OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 10:44:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'A convert' - an insult?  (Read 981 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: November 11, 2010, 01:07:59 PM »

So I know one convert who thinks that a word 'convert' is very offensive because it literally means 'switching between two equal valuse' and conversion to Orthodoxy is choosing the best path.

What do you think?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »

So I know one convert who thinks that a word 'convert' is very offensive because it literally means 'switching between two equal valuse' and conversion to Orthodoxy is choosing the best path.

What do you think?

Language is tricky and I suspect whether or not the term is offensive or not to some may depend on how it is applied to them.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:19:42 PM »

To expand on podkarpatska's comment, I know in medieval Spain, the word converso was used as an insult by the so-called Old Christian families.  Conversos usually had Jewish or Muslim backgrounds and, as such, were often suspect as to the veracity of their faith.  The famous Inquisition was called to address these concerns. 

I think it largely depends on how it's used.  If someone says that someone doesn't know something or doesn't have the Orthodox phromena because he or she is "just a convert," then, yes, it's certainly being used as an insult.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »

doesn't have the Orthodox phromena because
Well, it would take one[fill in the blanks] just to know that wordSmiley
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »

I think it largely depends on how it's used.  If someone says that someone doesn't know something or doesn't have the Orthodox phromena because he or she is "just a convert," then, yes, it's certainly being used as an insult.

No, it's not about that stereotypes. Only the meaning.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »

I really don't think "convert" means that the faith left and the faith accepted are of equal value. There's nothing in that word that really denotes that.

Anyway, we are all converts. No one enters the Church through the birth canal but through the baptismal font (or chrismation or whatever). We make a conversion also, at many points in life, from sin to righteousness each time we repent and confess. We are always converting, always turning back to God. Neither the convert no the cradle can boast of anything because the Orthodox faith was not created by man, but given by God--and not because anyone was worthy of it, but because people needed it for salvation.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 02:38:20 PM »

As a convert, I really do not consider the word at all insulting.  In fact, I believe the word is useful, and this is a matter that I have discussed with my priest on occasion.  Depending on how, why, and from what the individual converted, the person may still be inclined to view things through the filter of his or her former teaching than through an "Orthodox" mindset.  This is particularly true when the person converts from a belief system that does a good job indoctrinating their members, and has a good parochial education system.  This does not mean that the person is at all bad, but only that certain terms mean something different in different belief systems. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 02:54:35 PM »

Well my OC net name obviously reveals I would have no concept of an insult & also that deep thought was not applied to its application.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »

Anyway, we are all converts.

Exactly. Great point.

Love never fails.
authio
Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 03:07:59 AM »

Exactly. Great point.

Ditto.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 08:09:06 AM »

I'm first to admit that I'm a convert but I think that there is a certain point between distinction between converts and cradles. Some of us has worked out their salvation in the Church a little longer than the others. That certainly makes a difference.

katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 11:40:31 AM »

Exactly. Great point.

A GOA bishop I know once gently reproved someone who referred to me as a convert (although they didn't use the word in a negative way) by saying that we are all converts. He went on to explain that even if someone was "born into the Faith," he or she still must make the faith (of their parents or that they were raised in) their own - that process, and the process of theosis is conversion.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: