OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 06:53:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer in absence of Confession  (Read 520 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:21:23 PM »

I am presently hoping (God willing) to be chrismated next year; however, since I haven't yet obtained to that state, I am not able to go to sacramental Confession. I pray at home, but I usually say the morning and evening prayers, as well as some others. Are there other prayers I should add, until such time as I am able to fully partake in the sacrament?

Thank you for any help.

angel

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »

I am presently hoping (God willing) to be chrismated next year; however, since I haven't yet obtained to that state, I am not able to go to sacramental Confession. I pray at home, but I usually say the morning and evening prayers, as well as some others. Are there other prayers I should add, until such time as I am able to fully partake in the sacrament?

Thank you for any help.

angel
Psalm 50 (51) "Have mercy on me, O God! According to Your steadfast love"
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:31:49 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:50:30 PM »

Thank you.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 12:10:07 AM »

There are a number of prayers that can be used to confess your sins to God. Here is one, I forget where I found it, and you can insert any of the particulars that you wish to seek help overcoming.

O Lord our God, good and merciful, I acknowledge all my sins which I have committed every day of my life, in thought, word and deed; in body and soul alike. I am heartily sorry that I have ever offended thee, and I sincerely repent; with tears I humbly pray thee, O Lord: of thy mercy forgive me all my past transgressions and absolve me from them. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy Grace, to amend my way of life and to sin no more; that I may walk in the way of the righteous and offer praise and glory to the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 09:23:33 AM »

There are a number of prayers that can be used to confess your sins to God. Here is one, I forget where I found it, and you can insert any of the particulars that you wish to seek help overcoming.

O Lord our God, good and merciful, I acknowledge all my sins which I have committed every day of my life, in thought, word and deed; in body and soul alike. I am heartily sorry that I have ever offended thee, and I sincerely repent; with tears I humbly pray thee, O Lord: of thy mercy forgive me all my past transgressions and absolve me from them. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy Grace, to amend my way of life and to sin no more; that I may walk in the way of the righteous and offer praise and glory to the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

Just as an fyi, in the little red prayer book it says to read this prayer and then psalm 50 (51) after preparing for confession.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Tags: confession  repentance  prayer  sacraments 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: