OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:00:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new inquirer  (Read 7083 times) Average Rating: 0
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« on: March 29, 2004, 07:10:10 PM »

Hi, I'm Dianne from North Carolina and have recently become an inquirer into Orthodoxy.  I'm married, and mom to two teenagers.  (And I believe I already know a few of you from TAW at CF.  Oblio? Andreas?  Hi!)   Cheesy
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 08:47:47 PM »

Hi Dianne!
Welcome to OC.net. In what part of the Tarheel State do you live (or better, have you been to a Divine Liturgy yet and where)? Sounds like you have.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 08:53:56 PM »

Welcome aboard, Dianne.  We always look forward to the contributions of a new member!
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 08:54:15 PM »

Thank you, Apistokles! (Did I transliterate correctly?)  Do you also live in the Tarheel State?  

I live near Mooresville, which is about 18 miles north of Charlotte. Yes, I have been to Divine Liturgy twice, and Vespers once, at an OCA parish in Charlotte.

It felt like home.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 08:56:26 PM by countrymouse » Logged
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 08:57:13 PM »

Thanks, Nektarios Smiley
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 03:44:37 AM »

Hi Dianne (rats, no :wave: smiley over here Wink)

a big warm welcome from me too Smiley

John.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 04:01:06 AM »

Thank you, Apistokles! (Did I transliterate correctly?)  Do you also live in the Tarheel State?  

I live near Mooresville, which is about 18 miles north of Charlotte. Yes, I have been to Divine Liturgy twice, and Vespers once, at an OCA parish in Charlotte.

It felt like home.  Smiley

I am so very glad for you. And I very much like the OCA and  visit a parish up here whenever I can make the longer drive. Very welcoming. (And you won't have to worry about learning Greek!)

Demetri  (Aristokles)

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 08:47:40 AM »

Hiya John!   Cheesy

Thanks Demetri  Smiley  (LOL, missed the "r."  I  took a semester of Greek many years ago; had to try & see what I remembered. )
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 10:17:09 AM »

LOL, missed the "r."  I  took a semester of Greek many years ago; had to try & see what I remembered

But you got the r right in my name....even spelled it with a k and not a c!
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 06:06:18 PM »

Welcome!  I've been to Charlotte a couple times, back when I lived out east.  A graceful southern city!  Go Panthers!

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 03:01:51 PM »

But you got the r right in my name....even spelled it with a k and not a c!  

Yes, LOL, go figure!  But I'm a contextual thinker, and got the "sound connection" between "nectar" and "Nektarios," I think.  

Hi gregory2; yes, Go Panthers! (It was a treat to see them actually go to the Superbowl; none of us really expected it!)
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 11:54:18 AM »

Welcome countrymouse...
The Panthers I admit provided us with a great Super Bowl, but even though I now officially live in The South, I still love my Pats (besides, I think I would get disowned by my mother's entire family if I switched).

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 12:23:02 PM »

Hi ania, and thanks for the welcome Smiley

I suppose we can let you stay in the South without switching. Wink
EndureToLive

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2004, 02:09:49 AM »

Greetings CountryMouse!

Christ is risen!

Were you able to attend the Pascha service?  This year was the first Pascha service that I was really able to attend, and it was just beautiful.  My family and I attend a Patriarchal Parish (Russian) in Grand Rapids, MI.

Grace & Peace,
ETL
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 02:11:16 AM by EndureToLive » Logged

"As the moon blots out the sun, so does human wisdom blot out the Divine in our hearts."
-Unworthy Servant of the Almighty
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2004, 08:57:37 AM »

Greetings to you, ETL!

Christ is Risen; Indeed He is Risen!

(Are you the ETL who used to post at 5solas??? aletheo's brother?)  Yes, I was able to attend the Pascha service, which was wonderful!  The parish I attend is an OCA parish, and I'm about to begin inquirer's classes.  

God bless you,
Dianne
EndureToLive

OC.net

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2004, 02:00:38 PM »

Yes CountryMouse, you caught me red handed.You remember correctly.  At the time, I was still Protestant, and even now I have not been Orthodox too long.  My time of inquiry and the excitement of it is stiil fresh in my memory.  Blessings to you, my friend, as you begin classes.

Grace & Peace,
ETL

"As the moon blots out the sun, so does human wisdom blot out the Divine in our hearts."
-Unworthy Servant of the Almighty
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2004, 02:54:41 PM »

I love North Carolina.  I used to live there from 1995-2002.  Now I live in NY, but will probably move back to NC in the next five years for life.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2004, 09:02:20 PM »

anastasios, the first people I met at the parish I attend are originally from New York, and our priest is from New Jersey.  (He says the summers are too long and the fall colors aren't as pretty.  But he likes it anyway!)   I'm glad you want to come back to NC; it's a good place to live.  If you're in the Charlotte area when you return, I can recommend a church!
Photini

Place Personal Text Here

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2004, 09:55:57 PM »

Hi Dianne.  

Yep, I'm the same Photini from CF.  This is my first post here, but I've been a member for a long time.  

Glad to see you here!
Oblio
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2004, 09:59:13 PM »

CF Withdrawls I see Smiley
Photini

Place Personal Text Here

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2004, 10:05:28 PM »

CF Withdrawls I see Smiley

Heh heh....you got me.   Grin
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2004, 10:12:50 PM »

Erwin's note was a bit ominous.

Something went wrong last night ...

I remember last time something went wrong and we lost 6 mos of posts and all users that registered in that time.

BTW - Happy feast day !

Photini

Place Personal Text Here

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2004, 10:21:18 PM »

Yea...I remember that.  

Thanks.  It's been a very nice day.
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2004, 10:43:44 PM »

I was hoping to see Wisdom's Child over here.  I enjoy his posts.
Photini

Place Personal Text Here

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2004, 10:49:01 PM »

I also really enjoy Rilian's posts.  

Does Maximus still come around?
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2004, 11:16:10 PM »

I enjoy Rilians posts too.

I have not seen Maximus (Linus7) over there for awhile, though I miss him too over at CF Wink  IIRC he is still active here.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2004, 11:56:12 PM »

+º-ü+++++¦+¦ +á+++++++¦! Many years!  

Have a most blessed nameday, Photini!
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2004, 11:57:07 PM »

Who or what is CF?

Countrymouse,  I have had the same experience as you every time I attend services at the Orthodox Church.  There is no way one can deny that it is home.  I wish you a succesful journey to the Orthodox Church.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2004, 02:19:59 AM »

Who or what is CF?

www.christianforums.com
It's been loading slow as molasses lately, and Erwin (the owner) did some maintenance on the database over the weekend which apparently has gone awry Sad.

John.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2004, 02:48:00 AM »

ah I see.  Thank you.  There was another forum of old that had as its popularly ascribed acronym CF and it led to me being confused.

Joe Zollars
the ever confused one

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2004, 08:13:52 AM »

Joe,

I don't know if you are thinking of the old TBTSNBN or as Linus liked to call it Geneva.com  CF is actually a nice place.  We have grown the Orthodox presence ther from a couple of actives, into a small, tightnit, and with God's grace. growing community.  While we do not have the numbers of some of the others over there, I believe that we are an outpost of Orthodox thought in a heavily Protestant/Catholic land.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2004, 10:36:46 AM »

no that was not the forum I was thinking of.  Actually what on earth is taht forum?

I was thinking of an Anglo-Catholic forum that went defunct a few years ago.  BTW it did have some Orthodox presence on it--but unfortunatly a greater troll presence.

Joe Zollars

countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2004, 10:38:37 AM »

Who or what is CF?

Countrymouse,  I have had the same experience as you every time I attend services at the Orthodox Church.  There is no way one can deny that it is home.  I wish you a succesful journey to the Orthodox Church.

Joe Zollars

Thank you very much, Joe!  Smiley

Hi Photini - happy name day (a day late); Hi Oblio!
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2004, 10:44:45 AM »

no that was not the forum I was thinking of.  Actually what on earth is taht forum?

Joe Zollars

TBTSNBN=The Board that Shall Not Be Named.  Namely, the forums at Christianity.com where several of us engaged in discussion with the evangelicals/calvinists/etc there.  Linus and Oblio were the primary people involved but a few others participated.  Instead of attempting to refute the positions stated, the administrators of the board banned everyone for violation of the Terms of Service agreement.  Some good was done there as a handful of people began to inquire into the Orthodox Church, and at least one that I know of was chrismated.  Go to the first pages of Free-for-all and you'll find the thread about all this.  It is over 20 pages long, I forget the title, though.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2004, 10:53:15 AM »

oy! well I think I will stay away from such places.

Joe Zollars

SL4God

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2004, 08:29:21 AM »

What happened to CF since I haven't been there in awhile and when I looked yesterday it simply disappeared?
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2004, 11:07:22 AM »

TBTSNBN=The Board that Shall Not Be Named.  Namely, the forums at Christianity.com where several of us engaged in discussion with the evangelicals/calvinists/etc there.  Linus and Oblio were the primary people involved but a few others participated.  Instead of attempting to refute the positions stated, the administrators of the board banned everyone for violation of the Terms of Service agreement.  Some good was done there as a handful of people began to inquire into the Orthodox Church, and at least one that I know of was chrismated.  Go to the first pages of Free-for-all and you'll find the thread about all this.  It is over 20 pages long, I forget the title, though.

Those were the good ol' days, and I guess we did some good, but I wouldn't do the same again today (I think).

Loads of aggravation.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2004, 11:37:41 AM »

What happened to CF since I haven't been there in awhile and when I looked yesterday it simply disappeared?

Oddly enough it is down today also.  I suspect that it is down for some technical upgrades, primarily WRT search features that were bringing it to it's knees.  Perhaps it is a sign that I should get off the PC and do something 'useful' around the house Smiley
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2004, 11:50:37 PM »

Hi, I'm Dianne from North Carolina and have recently become an inquirer into Orthodoxy.  I'm married, and mom to two teenagers.  (And I believe I already know a few of you from TAW at CF.  Oblio? Andreas?  Hi!)   Cheesy

Hi Cheesy

"It's later than you think! Hasten therefore to do the work of God."
 -Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Catwell
Inquirer

Faith: Carpatho-Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the USA

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »

Welcome  Cheesy  I'm a new inquirer as well at an OCA parish.

Many years!

-Caitlin
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »

Many years!

Six, to be exact.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Catwell
Inquirer

Faith: Carpatho-Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the USA

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »

Why six?  Huh
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »

I was just commenting on how this thread was posted on March 29, 2004 (actually 7 years ago...whoops).

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »

Catwell, this is a common mistake that new to the board members make - countrymouse's posts were actually posted back in 2004 - so this is an old post.  Smiley  I don't know if countrymouse is still here or not.  

The dates of the posts are a little hard to see at first.  

I think we can now say you're official.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:29:58 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: