OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:32:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neither Male Nor Female  (Read 1693 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« on: November 06, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »

St. Paul said that:

"...there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." (Gal. 3:28)

And St. Maximos the Confessor said that:

"...according to [the] divine purpose, man was not intended to be divided into the categories of male and female, as is now the case; and that by acquiring perfect knowledge of the inner principles according to which he exists he may transcend this division" (taken from an excerpt in Deification in Christ by Panayiotis Nellas, p. 212)

Why then are gender divisions so important in the Church? For example, while there are theological and historical reasons behind not having female priests, what are we to make of passages such as the above from Sts. Paul and Maximos? Is not the liturgy to be a foretaste of heaven? and if so, shouldn't division be of no importance?

EDIT--Just a note, I am not arguing for a female priesthood here, I'm just struggling to understand.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:21:22 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 02:00:37 PM »

"...according to [the] divine purpose, man was not intended to be divided into the categories of male and female, as is now the case; and that by acquiring perfect knowledge of the inner principles according to which he exists he may transcend this division" (taken from an excerpt in Deification in Christ by Panayiotis Nellas, p. 212)

Why then are gender divisions so important in the Church?

The Church is a hospital for our souls, thus, we must look at both the intentions AND the result of disobeying said intentions, IMO.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »

St. Paul said that:

"...there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." (Gal. 3:28)

Why then are gender divisions so important in the Church? For example, while there are theological and historical reasons behind not having female priests, what are we to make of passages such as the above from Sts. Paul and Maximos? Is not the liturgy to be a foretaste of heaven? and if so, shouldn't division be of no importance?

EDIT--Just a note, I am not arguing for a female priesthood here, I'm just struggling to understand.
Actually, I would say the division is of importance. St. Paul's statement does not deny the reality of male and female gender/qualities, but instead it points to their complementarity and the fact that there is no male alone, and no female alone, in Christ; that male exists only because of the female, and vice versa. In Buddhist terms, "maleness" and "femaleness" are not "inherently existing" as separate, non-interactive entities. But they do exist, in dynamic relationship to each other. The Eucharist, then, is a foretaste of heaven, because in the Eucharist the comm/union of male and female, their interdependence, is ritually enacted. The male priest needs the female non-priest; and vice versa. There is no priest without the non-priest. The priest symoblizes the Creator; the non-priest, the created, in the process of theosis.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 02:54:26 PM »

I think it's a very interesting, and difficult, question. I don't think there are simple answers. I'm looking around for what others have said about it.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 03:24:43 PM »

Some preliminary thoughts of my own-

St. Maximus, when he talks about overcoming the sexual division, I think means that we transcend the division, as opposed to erasing it. And the key to the transcendence is Christ's incarnation. Now we now that the world to come will not be the same as paradise before the Fall, and this is in part due to the difference made by the Incarnation.

Christ assumed the entirety of human nature, and deified it, yet he was still a male. Likewise the Mother of God achieved the heights of perfection but did not cease to be a woman. So I think the way we are to overcome the sexual division will not be a simple reversal of the split, just like the Incarnation, the Second Coming, and Resurrection are not simply a reversal of the Fall.

Also, "neither male nor female," I think, points to unity and equality, not necessarily sameness. We are united in Christ, especially in communion, but this does not erase distinctions.

I think it's wrong to think of the priesthood as a privilege for males, or as something which suggests that women are inferior. The fact that we have many woman saints called "Equal-to-the-Apostles" says something. Likewise, I often think of the meeting of St. Zosima with St. Mary of Egypt with regards to this question. She insists that St. Zosima should give her the blessing first, because he is a priest; but St. Zosima says that she should give the blessing first, because she is holier than he is. They go back and forth for a while, and finally St. Mary gives the blessing first.

But these are just my disorganized musings on your question.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Lenexa

Faith: Old Orthodox

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS, DEUS ADERIT

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 03:30:44 PM »

I think that you need to understand these verses in context as meaning that we are all equally heirs, that is, children who can attain sanctification, sainthood, in Christ regardless of our gender or race or ethnicity. However 1st Corinthians 11 clearly explains the division between male and female and that in terms of hierarchy that women are subordinate to men. However in spite of the woman being subordinate to man she may attain to a perfection in Christ that far exceeds her husband or father. I think that this is what St.Maximos meant by "transcending this division" as he does not state that we are to "destroy", "terminate" or "eliminate" this division. I don't think that there is any conflict but I am posting links to St.John Chrysostom's Commentary/Homilies on the verses related to gender division.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/23103.htm
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/220126.htm
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 03:58:04 PM »

The historical context is:  to be part of the Old (Jewish) Covenent, you had to be male, Jewish, and freeborn.  St. Paul is saying that you can be part of the New (Church) covenent, even if you're female, a Gentile, and a slave.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »

The historical context is:  to be part of the Old (Jewish) Covenent, you had to be male, Jewish, and freeborn.  St. Paul is saying that you can be part of the New (Church) covenent, even if you're female, a Gentile, and a slave.

Enlightening.  Thank you.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »

St. Paul said that:

You have stumbled across one of those rare moments when St. Maximos was wrong.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »

St. Paul said that:

I wouldn't say "wrong", but certainly not of the same mind as certain "conservative" magazines.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:57:10 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 05:51:44 PM »

St. Paul said that:

How? And how do you know?

ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 06:52:45 PM »

St. Paul said that:

He created them Male and Female in His Image and Likeness before the Fall.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 07:15:34 PM »

St. Paul said that:

but He did that because He knew we would fall, and would need a way to continue the race, so He equipped us beforehand for the fall.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 07:46:44 PM »

St. Paul said that:

but He did that because He knew we would fall, and would need a way to continue the race, so He equipped us beforehand for the fall.
yes, I've seen that theory floated before. But then He wouldn't have given their first commandment in Paradise:be fruitful and multiply.

jckstraw72
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »

St. Paul said that:

yes, I've seen that theory floated before. But then He wouldn't have given their first commandment in Paradise:be fruitful and multiply.

we were still called to multiply, just not sexually ... sex didnt exist in the Garden, and the Theotokos is an example of how procreation was meant to happen.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 07:53:11 PM »

St. Paul said that:

Evidently you don't understand St. Maximus' teaching then.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 08:05:18 PM »

St. Paul said that:

we were still called to multiply, just not sexually ... sex didnt exist in the Garden, and the Theotokos is an example of how procreation was meant to happen.
Then the Fathers would not have waxed eloquent on how Adam begot a son after his image and likeness like the Father begot the Son, and that Eve (i.e. Life) processed out of Adam's side like the Spirit from the Father. Nor would there have been any talk of becoming one flesh. "...for this reason..."

I do, but why don't you be more specific in your defense of St. Maximos' teaching, and I can reply.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:07:17 PM by ialmisry » Logged

jckstraw72
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »

St. Paul said that:

Then the Fathers would not have waxed eloquent on how Adam begot a son after his image and likeness like the Father begot the Son, and that Eve (i.e. Life) processed out of Adam's side like the Spirit from the Father. Nor would there have been any talk of becoming one flesh. "...for this reason..."

not sure how any of this disagrees with what i said ...

jckstraw72
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »

St. Paul said that:

I do, but why don't you be more specific in your defense of St. Maximos' teaching, and I can reply.

St. John of Damascus, Exact Exposition 4.24
But we, made confident by God the Word that was made flesh of the Virgin, answer that virginity was implanted in man’s nature from above and in the beginning. For man was formed of virgin soil. From Adam alone was Eve created. In Paradise virginity held sway. Indeed, Divine Scripture tells that both Adam and Eve were naked and were not ashamed. But after their transgression they knew that they were naked, and in their shame they sewed aprons for themselves. And when, after the transgression, Adam heard, dust thou art and unto dust shalt thou return, when death entered into the world by reason of the transgression, then Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bare seed. So that to prevent the wearing out and destruction of the race by death, marriage was devised that the race of men may be preserved through the procreation of children
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 10:01:26 PM »

As I read this thread, the subject of discussion is the male/female distinction and how this will be realized in the Kingdom of the age to come. I'm not sure how yet another rendition of the debate over whether there was sex in the first Paradise connects with this subject.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 05:13:00 AM »

As I read this thread, the subject of discussion is the male/female distinction and how this will be realized in the Kingdom of the age to come. I'm not sure how yet another rendition of the debate over whether there was sex in the first Paradise connects with this subject.

Isn't that where all threads on gender go?  Cheesy  I'm not miffed though, I have no problem with threads developing in whatever direction people want. I think that's better than a heavy handed insistence on staying on topic (not that I think any mods here are heavy handed, nor do I intend to impugn your post, which I thank you for).

And I also thank those who suggested some ideas regarding the OP Smiley
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:13:44 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 09:27:16 AM »

Since, according to St. Maximus, the male/female division was brought about specifically for the purpose of procreation, I think the connection is obvious and also unavoidable.

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 10:20:53 AM »

Great summary. Thank you!

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 09:43:11 PM »

Since, according to St. Maximus, the male/female division was brought about specifically for the purpose of procreation, I think the connection is obvious and also unavoidable.
And yet, I see this thread getting derailed by a different topic that we've already discussed in many other places on this forum.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 10:07:51 PM »

St. Paul said that:

St. John of Damascus, Exact Exposition 4.24
But we, made confident by God the Word that was made flesh of the Virgin, answer that virginity was implanted in man’s nature from above and in the beginning. For man was formed of virgin soil. From Adam alone was Eve created. In Paradise virginity held sway. Indeed, Divine Scripture tells that both Adam and Eve were naked and were not ashamed. But after their transgression they knew that they were naked, and in their shame they sewed aprons for themselves. And when, after the transgression, Adam heard, dust thou art and unto dust shalt thou return, when death entered into the world by reason of the transgression, then Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bare seed. So that to prevent the wearing out and destruction of the race by death, marriage was devised that the race of men may be preserved through the procreation of children

Ibid, I:8
The terms, 'Word' and 'effulgence,' then, are used because He is begotten of the Father without the union of two, or passion, or time, or flux, or separation : and the terms 'Son' and 'impress of the Father's subsistence,' because He is perfect and has subsistence and is in all respects similar to the Father, save that the Father is not begotten : and the term 'Only-begotten' because He alone was begotten alone of the Father alone. For no other generation is like to the generation of the Son of God, since no other is Son of God. For though the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father, yet this is not generative in character but processional. This is a different mode of existence, alike incomprehensible and unknown, just as is the generation of the Son. Wherefore all the qualities the Father has are the Son's, save that the Father is unbegotten , and this exception involves no difference in essence nor dignity , but only a different mode of coming into existence. We have an analogy in Adam, who was not begotten (for God Himself moulded him), and Seth, who was begotten (for he is Adam's son), and Eve, who proceeded out of Adam's rib (for she was not begotten). These do not differ from each other in nature, for they are human beings: but they differ in the mode of coming into existence.

Tags: gender 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: