OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 10:35:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First meeting with an orthodox priest  (Read 832 times) Average Rating: 0
Onuphrius23

Faith: Orthodox

« on: November 12, 2010, 05:55:11 PM »

Hello to all of you ,
I have a first face to face with an orthodox priest yesterday.  We met at the parish hall and let me tell you that it was a very good talk, that lasted over an hour.  I felt so much welcome!!!  He took the time to listen to my question and offered very meaningful answers.  In other words, I felt pretty much at home!  There was a very high respect from him wrt my personal situation ( I'm not a catechumen, and still undecided about the way ahead).  Talking with him, I was shocked( in a very positive way) of how much I was closely and intimately orthodox without being an official member of the Orthodox Church.  My personal faith is pretty much inclined towards Orthodoxy.  I have all the theological education behind my belt( so to speak).  I'm going to attend regularly the Orthodox parish , we have agreed on a slow pace, so my wife and I can actually get to meet people from the community. 
I'm so at peace after having met this priest!  I wish all of you to experience a similar inner peace in your journey!

Onuphrius
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »

that's wonderful.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 06:14:35 PM »

Great to hear!

...and welcome to the forum...where I am sure you will get the same warm welcome!   Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 07:29:08 PM »

Welcome!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:23:04 PM »

Glory to God!   angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 09:32:41 PM »

That's wonderful, Onuphrius!  Smiley

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 12:44:31 AM »

Welcome!

Mathe 24:36
blessedbeggar
poor wretch

Faith: Christian

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 02:26:58 PM »

Welcome! It's wonderful to hear that someone is in the same boat as I and my wife. However, we have yet to be able to have a face-to-face with the priest at the parish of our choosing just yet. I began the inquiry by email, and the Father has responded so very warmly. Over the last month or so, we have passed emails one to another and spoke several times by phone. The parish is the only OCA in the state of Kentucky, and as such is some 3 hours away from our home. We live in the Southeast, and all Orthodox parishes are near the center of the state. Anyway, we refuse to let distance keep us from the true Faith that God has led us to, and though slow and laborious it may prove to be, we intend to follow this path. I pray God blesses you on your way, and that your family may also find the fullness that you and your wife have discovered.

In Christ,
Blessed Beggar

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Onuphrius23

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 03:44:54 PM »

Thank you all for your warm welcome and prayers!!  This is much appreciated!!

In Christ!
Onuphrius
Paisius
Warned
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Reframed

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 06:03:21 PM »

Welcome! It's wonderful to hear that someone is in the same boat as I and my wife. However, we have yet to be able to have a face-to-face with the priest at the parish of our choosing just yet. I began the inquiry by email, and the Father has responded so very warmly. Over the last month or so, we have passed emails one to another and spoke several times by phone. The parish is the only OCA in the state of Kentucky, and as such is some 3 hours away from our home. We live in the Southeast, and all Orthodox parishes are near the center of the state. Anyway, we refuse to let distance keep us from the true Faith that God has led us to, and though slow and laborious it may prove to be, we intend to follow this path. I pray God blesses you on your way, and that your family may also find the fullness that you and your wife have discovered.

In Christ,
Blessed Beggar

That wouldn't be St Athanasius would it?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:04:52 PM by Paisius » Logged

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 07:12:40 PM »

One more proof St. John statement : “Each human – Christian” .  and God love us all and try to guide in right direction.

It is harder to do along or among people who misleading and many fail….. but in good Orthodox community where ancient Christian value presented correctly – it is real Grace.

No doubt it would not eliminate sorrow and struggle, but surrounded by Goodness and Grace and good friends your way of salvation would be blissful . 

blessedbeggar
poor wretch

Faith: Christian

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 07:39:45 PM »

In Christ,
Blessed Beggar

That wouldn't be St Athanasius would it?

Yes! It is in fact St. Athanasius in Nicholasville. Father Justin has been a wonderful contact for us into Orthodoxy, and I look forward to finally meeting him and the whole parish. Are you perhaps a member there? I'd love to get your opinion on the community there, and how well distance is handled by others in the parish...God bless you.

In Christ,
Blessed Beggar

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Paisius
Warned
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Reframed

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »

Yes! It is in fact St. Athanasius in Nicholasville. Father Justin has been a wonderful contact for us into Orthodoxy, and I look forward to finally meeting him and the whole parish. Are you perhaps a member there? I'd love to get your opinion on the community there, and how well distance is handled by others in the parish...God bless you.

In Christ,
Blessed Beggar

No I'm not a member there but Fr Justin was received into the Church in our parish (that was well before my time). In addition a couple from our parish moved to Kentucky and they are now members there. If you would like someone to stand with when you go I can put you in touch with them.

Our priest is good friends with Fr Justin and I've only heard great things about the parish. They are very welcoming to non-Orthodox and inquirers. I think you will enjoy it when you finally get to visit.

If you want the contact info for the couple pm me.  Smiley

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: