OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 12:27:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evangelism?  (Read 1463 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: November 16, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »

Some of you may remember some of my inquiries this summer, when I was living in Russia and began to inquire into Orthodoxy (I'm a Roman Catholic, and my wife is Russian Orthodox). I have taken a long hiatus from any active internet searching, in favor of direct contact with priests/prayer, as there's only so much use one can get out of reading fragmented bits of ECF passages copy-pasted by both sides of the RC/EO argument! That said, I found many of you on this board to be VERY helpful. My search is still frustrating, enlightening, and ongoing.

It occurred to me that I am not aware of any direct evangelism efforts on the part of Eastern Orthodoxy, at least not in the West, which, is, after all, what I am familiar with. I cannot speak for the East, and as such, I may be misinformed on the subject, but a major concern of mine is that at times, it seems like preserving national identity/cultural tradition (something I understand and support) is a much bigger priority in Orthodox parishes than evangelism, and at times it seems to become a direct hindrance to evangelism.

Some of you may recall even, that one "accomplished" RO priest in Petersburg advised me to remain RC, as it was easier than converting, culturally more suited to life in America, and "basically the same thing" as Orthodoxy.

While he was clearly not a good rep for the church at large, the whole issue of convert-seeking concerns me: aren't we as Christians commanded to evangelize?

My thoughts are muddled, I know, but any comments are warmly welcomed.

Во Христе

Jim

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »

When living in Austria and attending Mass with a RC friend, I asked the Priest after the Mass how you covert to RC. He said that he had never been asked and didn't know for certain.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:30:21 PM »

Some of you may remember some of my inquiries this summer, when I was living in Russia and began to inquire into Orthodoxy (I'm a Roman Catholic, and my wife is Russian Orthodox). I have taken a long hiatus from any active internet searching, in favor of direct contact with priests/prayer, as there's only so much use one can get out of reading fragmented bits of ECF passages copy-pasted by both sides of the RC/EO argument! That said, I found many of you on this board to be VERY helpful. My search is still frustrating, enlightening, and ongoing.

It occurred to me that I am not aware of any direct evangelism efforts on the part of Eastern Orthodoxy, at least not in the West, which, is, after all, what I am familiar with. I cannot speak for the East, and as such, I may be misinformed on the subject, but a major concern of mine is that at times, it seems like preserving national identity/cultural tradition (something I understand and support) is a much bigger priority in Orthodox parishes than evangelism, and at times it seems to become a direct hindrance to evangelism.

Some of you may recall even, that one "accomplished" RO priest in Petersburg advised me to remain RC, as it was easier than converting, culturally more suited to life in America, and "basically the same thing" as Orthodoxy.

While he was clearly not a good rep for the church at large, the whole issue of convert-seeking concerns me: aren't we as Christians commanded to evangelize?

Во Христе

Jim
You mean recently I take it, as Orthodoxy came to North America until 1867 by evangelization. That continued: more of the Amerindians in Alaska converted after the Czar left than did when he was ruler there. Thereafter there was a problem with PECUSA: their diocese of CA originally thought of getting orders from St. Innocent in AK instead of the PECUSA in NY, and that didn't sit well with many Episcopalians. Shortly thereafter came the conversion of those whose forebares had submitted to the Vatican "back to Orthodoxy." And then the deluge of immigrants which strained the resources of the minority Church.

There are a lot of missions in Africa, India, China, Japan (which has its own autonomous Church), etc, and the past year the Church has been planted in Fiji
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=search2
In America the various jurisdictions coodernate evangelization through the mission center in St. Augustine.

As for the West, the issues of conversion versus Church reunion etc. get in the way for much evangelization.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 03:14:28 PM »

Во Христе

Jim

Here you go Jim. I have to post this info at least once a month in response to a Catholic saying that the Orthodox Chruch is not a missionary Church. I do understand that most of you are not as exposed or involved in Orthodox missions so it's really just a matter of making you aware.

Historically there were fewer Orthodox missionaries because of a number of circumstances. The great world powers when the Age of Exploration began were all Western European, Catholic nations. Most of the Orthodox world was under Muslim domination or, in the case of Russia, grossly underdeveloped compared to their Western counterparts.

Despite that, the Russian Church has always been active in missionary activity. They evangelized the Tartars, the Mongols and sent missionaries to China, to Alaska, to Japan. Currently the Orthodox Christian Mission Center has active missionaries in Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Albania, Kosovo, Moldova, Romania, India, Indonesia, South Korea and Guatemala.

Also recently some 5,000 Mexican Indians were received into the OCA and, even more impressively, some 500,000 Guatemalans were received under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »

I belong to an Orthodox Mission Church here in Maryland. All English services and I don't think we could be much more culturally American.

The other Church I belonged to was one of the larger OCA Churches. I would say 70% or more of the folks were converts, many former RCC. Of the cradle Orthodox, very very few were not born in the USA. A few.

We just received a Japanese Catechuman. She is being tutored by other Japanese Orthodox who live in the area.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:16:42 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:58:27 PM »

Interesting stuff.

If anyone has anymore thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them, as well, and please, everyone, pray for me. I'm in a very difficult place: I have one foot in each church; as long as I remain Catholic, and not one in the process of entering the OC, I wonder if I am doing so out of fear (fear of something new, of alienation from close RC friends, even priests), rather than truth, but as long as I dabble in Orthodoxy, I wonder if I am being led astray or distracted from the true faith. I mean that as no offense to anyone; it's just hard to discern all of this.

God Bless,
Jim

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 11:56:09 AM »

Interesting stuff.

If anyone has anymore thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them, as well, and please, everyone, pray for me. I'm in a very difficult place: I have one foot in each church; as long as I remain Catholic, and not one in the process of entering the OC, I wonder if I am doing so out of fear (fear of something new, of alienation from close RC friends, even priests), rather than truth, but as long as I dabble in Orthodoxy, I wonder if I am being led astray or distracted from the true faith. I mean that as no offense to anyone; it's just hard to discern all of this.

God Bless,
Jim

I'm just thinking out loud here, so take it for what it's worth, have you thought about committing yourself to a thorough experience of the OC? That is, attending services, inquirer classes, regular conversations with a priest, studying Orthodox books and materials?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 12:03:36 PM »

I belong to an Orthodox Mission Church here in Maryland. All English services and I don't think we could be much more culturally American.

The other Church I belonged to was one of the larger OCA Churches. I would say 70% or more of the folks were converts, many former RCC. Of the cradle Orthodox, very very few were not born in the USA. A few.

We just received a Japanese Catechuman. She is being tutored by other Japanese Orthodox who live in the area.

So you grew your beard out of solidarity with Conan rather than out of Orthodox romanticism?

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 02:11:48 PM »

Katherine,
That process has just begun.
Jim

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »

So you grew your beard out of solidarity with Conan rather than out of Orthodox romanticism?

Since when is it "un-American" to have a beard? For young people, I think they're just making a comeback is all. They where quite common, as were all kinds of facial hair, in the Americas even into the early 20th century. Cultural trends shift and change.

Oh, and to Jim, there's really not a lot of Orthodox evangelism. Most of what everyone else is throwing at you are people that are coming to it themselves, or mentioning old imperial colonies (like Alaska), or churches set up by immigrants. That's not evangelism, at least in the way you mean. There's good historical reasons for it, but the time has now come where those excuses are running out.

But to be totally honest, I really do see a shift in attitude about Orthodox evangelism all around me in my city. It certainly isn't being put into much action, but the core attitude is shifting from "that's something for the Protestants" to a conviction that it is something that must be done. May God help us.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:29:37 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »

Yes

okay...No..

Ive had a beard since I was 18.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:20:09 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 07:40:48 AM »

Marc without a beard!?  Shocked Is outrage!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 11:40:14 PM »

Since when is it "un-American" to have a beard? For young people, I think they're just making a comeback is all. They where quite common, as were all kinds of facial hair, in the Americas even into the early 20th century. Cultural trends shift and change.

Did you give up your sense of humor in solidarity with Conan or out of Orthodox romanticism?

angel
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:40:31 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 12:58:34 AM »

Did you give up your sense of humor in solidarity with Conan or out of Orthodox romanticism?

There are only tears in holy Russia.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 01:16:04 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 01:24:26 AM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Brilliant.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:25:09 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 09:59:52 AM »

MODERATOR'S REQUEST

Let's go back to topic  "I am not aware of any direct evangelism efforts on the part of Eastern Orthodoxy, at least not in the West, which, is, after all, what I am familiar with. I cannot speak for the East, and as such, I may be misinformed on the subject, but a major concern of mine is that at times, it seems like preserving national identity/cultural tradition (something I understand and support) is a much bigger priority in Orthodox parishes than evangelism, and at times it seems to become a direct hindrance to evangelism."

Please no more comments on "Conan's Beard" or "tears only in Russia"

THOMAS
CONVERT ISSUES FORUM MODERATOR

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
myrrhbear

Trust in God

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »

We had an Orthodox Missionary come and give a presentation at our mission church in Northern Virginia about all he and his organization is doing to evangelize. He sees a tremendous need for this and is having excellent results! There needs to be more!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »

We had an Orthodox Missionary come and give a presentation at our mission church in Northern Virginia about all he and his organization is doing to evangelize. He sees a tremendous need for this and is having excellent results! There needs to be more!

He didn't happen to have a powerpoint to share, did he?

I'm going to need this.
myrrhbear

Trust in God

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 07:38:12 PM »

There was a slide show that may have been power point. Am I allowed to say who it was? In any case, know that there are those out there working effectively and many of us who evangelize one-on-one, working hard to "get the word out" to the many unfamiliar with Orthodoxy!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 12:42:18 AM »

Here are some interesting podcasts on the topic:

http://ancientfaith.com/collections/evangelism_and_orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: