
Sayings of the Desert Fathers
Courage to Pray and Beginning to Pray by Bloom
Great Lent by Schmemann

Favorite Christian non-Orthodox books:

Return of the Prodigal by Nouwen
With Burning Hearts by Nouwen
Brendan by Buechner - maybe this one should go under novels??
A Sacred Journey by Buechner
Peculiar Treasures by Buechner
On the Road with the Archangel by Buechner
The Irrational Season by L'Engle

Favorite Novels

Lord of the Rings Trilogy (I like the first and the last one best)
Perelandra by Lewis
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Clarke (the best book I read in 08)
Out of Africa by Dinesen
The Eyre Affair, et al by Fforde
The Pooh books by Milne
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 07:43:14 PM »

My favourite (non-Orthodox) books:

Paradise Lost by John Milton
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany
Zhuangzi

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 01:56:31 AM »

Oil & Water, Bread & Wine by Archmandrite Webber - it goes very well with the lecture series he did over at AFR

I'm actually reading this one now.  I'm about 2/3 through it and really like it.  There are parts that, to me, were a bit dry, but overall, it's worth reading.  I'd even say it's worth owning. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 07:24:30 AM »

I'm actually reading this one now.  I'm about 2/3 through it and really like it.  There are parts that, to me, were a bit dry, but overall, it's worth reading.  I'd even say it's worth owning. 

Now that you mention it, I remember the ending not being nearly as good as the beginning too.
peccatorum
Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus

Faith: roman catholic
Jurisdiction: Brazil

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 08:08:27 AM »

Os Lusíadas, by Luís de Camões, Paradise Lost, by John Milton, all the works of Shakespeare (I mean, I am fascinated for the renaissance literature at all, Dante Alighieri, Miguel de Cervantes, all of them), Whuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, (I am also fascinated for romantism, and America is great, because you got the transcendentalists, I love Emmerson!), Faust, The Young Werter, that is translated in portuguese as "The Suffering of Young Werter", Storm and Drang, Les Miserables, The Three Musketeers, and of course, my own Brasilian romantics, with the poor lady "Iracema" (try this one, it's so beautiful!The romantism lovers will be marvelled with it), The Guarani, The Little Widow, Luciola, all by José de Alencar,  and of course I would not forget the great Machado de Assis, with his "The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas", The Prince, by Dostoyevsky, Ulysses, by James Joyce, The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and, of course, the greatest novel of the second half of the 20th century: the lord of the rings!
Just for record: I HATE all the books of Harry Potter and The Twilight Saga. They should build a city (i think it would be possible, since they sold zillions of books) with them and burn it to the ground.

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy;
Blessed are the pure in the heart, for they shall see God".
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 08:34:01 AM »

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 10:34:26 AM »

Some of my faves...

Orthodox books:

"The Way of the Pilgrim"
"Mountain of Silence" - Kyriakos C. Markides
"Father Arseny"
"The Orthodox Way" - Bishop Kallistos

Other non-fiction:

"The Perennial Philosophy" - Aldous Huxley
"The Fullness of God" - Frithjof Schuon on Christianity
"Meditations on the Tarot - an Introduction into Christian Hermeticism" - Anonymous
"The Seven Storey Mountain" - Thomas Merton

Fiction:
"Crime and Punishment" and "The Brothers Karamazov" - Dostoevsky
"Siddhartha" - Hermann Hesse

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:50 PM »

I think that I forgot to add my favorite Shakesphere plays.

Othello is my favorite, followed by Macbeth, and Hamlet.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »

Me too!   Smiley 

spcasuncoast.org
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 02:45:53 PM »

Me too!   Smiley 
I think Greorge Lukas' Star Wars Pre-quels would have been MUCH better if Anakin would have truely been an Othello type character. I think he tried to do this, but failed.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 02:51:37 PM »

The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hašek.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 03:37:02 PM »

Iago is, by far, one of my favourite literary characters.  Sheer brilliance.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »

Moby-Dick or, The Whale

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 04:16:54 PM »

The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hašek.
That is one of my favorite books also. I hear that the original Czech version is better than the Polish translations out there.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 12:51:31 AM »

Some other favorites I've thought of since my last list...

Favorite Book to Read When I was a Protestant: The Debate about the Bible: Inerrancy versus Infallibility, by Stephen T. Davis
Favorite Book Written by an Unbeliever Who Later Became a Believer: Paul: The Mind of the Apostle, by A.N. Wilson
Favorite Work of Fiction By an English Author Not Named Tolkien: Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
Favorite Journalistic/Non-Fiction Book: Monkey Girl: Evolution, Education, Religion, and the Battle for America's Soul, by Edward Humes
Favorite Book on History: Constantinople in the Age of Justinian, by Glanville Downey
Favorite Book About a Saint: Gregory of Nazianzus: An Intellectual Biography, by Fr. John Anthony McGuckin
Favorite Dumbed-Down Book: What Nietzsche Really Said, by Robert Solomon and Kathleen M. Higgins*
Favorite Book About Movies: The Evil Dead Companion, by Bill Warren

*I don't buy those "dummies" or "idiots" books, so this is as close as I've got.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »

Check this one off the list angel I just got the first volume from the library and plan on reading through The Gulag Archipelago again over the next month or two.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 04:01:01 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I just recently finished "The Fencing Master" by Arturo Perez-Reverte, and I simply adore it.  

Perez-Reverte is Spanish novelist who writes the perfect blends of piety/religious imagery and symbolism to a more "gritty and gangster" side of life which I must admit is quite similar to my own upbringing here in the Los Angeles area.  

I just love every bit about his fiction, the tangible descriptions, the potent insights, the brilliant allusions/alliterations, the churning plot twists!  Pure and absolute genius!

I also adore a German named Patrick Suskind who writes smaller novels that are somehow sublimely bitter without being nihilistic, which is quite hard to capture.

Aside from those and a few classics, I usually am absorbed in an eclectic pile of history and religious texts.  For example, bookmarked on my table right now is a book on Saint Anthony, one on medieval Ethiopia, the Letter of Saint Basil, and an even more boring National Geographic about Human Evolution out of the Ethiopian highlands.

I'm the most exciting boring person y'all might know Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:18:02 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 04:03:57 PM »

This thread is like asking me to pick a favorite child.  Angry I'm only in my mid-twenties, are we even allowed to have favorite books yet?  Cheesy

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »

This thread is like asking me to pick a favorite child.  Angry I'm only in my mid-twenties, are we even allowed to have favorite books yet?  Cheesy

Just pick 20 like I did  Tongue

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »

If they are honest, every parent has a favorite kid. They know it and the kids certainly do.

Perfectly normal.

A favorite book is much tougher to decide. Again not much into "favorites" questions. Most answers I doubt are honest which are given anyhow. Sorta why I like iTunes. When people ask what I like to listen to, I will say one thing, iTunes says another. Keeps me honest.

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »

Favorite theological book:

Nicene Fathers series  Tongue

Favorite Classical Period Book:

The Odyssey

Favorite Medieval Book:

Le Morte D'Arthur (sorry, Dante)

Favorite Early-modern English Book:

Paradise Lost

Favorite Victorian Book:

Sherlock Holmes, all of them. (Sorry, Stoker)

Favorite 20th Century Book:

The Lord of the Rings

Favorite 20th Century author

CS Lewis (about the only way to compromise between Tolkien and Lewis).

Favorite book that has been adapted into a movie that also counts as a favorite:

The Princess Bride

Favorite Graphic Novel:

The Dark Knight Returns

Favorite on-going comic book:

Three-way tie- The Incredible Hulk, The Amazing Spider-man, Batman

Favorite comic book author:

Alan Moore

I believe that covers all the bases.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »

Dostoyevski (basically anything).

Martin Eden by Jack London.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 05:27:11 PM »

Ukrainian literature (in English): Irene Zabytko, The Sky Unwashed

Travel Writing about Russia: Sharon Hudgins, The Other Side of Russia: A Slice of Life in Siberia and the Russian Far East (ridiculously thorough, and DON'T read during Lent because her food descriptions are plentiful and mouth-watering)

Russian lit (Gulag lit as I call it -- I have about 20 books dedicated to this subject alone...have only read Dostoevky's short stories so far...) : Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Holocaust literature: Clara Kramer, Clara's War

I can't help myself, I love all of Asne Seierstad's books. I don't agree with her political views and I believe the allegations that she does skew her anecdotes (who doesn't, especially if you're getting second-hand stories from a translator or if you are relying on a set of unreliable witnesses), but the stories that she tells are just amazing. With their Backs to the World: Portraits from Serbia is my favorite one of her books.

Hah, I am just going to keep listing really specific categories. I can't wait to go through this thread and get some more book recs (like I really need any more right now).

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 05:39:01 PM »

One of my favorite writers of all time is GK Chesterton. He writes with such wit I literally laugh out loud and I love how conversational he writes; as though he's simply narrating. The Everlasting Man and Orthodoxy  are the cream of his crop. His book on Francis of Asisi is interesting as well.

Have never like novels. I suppose I have movies for that haha.

Brennan Manning wrote The Wisdom of Tenderness which is probably the book that most impacted my life.

Some other good ones: On the Prayer of Jesus, The Way of the Pilgrim (of course), and then Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places and The Jesus Way by Eugene Peterson. There is one more book in Mr. Peterson's series called Eat This Book which I hope to read soon, but I'm sure you all know how reading lists go haha.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
all the works of Shakespeare 

The Three Musketeers,

Shakespeare is some good stuff, Julius Caesar is one of my all time favorites, it has so many words to live be.
" 'Who are traitors?' 'Traitors are men who swear and then lie, all traitors must be hanged.' 'And who will hang them?' 'Honest men of course' " Wink

and how could I forget Dumas?

Oil & Water, Bread & Wine by Archmandrite Webber

On the Road with the Archangel by Buechner
The Irrational Season by L'Engle

Father Webber's book literally changed my life, I am forever in his debt and gratitude that God could send my such a perfectly hand-tailored book to my needs, I read it almost daily alongside the Scriptures! It REALLY helps me keep my head straight, it should be part of the universal Orthodox Catechism Smiley

and L' Engle, I simply adore her books, they are a delight.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Alcuin

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »

I don't know if I could give favorite "books", period, but my favorite authors are probably:

Thomas Aquinas
Dante Alighieri
James Joyce
T.S. Eliot
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 04:12:34 PM »

Paradise Lost by John Milton
Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory
The King of Ireland's Son by Padraic Colum
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany
The book of Zhuangzi
King Lear by Shakespeare
Pretty much any classic fairy tale book

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

I'm trying to think of the books that have moved me and changed me.

I know it's a play, but Death of Salesman made a huge impact on me. Same with Siddartha.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

The book that I continually revisit again and again, even from my childhood, is the book of Revelation. As an artist, it just captivated my imagination so much and has influenced much of my own art. I can easily see why this book was so controversial to be included in the NT canon, but it is extradonairy. Might be the best book ever written.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

Virgil's Aeneid and Plato's Symposium (Apology) are up there. But in the Golden Key by George MacDonald and the Everlasting Man by GK Chesterton too.

Amazing taste in books, that reflects alot of what I was thinking of putting down.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2011, 07:51:10 PM »

Was going to post some reviews and came by this thread again.

Most important text I read and that I read continually: Being and Time by Martin Heidegger, arguably the most important work of non-fiction in the 20th century. All philosophy begins here. His entire corpus is included in my list, but you must start with B&T. No Heidegger, no Orthodoxy for me.

Book that surprised me the most by how it affected me and continues to do so: Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland. Was "stranded" for weeks and this was the only book available and I was running out of my usual distractions and getting rather sick. So picked this text up with severe reservation and desire to mock it. The final chapter still gets to me after dozens of readings. Not sure I would recommend it to anyone, but it has survived my culling of thousands of books.

Author that almost no one truly reads and brazenly misunderstands and who I love: Nietzsche. Beyond Good and Evil and Ecce Homo simply some of the greatest works of irony, especially the latter. I can probably pretty much rattle off from memory the preface. The first sentence alone speaks volumes. One of the few times I sighed in disappointment listening to Fr. Thomas Hopko was when he called Neech a Nazi philosopher.

"Fiction" Classics-wise? That is terribly difficult, but if I had to judge by how often I read a text, then it is the Oresteia and I can whittle it down to the Agamemnon. Lattimore over Fitzgerald. But how I love the ridiculously extended metaphors and similes in the Iliad and its (traditional) incredibly beautiful "end".

Poetry? Strange way there, but Emily Dickinson, especially her later work. While working on some research into Paul Celan, I came across his translations of her work into German and found through him a singular poet who I had written off as the voice of angsty teen-aged girls. Evidently, the average artsy fourteen year old girl knows more than I do.

So far Orthodoxy-wise:

The sayings of the Desert Fathers. And again I could reduce to that to simply the saying of St. Anthony for now.

Great Lent by Father Alexander Schmemann. Being a baby, this text is just so rich for me, within and without Lent.

The Gospel of St. Mark without the later ending. Always was my favorite as a kid and remains so to this day, if one can have such conceit to measure the Gospels in such a manner. Direct, stark, no nonsense, and a provocative ending for those expecting the story to end a little differently.

Again, as I have said, I don't like favorites.

But if you had to take all my books away at this point in my life save one, without any false piety, I would keep my Oxford Annotated RSV. It is the most important in my life now on a daily basis. But I would not have gotten there again without Heidegger and Neech and through everything else they opened up.

FWIW.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: