OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 11:13:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Orphans  (Read 293 times) Average Rating: 0
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« on: November 16, 2010, 02:30:23 PM »

I recently spoke to a lady at church about something I was really bothered by. She told me about a program, largely administered by Amnerican Evangelicals, in which Russian orphans may be adopted and brought to the US and West. Many of these kids have physical and mental handicaps. When I asked her what role the Russian Orthodox church, or that is more precisely the Orthodox Church in Russia, has played, she told me that it has done nothing.
Naturally my first question is "why not?"
If anyone can shed light on this, that would be great

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Andrea

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 03:02:15 PM »

I don't know about what happens in Russia, but I was happy to come across this info one time and see that these churches help support an orphanage in Russia:

http://www.sthermanchurch.org/orphanage.html
http://sainttikhon.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=58

Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »

This is largely because all childcare institutions within the territory of the former USSR were taken over by the various governments, and the influence of the Church in the trafficking of orphans has been effectively quashed.

My (Greek Orthodox) pastor, several years ago, undertook to adopt two Russian orphan sisters from an orphanage in Smolensk.  Owing to the orphanage's being a government institution, the hassles, red tape, and bribery that went on were almost insurmountable, but he finally got them here, and they're both now in college and still Orthodox.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: