Author Topic: Priestmonk Matthias [Moriak] to fill vacant Midwest See [OCA]  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
    • Web site of our parish, St. Andrew UOCof USA
Priestmonk Matthias [Moriak] to fill vacant Midwest See [OCA]
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »
Holy Synod of Bishops gathers for Fall Session, elects Priestmonk Matthias [Moriak] to fill vacant Midwest See
Posted 11/16

SYOSSET, NY [OCA] -- During the opening session of the fall meeting of the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church in America, which opened at the Chancery here on Tuesday morning, November 16, 2010, Priestmonk Matthias [Moriak] was canonically elected to the vacant See of Chicago and the Midwest.

to read the rest:  http://www.oca.org/news/2324
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

Offline Lichnidos

• Elder
  • Powerslavlje strong in this one is.
Re: Priestmonk Matthias [Moriak] to fill vacant Midwest See [OCA]
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:36:15 PM »
Axios!
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:25:14 PM »
I think it bears mentioning that "Following a lengthy search process, Father Matthias was nominated from a slate of three candidates by delegates at a special Assembly of the Midwest Diocese convened at Saint Mary Cathedral, Minneapolis, MN on Wednesday, October 6, 2010. His name was then submitted to the Holy Synod for canonical election." That is, Father Matthias was the one and only candidate that was presented to the Holy Synod for canonical election. The same thing happened with Bishop Melchizedek of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania. Axios to both Bishop-elect Matthias and the OCA conciliar process that allows diocesan assemblies to nominate one, two or three candidates to the Holy Synod.

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 01:30:29 PM »
I think it bears mentioning that "Following a lengthy search process, Father Matthias was nominated from a slate of three candidates by delegates at a special Assembly of the Midwest Diocese convened at Saint Mary Cathedral, Minneapolis, MN on Wednesday, October 6, 2010. His name was then submitted to the Holy Synod for canonical election." That is, Father Matthias was the one and only candidate that was presented to the Holy Synod for canonical election. The same thing happened with Bishop Melchizedek of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania. Axios to both Bishop-elect Matthias and the OCA conciliar process that allows diocesan assemblies to nominate one, two or three candidates to the Holy Synod.

AXIOS!

May this same process work for the Diocese of Alaska.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 01:37:09 PM »

Axios!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 01:44:25 PM »
Bishop-elect Matthias' bio is now posted on the OCA site:  http://www.oca.org/news/2325
Rather impressive, I might add.

Offline Lichnidos

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »
Not that it really matters, but it's sort of exciting for Orthodoxy in America to witness an American-cradle be elected Bishop
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable." - G.K. Chesterton

Online Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
I thought the name was familiar; I know his son from camp.  Many years!
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 03:49:12 PM »
Not that it really matters, but it's sort of exciting for Orthodoxy in America to witness an American-cradle be elected Bishop
You are aware that he is not the first?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Lichnidos

• Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 04:08:45 PM »
You are aware that he is not the first?

I was semi-aware. It just stood out for some reason. I think, however, it is a bigger testiment to Orthodoxy in America when we see converts leading the Mission. :)

Offline Deacon Lance

• Archon
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 07:34:53 PM »
Is it just me or is ACROD providing all the OCA's new bishops?
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline AMM

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 08:17:08 PM »
Is it just me or is ACROD providing all the OCA's new bishops?

I count two.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Archon
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »
I was thinking Bishop Melchisedek was ACROD too but I see I was mistaken.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Melodist

• Archon
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 10:16:40 PM »
Axios!
And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God

Offline mattymoo

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 01:22:45 PM »
I currently attend an OCA Church in NJ and I think the filling of these vacant sees is a great thing. The more voices in the Synod the greater the odds for balance. And since NJ and NY haven't had a Bishop in YEARS it is very refreshing to now Have Bishop Michael to pastor us :)

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 01:31:13 PM »
I currently attend an OCA Church in NJ and I think the filling of these vacant sees is a great thing. The more voices in the Synod the greater the odds for balance. And since NJ and NY haven't had a Bishop in YEARS it is very refreshing to now Have Bishop Michael to pastor us :)

I attend an OCA parish in Naples, FL and it seems that the Diocese of the South is in need of a new hierarch, too. Now that we have the EA, will different jurisdictions be willing "to supply" (for lack of a better term) capable and holy men to be bishops for another jurisdiction? If so, I think that would be great.  :)

In Christ,
Andrew
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
He seems so wonderful.  Though I'm not  in the OCA, I live in the OCA's Midwest Diocese, a wonderful diocese.  The ACROD mission that Fr. Matthias attended, used my GOAA parish in the early '70's while their new edifice was being constructed and is located a very short distance from my parish.  Their founding priest would substitute for my GOAA priest when he would vacation, and upon his retirement, he was the liturgical assistant at my parish.  Knowing Fr. Stephen Jula as I do, I am so pleased to see Fr. Matthias remembering to honor Fr. Stephen, for his youthful inspiration.  Fr. Stephen is retired, Pastor Emeritus of Christ the Savior American Orthodox Church, and attends a GOAA parish near his current residence in a western suburb of Greater Cleveland; he must be so pleased to see a spiritual child becoming a bishop.
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 04:46:52 PM »
Archimandrite Matthew will be consecrated this Saturday.

http://www.oca.org/news/2518
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:47:13 PM by Michał Kalina »

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 12:14:09 AM »
AXIOS! AXIOS! AXIOS!

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 09:50:35 AM »
AXIOIS! Our loss (ACROD's) is your gain. I am honored to count him as a friend. He is a wonderful man and although now a monk, he is by no means 'otherworldly'or detached from reality. He has led a full and well rounded life and understands pain, loss, suffering and most importantly - love and family - on a personal as well as a pastoral basis. He will add a voice of balance and reason to your Holy Synod. It seems to me that far too many bishops are lacking when it comes to a reality check and Bishop Mathias will come to you a complete person. If we Orthodox can not have a married Bishop, he is surely the next best thing. AXIOS! Christ is Risen!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:50:58 AM by podkarpatska »