OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 04:16:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-Schism Western Religious Life  (Read 543 times) Average Rating: 0
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: November 13, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »

I've been reading the "Age of Bede" recently and have become increasingly interested in the religious life of "Western" Christians prior to the schism.  Can anyone recommend books to me about the history of Western Christendom (when it was Orthodox)?  A book(s) that give(s) a vivid picture of what life was like for them.  I'm particularly interested in Western monasticism and what it was like.  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:33:52 AM »

I've been reading the "Age of Bede" recently and have become increasingly interested in the religious life of "Western" Christians prior to the schism.  Can anyone recommend books to me about the history of Western Christendom (when it was Orthodox)?  A book(s) that give(s) a vivid picture of what life was like for them.  I'm particularly interested in Western monasticism and what it was like.  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I'd recommend Vita Patrum: Life of the Fathers of St. Gregory of Tours which was translated by Fr. Seraphim of Platina. Besides the actual lives of the Western saints there's pretty large introduction to western Orthodoxy written by Fr. Seraphim. In that introduction there's also some info about Western monasticism.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 11:04:33 AM »

Of course, you can read the Rule of St. Benedict, which exists in a very readable translation.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 03:02:44 PM »

Thank you, both!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: