OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:14:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spiritually Readiness / Heart state...  (Read 440 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: November 14, 2010, 01:21:07 AM »

As I have posted about a few weeks ago, I had an awkward experience attending not only my first Orthodox church, but an Antiochian one.

But I have a dilmena, I am planning on going to a Greek Orthodox church tomorrow, however I don't know in my heart if I am ready yet. How do I know? I just don't feel worthy in front of the Church and have comitted alot of sins.

Also I'm having an issue spiritually feeling Christ in my heart, I don't know how to get that 'feeling' of God there, any suggestions? i just don't feel his presence in me. I know in my head this is the right thing to do, but my heart isn't feeling the presence of the Lord, is this normal?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 01:37:45 AM »

St. Thomas experienced the same thing, and the Lord was pleased to walk into the midst of the Apostles, and to show His Wounds to Thomas. Be of good courage, the church has been called a 'hospital for sinners'; the simple fact of going to the liturgy and sitting and listening can help you.  angel The first few times you go to the service may seem quite different from what you've been used to, but relax and give it a chance, and don't be afraid to ask questions of people in the parish; I am shy by nature, but I found out the people there were nice and helped me a lot. I hope you enjoy your visits.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:50:40 AM »

I worry about being 'accepted' in the church, how will others see a newcomer such as myself?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:32:55 AM »

Just like they see any other new comer.  We are all sinners and have fallen very short of the glory of God.  We're all capable of the most hideous of crimes.  Every single one of us.  It's HIS grace that keeps us from doing the most horrific things.  It's nothing that we in ourselves have done if we've done anything good.

It takes a while to build relationships.  If you are worried about being accepted into the church body AS an Orthodox Christian Communicant, your Priest will know better than you when you are ready.  If you are talking about being ready to go to an Orthodox Church consistently to begin to work on BECOMING READY - then it's just having the understanding that you wish to inquire about something you have not experienced before.  At any time during the inquiry process, you can say, "this isn't for me" and stop walking toward the church. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:53:39 AM »

I think every parish may be different, as every person is, but in my church, because I didn't know better, on my first couple of visits I arrived a little late to the service- so people weren't really talking. After that, I made a point of getting there before the start, so I had time to look around a little, and say hello to people. Surprise- they said hello, and some of them asked what church I used to go to, and so on. Things got better, and I think if you give it time, that will happen for you as well. Try going to the coffee hour, if there's one after the services at your local church. If it's a large parish, you may meet other converts. Even if not, don't give up. My experience has overall been very positive.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: