OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:43:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Submission and Obedience  (Read 5682 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« on: April 01, 2004, 03:23:34 AM »

I have called His HOliness Pope Michael I currently residing in Delia KS.  I have submitted to his spiritual authority and am being prepared to be recieved into the really truly true Catholic Church.  He is preparing me for ordination once some bishops can be found.

BTW, happy april fools day everyone!

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 08:44:50 AM »

Wow. Sometimes you are a very scary Joe!
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 11:27:36 AM »

Wow Joe, for a second there I thought I'd have to give you a good spiritual virtual browbeating...  
Is Outrage!!!

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 11:31:43 AM »

http://popemichael.homestead.com/

Is this who you are talking about?

LOL
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 11:32:47 AM »

Yeah, good one, Joe.

Obviously, you must make your submission to Benny Hinn.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 11:40:22 AM »

LOL

Wow!

I felt like Rod Serling was standing at my shoulder as I read through that site.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
theodore

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 01:22:04 PM »

LOL

Hilarious.  It appears that Pope Michael reigns from the basement of his Mom's house in Kansas.  I'll bet the REAL Pope, Pius XIII isn't amused.
http://www.truecatholic.org/pope/

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 02:06:19 PM »

That's the one.  AKA David Bawden, co-author of "Will the Catholic Church Survive the Twentieth Century" as well as several other less than scholarly works.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 03:15:43 PM »

At least Michael I is honest and doesn't call himself a Bishop.   This is how Fr. Pulvermacher AKA Pope Pius XIII got his Succession:

1.Fr. Pulvermacher is elected Pope and takes name Pius XIII

2.Pius XIII declares one of his supporters a Cardinal--who has never even had any of the minor orders

3.Cardinal Bateman(the false cardinal above) "Consecrates" Pius XIII as a bishop.

4.Pius XIII ordains Cardinal Bateman up through the minor orders and major orders all the way to Bishop.

Cardinal Bateman is currently heading a sedevacantist organization out of Australia.   His organization is getting ready to hold a conclave and elect a new pope--which will undouptably be Cardinal Bateman.

At present there are 13 claimants to the Papal throne still alive other than JPII, including a woman in Canada.

Joe Zollars

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 03:23:47 PM »

Just thought I'd share these pictures of some pretty wild masses.

http://www.traditio.com/nos.htm

I'm laughing and crying over here.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 05:03:38 PM »

Hilarious.  It appears that Pope Michael reigns from the basement of his Mom's house in Kansas.  I'll bet the REAL Pope, Pius XIII isn't amused.
http://www.truecatholic.org/pope/

ROFL! Maybe they should have a duel.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 05:15:15 PM »

I have been instructed by his Holiness Pope Micahael to inform you that those are not Masses but rather Messes.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 06:19:53 PM »

hmm I should point out as a side note, that Michael I has been pope for a decade longer than Pius XIII.

Joe Zollars

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 01:33:51 PM »

Wow!

That stuff looks a lot like what one can see in any number of liberal Protestant churches.

Weird.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 01:38:29 PM »

<traditionalist RC sentiments resurfacing> that's because it is Protestant!</traditionalalist RC sentiments resurfacing>

Joe Zollars

PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004, 01:44:52 PM »

The clown mass... I'm not going to be able to sleep this week.  Shocked
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2004, 01:49:06 PM »

Oh, my... Shocked

And to think that some decry a few pews here and there in the Orthodox world...

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2004, 02:20:47 PM »

Oh, my... Shocked

And to think that some decry a few pews here and there in the Orthodox world...

Demetri

And then there are those who come here and try to convince us that there is very little difference between Orthodox Catholicity and Roman Catholicity!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2004, 02:34:30 PM »

That stuff looks a lot like what one can see in any number of liberal Protestant churches.

Well, my absolutely worst liturgical moment ever was in a UCC church:

The "Doris Day" litany.

Think of "Que Sera, Sera" with the refrain as antiphon.

I'm not making this up!

But I dunno-- people who worry about consecrating bagels have too much time on their hands. The problem isn't validity or invalidity of the rite; the problem is pandering. If it's a weekday mass in the campus chapel, and the only thing available for consecration is a bagel, then why not consecrate it?
Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2004, 02:35:58 PM »

And then there are those who come here and try to convince us that there is very little difference between Orthodox Catholicity and Roman Catholicity!

It's all a matter of perspective.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2004, 03:13:37 PM »

because a bagel contains all sorts of matter that is not apropriate for the Eucharist.  From a RC perspective, even if one thought the NO was a Mass, he couldn't believe that bagel to truly be the Eucharist.  For instance if he genuflected to a tabernacle containing it, he would be guilty of Idolotry from a Roman Perspective.  This is straight out of any number of Catechetical books.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2004, 03:15:53 PM »

perspective? maybe blindness.  How can one say that the sublime services of hte Orthodox Church are even close to being on the same level as even the Tridentine Mass or AU Mass--let alone the garbage that was linked too.   I do not say this lightly, and if you know me at all you know I have spent years promoting the TLM, but it is like a hershey's bar compared to the good stuf from Switzerland.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2004, 03:21:09 PM »

I offer these opinions as neither Orthodox or trad RC since I am neither at the moment but just simply my personal observations.

And yes I realize and recognize that the Latin Mass is infinitly closer to the Orthodox Liturgy of Old Rome than the NO is.

Joe Zollars

Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2004, 03:34:55 PM »

What's in a bagel?

You're missing the point, Joe. The problem with the bagel isn't what's in it; it's what using it means, in the context of its use. As a field expedient, it's bread. As the centerpiece of Sunday mass, it's an expression of-- well, maybe not frivolity, but definitely a reaction against solemnity.

Scrupulosity about the elements backfires easily against hosts. "Angelic fish food wafers" (to quote Fr. Capon) don't register to most people as bread. And in many respects they exist precisely because the reality of genuine bread offends the scrupulous. I once obtained genuine unleavened bread for a Catholic priests: matzos. Do you know what happens when you break a matzo? It explodes with crumbs, followed immediately by the more excessively pious members of the altar guild. But that is what real unleavened bread does.

Breaking bread with a rice cracker is as much of a scandal to some as using a bagel, when it comes to the substance.
Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2004, 03:51:20 PM »

perspective? maybe blindness.  How can one say that the sublime services of hte Orthodox Church are even close to being on the same level as even the Tridentine Mass or AU Mass--let alone the garbage that was linked too.   I do not say this lightly, and if you know me at all you know I have spent years promoting the TLM, but it is like a hershey's bar compared to the good stuf from Switzerland.

I dunno about that, Joe: plenty of people think that Hershey's Special Dark is pretty good. Swiss chocolate and Orthodox liturgy are often as not surrounded by a lot of snobbery.

So I'm singing at a wedding at St. Nick's OCA, one of maybe two Protestants there, and I'm thinking, "Why the heck can't these guys shut up??" It seems to take a Protestant-- or an ex-Protestant-- to treat the occaision with the respect, not to mention revence, that it calls for.

Reverence, when all is said and done, resides in the hearts of the congregants, not in the substance of the rite. In this the NO "reformers" are right. Where they go wrong is forgetting that the substance-- normally-- exhibits one's reverence anyway.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2004, 03:54:24 PM »

well of course not, they should be using the proper Azymes but that is beside the point.

Pius V decried that a Roman Mass could not be celebrated with anything other than Grape Whine and Wheat bread consisting of nothing more than Flour, Water, and salt.  this was confirmed by Trent, which also expressly stated that to say Mass with anything else results in an automatic excommuncation.  According to Roman Theology, only the Pope can absolve this excommunication.  

As for the Altar guild comment, would not a similar event occur if (God Forbid!) a Priest dropped a piece of the Sacred Mysteries on the floor?  Of course it would, and should.  Its something called reverence for the Divine.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2004, 04:00:39 PM »

Keble I respectfully disagree.  Reverence, while the laity play a big part, is not even a tenth of the equation.  One must also have proper theology in addition to proper reverence.  One must give correct Glory to God.

Joe Zollars

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2004, 04:22:52 PM »

Abuses cannot be equated with what a the Latin Church teaches.  Eastern Catholics and Orthodox should be thankful such absues do not occur in their Churches.  On the otherhand pointing to the above abuses as if they are something the Latin Church sanctions is wrong.  If you want to see what a current Roman Rite Mass should look like turn on EWTN, the rubrics are followed perfectly.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2004, 04:56:05 PM »

well of course not, they should be using the proper Azymes but that is beside the point.

Pius V decried that a Roman Mass could not be celebrated with anything other than Grape Whine and Wheat bread consisting of nothing more than Flour, Water, and salt.  this was confirmed by Trent, which also expressly stated that to say Mass with anything else results in an automatic excommuncation.  According to Roman Theology, only the Pope can absolve this excommunication.  

That's plainly a prudential declaration and one which hasn't pertained through church history; Orthodox churches insist that the bread be leavened, while Anglicans have gone back and forth and finally decided that as long as it was bread it didn't matter. And it's not a matter of theology, but of church discipline.

As for the Altar guild comment, would not a similar event occur if (God Forbid!) a Priest dropped a piece of the Sacred Mysteries on the floor?

Well, as it happens our altar guild reserves a special vacuum cleaner for cleaning around the altar and takes care to empty it into the piscina. If the priest drops a host (or a piece of bread), he just picks it up and eats it. It happens. People should be more concerned about whether the priest is having a stroke.
Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2004, 05:13:43 PM »

Keble I respectfully disagree.  Reverence, while the laity play a big part, is not even a tenth of the equation.  One must also have proper theology in addition to proper reverence.  One must give correct Glory to God.

I don't think it comes in fractions.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2004, 07:29:35 PM »

man it was a figure of speech.  of course it doesn't come in fractions.  Thus if someone gets something wrong, they have it all wrong.

As for abuses in the NO, if one did it in Latin and even facing the altar, it still would not have the same theological weight as the Old Latin Mass.  I have seen both.  There is no compare, other than the thin veneer of the outward appearance.

Joe Zollars

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2004, 10:30:01 PM »

Joe,

Then you do not understand the Roman Rite.  You have not spent enough time in any Church to have a good comprehension of the Liturgy let alone critique that of Church you don't belong to. The core remains the same and done reverently it is inspiring.  that is not to say one has to agree with every change or that there is no room for improvement.

Fr. Deacon Lance

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2004, 11:14:57 PM »

Abuses cannot be equated with what a the Latin Church teaches.  Eastern Catholics and Orthodox should be thankful such absues do not occur in their Churches.  
Fr. Deacon Lance

Fr. Deacon,

Is not the Catholic Church your Church, despite the differences in Eastern Catholic practice?

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2004, 01:16:51 AM »

I based those statements not on my own opinions solely but only after extensive research and reading many books on the subject--and not only from traditionalist sources either.   Also I have seen the NO.  My dad is a "Eucharistic Minister" therein.  I have attended many of these false services, even in Latin and Ad Orientem (the First Mass of a very good friend).  I have seen the immense beauty of the Tridentine Mass and all its dependent services.  I was an Altar Boy at the Immemoriable Latin Mass on more than one occasion and was almost a Seminarian for the FSSP.  I have seen the HIgh Masses, Low Masses, and Solemn Masses not to mention the hundreds of Benedections, Perpetual Help Devotions, etc. I have attended and the two years reciting the Breviary.   There is an immense difference.  The NO may be reverent and beautiful, but there has to be more than that for them to be true and God Pleasing.  Bach's lutheran services are an immensely beautiful artistic achievement as is St. Paul's in London.  That doesn't make them true.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2004, 01:18:50 AM »

of course even the most solemn of Pontifical High Masses is nothing compared to the simplest of Orthodox Church services.  For the Orthodox Services are truly God-pleasing whereas the Latin Mass (as well as any Catholic Service) merely plays to the passions of men.

Joe Zollars

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2004, 01:35:52 AM »

of course even the most solemn of Pontifical High Masses is nothing compared to the simplest of Orthodox Church services.  For the Orthodox Services are truly God-pleasing whereas the Latin Mass (as well as any Catholic Service) merely plays to the passions of men.

Maybe, but if I had only two options for Sunday worship--a Tridentine High Mass or the average SCOBA parish's Divine Liturgy--and I was making my decision purely on aesthetics (some of those "passions of men", no doubt), I would opt for the High Mass in a second.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2004, 01:47:20 AM »

as would I, if I was basing the decision on aesthetics alone.  It has been my experience that the singing in the Orthodox Churches grates against the ears of this individual used to the quiet beauty of Gregorian Chant and Sacred Polyphony.  However, there is something there in the Orthodox Church that is not there in the Latin Mass.  I won't bother trying to give it a name.

However, if your ever in the neighborhood and your in the mood for a good HighMass, may I suggest Our Lady of Clear Creek Priory in Hulbert OK.   The chanting is immense (as one can expect from this doaughter house of Fontgaumboult Abby).  They do have some Liturgical oddities to say the least and their chapel is shall we say rather plain being a converted horse barn.  But it is a really cool place. I used to lvoe going there real early int he morning for Matins followed by Low Mass.  All Seven Side Altars were used!

Joe Zollars

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2004, 01:49:24 AM »

Of course, I should add that the Syrian Rite is better than either of the options I mentioned above.  Then again, you might think I'm a little biased.  Wink

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2004, 01:50:08 AM »

I'd like to visit Clear Creek at some point; I don't know when I'd be able to make it out there, though.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2004, 01:55:27 AM »

Clear Creek is really cool--and the monks are good cooks too!  I have had many conversations with the monks there (they are native kansans after all).  They are kind, humble people.   I once gave considerable thought to becoming a monk there, but determined it wasn't the life for me.   I would point out one downside is that their High Mass is more 1965 missal rather than 62 missal.  But other than that it is a wonderful place.  They are building their new abby right now.  They started with a bridge that looks like it was dropped right out of medeival france, and now they are working on the big Church.  It should be an amazing site when it is completed.  I hope they stay as close to medeival architectural patterns as the bridge.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2004, 01:58:26 AM »

I believe Subdeacon Benjamen Anderson of the AWRV wrote an article on Clear Creek a few months back.  I shall have to try and locate it if I can.

Joe Zollars

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2004, 11:30:58 AM »

Peter,

The Catholic Church is my Church, but the Latin Church is not my Church.  The referenced abuses do not occur in my Byzantine Catholic Church.  That is not to say the abuses do not concern me, but neither do they directly affect me nor can I do anything about them.

Fr. Deacon Lance

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2004, 02:27:41 PM »

Bach's lutheran services are an immensely beautiful artistic achievement as is St. Paul's in London.  That doesn't make them true.

Joe Zollars

Neither does it make them false, I think.  Bach wrote his music to the Glory of God. I think Sir Christopher Wren was not just thinking of pleasing himself, but wanted to do his best to make a house fit for the Lord...

But then, I believe that the services I go to off a Sunday and the BCP are meant to be God-ward as well.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2004, 02:30:49 PM »

as would I, if I was basing the decision on aesthetics alone.  It has been my experience that the singing in the Orthodox Churches grates against the ears of this individual used to the quiet beauty of Gregorian Chant and Sacred Polyphony.  However, there is something there in the Orthodox Church that is not there in the Latin Mass.  I won't bother trying to give it a name.
Joe Zollars

It might be possible that for you there is something in the EO that is not in the Latin Mass.  For another it might be the reverse.  For another, Anglican chant and Evensong is where God touches them.  All are Christian.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2004, 07:08:54 PM »

http://abclocal.go.com/images/slide18_blessing_bread.jpg

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2004, 07:10:03 PM »

The above is from the funeral of a RC bishop (presumably somewhere in America), and those are bishops celebrating the Funeral Mass.  Do they really make hosts of that type?  I'll have to check at work, but honestly, that looks like a big Chips Ahoy cookie.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2004, 04:11:06 PM »

It looks like a large pita bread to me.

Ebor

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: