OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 06:03:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where to get Coptic (and Ethiopian) icons?  (Read 4335 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: November 12, 2010, 09:15:26 AM »

I've been given a blessing by my priest to use Coptic (and Ethiopian)-style icons in my prayer life.  only one problem....I don't know where to buy when from!!!

so, where do Copts and Ethiopian Orthodox get your icons from? 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
mattymoo

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Whatever Orthodox parish I happen to be in at any given moment

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:46:27 AM »

If you have any Coptic or Ethiopian parishes in your area try going to their annual festival. They usually have a few for sale. One of my favorite icons is a hand painted Ethiopian triptych I bought at an African art shop in Spain, but I don't think that would be practical in your situation Wink
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:10:19 AM »

Coptic icons are easier to get than Ethiopian.  There are a couple of websites that sell them:

http://www.stantonymonastery.org/bookstore/store/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=10&Itemid=80

http://www.theotokos.org/church-icons/

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »

I've been given a blessing by my priest to use Coptic (and Ethiopian)-style icons in my prayer life.  only one problem....I don't know where to buy when from!!!

so, where do Copts and Ethiopian Orthodox get your icons from?  

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Even before my conversion, the sincerity and spirituality of Tewahedo Icons inspired and edified me.  If you are that hard up, do a Google search for some online vendors, though often they can be expensive. The real issue is that generally, I have rarely seen Ethiopian icons for sale in the same kinds of forms we see in other Orthodox traditions.  The Tewahedo Icon generally comes in a panel form, like this:

and these can be rather expensive considering some are contemporary, others are antiques, and many dealers sell the contemporaries as if they WERE antique and honestly charge rip off prices.
Actually here in LA I get the BEST deals on purchased icons and crosses from a Rastafari brother I know who sells them.  The stores, even the Ethiopian shops here, are a bit high dollar for I-man's poverty. Maybe in the local Rastafarian shops you might find a good deal?   From my experience, if you insist on a 'legit' Tewahedo icon painted in Ethiopia by an Ethiopian icon painter, then pursue your local Ethiopian parish and ask around within the community where to find such things.

By the way I have never really seen any Tewahedo Icon prints or posters or boards like in other traditions, rarely even framed. Most ALL the Tewahedo icons I have ever seen for sale were of the above type, as that is generally the custom in Ethiopia in regards to private, home use of Icongraphy.

Personally, what I do is I print all the delightful Tewahedo Icons and Images I run across on the internet onto photo paper and either frame or shellac them for use as gifts or for my own prayer.  I have a dozen such kinds printed and framed around my house.

Private message me your email and I will gladly send you my collection.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:45:41 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »

Some Coptic Icons for sale:
http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/copticicons.aspx
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 08:14:19 PM »

thanks so much, everyone!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »

tell me, are the icons in this site mounted on wood already, or just prints?

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 09:11:27 PM »

I would assume they are mounted because of the price. $11.99 for a 6x3 icon and that leads me to believe it is mounted because I've never seen anyone charge that much for a print. I haven't bought an icon from them though.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:41:31 PM »

The prints are mounted on wood. I have three icons from them, including my wall cross. They are very nice.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 01:29:22 AM »

I love this style of Coptic iconography. I just noticed that the icons of Christ on this site have him holding up one finger, instead of two fingers as you normally see in EO icons. Compare:

http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/christenthroned.aspx

http://www.bethel-ucity.org/images/1025-5264a.jpg

Obviously everything in an icon is symbolic, and hand positions are highly symbolic. Is this a statement of monophysitism? If so, is it appropriate for EO's to use these kinds of icons in a prayer setting?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:33:00 AM by bogdan » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 01:39:45 AM »

I love this style of Coptic iconography. I just noticed that the icons of Christ on this site have him holding up one finger, instead of two fingers as you normally see in EO icons. Compare:

Obviously everything in an icon is symbolic, and hand positions are highly symbolic. Is this a statement of monophysitism?

The Copts are not monophysite, so that would not be it.   Smiley  Perhaps one of our Coptic posters can explain the icon.

If so, is it appropriate for EO's to use these kinds of icons in a prayer setting?

Trevor's priest has given him a blessing to use a Coptic icon.  It's not really for us to second guess his priest.

Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »

Obviously everything in an icon is symbolic, and hand positions are highly symbolic. Is this a statement of monophysitism? If so, is it appropriate for EO's to use these kinds of icons in a prayer setting?

Not anymore than saying that a Byzantine icon of Christ showing two fingers is a confession of the two persons of Christ or a division of Christ into two.  The one finger is consistent with everything  we say about the Oneness of Christ, nothing more or less. Thus, for us it simply the confession of faith of Ephesus...Christ is One.

God bless,
Fr. Kyrillos
Tags: OO icons Coptic Orthodox Church Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: