OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:05:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Differences Within Western Rite  (Read 609 times) Average Rating: 0
Ignatius II

Faith: Catholic

« on: October 12, 2010, 08:08:25 PM »

In an effort to better familiarize myself with the Western Rite, I had a couple questions if someone would be able to answer them. It appears there are very few Western Rite churches in the United States. From searching the Web it appears that a large number of members of the Western Rite are converted Anglicanism, who apparently use the Liturgy of St. Tikhon. There appears to be a far fewer number of churches the use the Liturgy of St. Gregory, which I assume would largely be Catholic Converts. Many Web sites of Western Rite Churches do not identify which Liturgy they use.

My questions are would someone attending Western Rite Church using the Liturgy of St. Gregory, find it similar to to Catholic Latin mass?

Are there many converts from Catholicism to the Western Rite Orthodox?

What are some of the locations (particularly in Midwest) of some of the Churches that use the Liturgy of St. Gregory? I would assume most are small in number?

Thanks in advance.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:43:30 PM »

Here is a compendium of the various Rites used in the Western Rite parishes of the Orthodox Church.

The Liturgy of Saint Gregory is there in .pdf format.

http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Liturgy/Liturgics.html
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:45:56 PM »

Find a Western Rite Parish...

http://www.antiochian.org/westernritedirectory
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »

Here is a link to St Gregory the Great Orthodox Church in D.C. I know it's nowhere near the midwest, but they have a link to their liturgy.

http://www.stgregoryoc.org/

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:34:56 PM »

My questions are would someone attending Western Rite Church using the Liturgy of St. Gregory, find it similar to to Catholic Latin mass?

Yes.
What is your Liturgy like?
The simplest answer would be that, apart from being mostly in traditional English rather than Latin, it is almost exactly what one might have found in any liturgically proper Roman Catholic or Anglo-Catholic church or monastery in the years before the second Vatican council.
Source: http://christminster.org/faq

Are there many converts from Catholicism to the Western Rite Orthodox?

As far as individuals are concerned, there are quite a few, for sure. The already quoted website states that: "inevitably, because we exist in a homely and familiar western liturgical form, disenfranchised Roman Catholics . . . who seek an Orthodox home where they will be welcomed and will truly feel at home, have often found a haven in Western Orthodoxy". As far as communities are concerned, there is at least one ex-RC WRO parish in the Philippines (and a few more former Old Catholic ones).

What are some of the locations (particularly in Midwest) of some of the Churches that use the Liturgy of St. Gregory?

Christminster, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Well, it's not the Midwest but boarders with it.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: