OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 08:34:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was the "Evangelical Orthodox Church"  (Read 1540 times) Average Rating: 0
authio
Elder

« on: November 15, 2010, 02:19:40 AM »

Today I had the opportunity to thumb through an old copy of AGAIN Magazine.  It was from the 80s, and I noticed the inside cover said it was published by the "Evangelical Orthodox Church."

What was it?

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:27:48 AM »

A group of Evangelicals who decided to reconstruct the 1st century Church.  When they were forming, they discovered the 1st century Church still existed. They came in as a group, 5,000+, and were a seperate mission of the Antiochian Archdiocese until they disbanded themselves around '90 and became integrated in the regular ecclesiastical organization. Fr. Peter Quilquist is the best known.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Py5yRQAACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:ISBN1936270005
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:29:03 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
lizzyd

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:31:19 PM »

"Becoming Orthodox" by Fr. Peter Quilquist was the first book I read on Orthodoxy. It is a simple, quick read - a good intro to Orthodoxy for those coming from Protestantism. He mentions in the book that several people in their group made a decision NOT to be received into the Church, and instead they continued on with the EOC. I think this must be the result: http://www.evangelicalorthodox.org/churches.html Only a few churches, mostly in the Midwest.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 02:03:51 PM »

"Becoming Orthodox" by Fr. Peter Quilquist was the first book I read on Orthodoxy. It is a simple, quick read - a good intro to Orthodoxy for those coming from Protestantism. He mentions in the book that several people in their group made a decision NOT to be received into the Church, and instead they continued on with the EOC. I think this must be the result: http://www.evangelicalorthodox.org/churches.html Only a few churches, mostly in the Midwest.
A number since then have joined piece meal.  I recall one parish in Indiana went split, one section joining up with the OCA I think, and the others continuing on their seperate existence for a while at least.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jon Hook

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 04:54:13 PM »

I recall one parish in Indiana went split, one section joining up with the OCA I think
haha small world man! The parish you mention is in my town and was the first Orthodox Church I went to and one of the priests that served there is my spiritual father! haha God Bless and yes do read that book, it's a good read for those curious about the Church.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 11:07:24 PM »

I'm curious why some EOC parishes continue to exist. What's their stated raison d'etre? It seems odd to me to try to closely mimic the beliefs and practices of a group and then refuse to join that group when it welcomes you.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 11:35:37 PM »

I'm curious why some EOC parishes continue to exist. What's their stated raison d'etre? It seems odd to me to try to closely mimic the beliefs and practices of a group and then refuse to join that group when it welcomes you.

Well, that's the thing.  From what I remember in the book, those who didn't join refused to do so because they weren't warmly welcomed.  There's a story of their leaders flying halfway around the world to meet with a Patriarch only to receive a cold shoulder and basically sent home.  Peter Gilquist said that many of them just didn't recover from that initial rejection.

Probably other reasons than that, but what I took away from the book was that that was the main issue with those who continued on as the EOC.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 11:53:55 PM »

First: http://www.ogreatmystery.com/eoc/now/ for a listing of the churches that joined the OCA over this past year.

Going to the weblink lizzyd gave us, it would appear the Evangelical Orthodox church has only have 5 parishes left in North America (not counting the female monastery), 3 of which are listed as being led by bishops.  Draw your own conclusions from there.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »

the EOC is...interesting.

Yet, I owe my Orthodoxy to them! My home parish is an OCA parish that began as EOC. Our first priest (EOC) led us into the OCA, and he himself was received some years ago by Vladyka Dimitri and ordained a priest. He remained our parish priest for some time, and is now working at OCMC (I believe he sits on the Board of Directors, IIRC).

Without that parish, beginning as an EOC parish and later being accepted into the OCA, I probably would have never found Orthodoxy!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags: conversion  Heterodox Again Magazine 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: