OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 10:54:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Humanists launch huge 'godless' ad campaign  (Read 510 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 11, 2010, 10:57:01 AM »

From CNN:

""We're targeting for criticism those who read the Bible literally, not those who pick and choose what they like," he said. "We're telling (people who  pick and choose), 'You're more like us.' Biblical literalists and Quranic  literalists are holding us back.

"We know that you can be good without God, but many folks in America don't know that," he said.

The campaign features violent or sexist quotes from holy books,  contrasted with more compassionate quotes from humanist thinkers, including  physicist Albert Einstein."

Not targeting those who "pick and choose"? Even fundamentalists "pick and choose", so I guess they're not targeting fundamentalists either.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:58:45 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »

The group is putting ads in newspapers across the country - and advertising on NBC - in the $200,000 campaign, AHA head Roy Speckhardt told CNN.

I wonder if they pass the plate before or after the sermon pep rally rational discussion.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »

From CNN:

""We're targeting for criticism those who read the Bible literally, not those who pick and choose what they like," he said. "We're telling (people who  pick and choose), 'You're more like us.' Biblical literalists and Quranic  literalists are holding us back.

"We know that you can be good without God, but many folks in America don't know that," he said.

The campaign features violent or sexist quotes from holy books,  contrasted with more compassionate quotes from humanist thinkers, including  physicist Albert Einstein."

Not targeting those who "pick and choose"? Even fundamentalists "pick and choose", so I guess they're not targeting fundamentalists either.

No, they aren't targeting those who "pick and choose" because they pick those Humanists they like to state-rather dogmatically (but with what authority they do not state. Typical)-what "Humanists think..." There are several humanists I can list that they won't be quoting. They want to replace this

with

http://www.seanscreenplays.com/betenoirecd/Articles1/JMPlus1/Cult%20of%20the%20Supreme%20Being.htm
http://history.howstuffworks.com/european-history/french-revolution8.htm
which led to this

but of course they like to disown humanist regimes like the Reign of Terror.

Speaking of which, Interesting how they note
"There has only been one member of Congress in the history of the United  States who has come out and said he doesn't believe in God," Speckhardt said, identifying the legislator as Rep. Pete Stark, D-California
Anyone might like to see Mr. Stark's career.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 02:07:07 PM »

I saw one of the ads. It's the typical nonsense you can imagine. If I recall correctly, it was the verse from 1 Timothy that says a wife must submit to her husband. Then a woman comes on and says she is her own person. So come be a humanist with me!

I imagine this mostly is intended to make God-haters feel superior and enlightened. If any Christian heeds such an advertisement, it's someone with extremely weak faith. Playing on such people is simply demonic, which I believe this group is.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 02:29:44 PM »

What gets me is when people like that talk about religion as if it's only cases of people doing something bad. There were bad ones, but there were good ones, too. They never talk about religious people who help the poor, or who are humble, and so forth. Oh well, I've got to go out and oppress somebody!  (sarcasm)   Roll Eyes

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 03:04:09 PM »

What gets me is when people like that talk about religion as if it's only cases of people doing something bad. There were bad ones, but there were good ones, too. They never talk about religious people who help the poor, or who are humble, and so forth. Oh well, I've got to go out and oppress somebody!  (sarcasm)   Roll Eyes

Also you never hear secularists or atheists decry their fellow travelers with the blood of millions on their hands, i.e. Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot or Hitler as being 'proof' of the moral vacuity of their belief systems.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »

I saw one of the ads. It's the typical nonsense you can imagine. If I recall correctly, it was the verse from 1 Timothy that says a wife must submit to her husband. Then a woman comes on and says she is her own person. So come be a humanist with me!

I imagine this mostly is intended to make God-haters feel superior and enlightened. If any Christian heeds such an advertisement, it's someone with extremely weak faith. Playing on such people is simply demonic, which I believe this group is.

Did you see the use of that verse in misquotation by Alan Grayson to mislabel his opponent "Taliban Dan?" what had been a close race got an ever widening 10 point spread immediately after the ad aired.

In the real world, no one thinks of committing incest against their children. The mere mention of such a thought is sickening and immoral. Immorality of this sort is most definitively off topic.
Only in Sodom and Gomorra would they carry out such a practice! Or perhaps in the Soviets..

I don't know about the incest, but legal marriage is definitely something that Bolsheviks hated and wanted to abolish. In December 1917, the Council of People's Comissars issued a decree, signed by its chairman (Lenin), stating that from now on, all of these so-called "marriages" are null and void and that any woman is free to enter in a sexual relationship with any man and vice versa (http://nnm.ru/blogs/la_van/russkaya_seksualnaya_revolyuciya/#cut). In 1919, the director of the newly founded "Institute of Social Hygiene," Batkis, reported to the CPC that "throughout the country, sexual unions have become what they really are supposed to be, i.e. a private matter of our citizens." At about the same time, Alexandra Kollontai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Kollontai), the People's Comissar for Social Welfare, made fiery speeches where she said that a conscientious revolutionary has no right to tie him- or herself up with this bourgeous prejudice called "family," and that the young people must be brought up in the notion that "to have sex with anyone you want must be as easy as to drink a glass of water." The posters shown on this site, http://nnm.ru/blogs/la_van/russkaya_seksualnaya_revolyuciya/#cut, made in the early 1920-s, say that "every male member of the Young Communist League has the right and the obligation to fulfill his sexual desires, and every female member must help him with that, or else she is a petty bourgeoise."
Now that's really being "her own person."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: