OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 09:36:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Join ROCOR?  (Read 9417 times) Average Rating: 0
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« on: March 29, 2004, 02:26:11 AM »

Who here can tell me they don't want to join up after seeing this picture? Can you really turn your back on stuffed animals and children?  Awww....

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 02:36:37 AM »

I'm sold! Grin

I like your avatar. Do you know where I can buy that Icon? Smiley

"It's later than you think! Hasten therefore to do the work of God."
 -Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 03:02:05 AM »

I'm sold! Grin

I like your avatar. Do you know where I can buy that Icon? Smiley

I think you may be able to purchase it from Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, but I'm not 100% sure.  I have one, but got it from an icon shop in Russia... don't know how I'd put you in touch with them  Smiley

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 04:26:55 AM »

That's okay. Smiley

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 06:00:34 AM »

A tempting bait, but I think I'll do a bit more seeking answers before I decide I should change jurisdictions Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley

NULL
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 10:55:52 AM »

Andreas,
You might either try contacting Holy Trinity Monastary, where they might have it in their bookstore, though I haven't been there recently, so I don't know if they still have it.  Or you could contact Holy Epiphany ROCOR Church in Boston, where the original icon is.  Here is their website. http://www.bostonrusschurch.org/index_en.html  

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 11:10:55 AM »

Since when did Tim Allen start wearing a cassock?  Wink

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 01:47:24 PM »

Andreas,
You might either try contacting Holy Trinity Monastary, where they might have it in their bookstore, though I haven't been there recently, so I don't know if they still have it.  Or you could contact Holy Epiphany ROCOR Church in Boston, where the original icon is.  Here is their website. http://www.bostonrusschurch.org/index_en.html  

Good idea. I'll do that, thanks. Smiley

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 05:54:48 PM »

Ok it is settled, I'm in.  

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 06:52:58 PM »

Anathema! Time for R**C.
monarhist

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 01:30:06 AM »

>>Since when did Tim Allen start wearing a cassock?

Please don't attack our Metropolitan. I'm greatly offended. Shame.

The People's Patriotic Movement "One Orthodox Russia"
http://www.pravoslavnayarus.tk/
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 08:42:26 AM »

>>Since when did Tim Allen start wearing a cassock?

Please don't attack our Metropolitan. I'm greatly offended. Shame.

Aww c'mon! Give us a break! It's okay for Orthodox to have a sense of humour.

The Metropolitan was not being attacked at all. It was simply an observation of the similar look of between the Metropolitan and how Tim Allen looked in the move The Santa Clause.

And it is so true!
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 11:33:43 AM »

Aww c'mon! Give us a break! It's okay for Orthodox to have a sense of humour.

The Metropolitan was not being attacked at all. It was simply an observation of the similar look of between the Metropolitan and how Tim Allen looked in the move The Santa Clause.

And it is so true!

Thanks, Tom.

I had no idea who the cleric in that photo was, and I certainly intended no "attack."

He just reminded me of Santa Claus.  Grin

That's all.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2004, 05:00:38 PM »

Ok it is settled, I'm in.  

Don't you dare! The GOA needs pious young upstarts such as yourself!  Smiley

Michael

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 06:45:27 PM »

Too late the picture has me sold....I'm going to the ROCOR parish here friday night for Lazaros Saturday...

Before people gasp and cry jurisdiction hopper, the reason I am going is because my parish doesn't offer this service.  The next mornign it is back to the trenches in the GOA for liturgy.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 06:56:31 PM »

Too late the picture has me sold....I'm going to the ROCOR parish here friday night for Lazaros Saturday...

Before people gasp and cry jurisdiction hopper, the reason I am going is because my parish doesn't offer this service.  The next mornign it is back to the trenches in the GOA for liturgy.  

And besides, how could you not go back to the Greek Church...spelling Lazarus like that and all.  Smiley

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2004, 07:16:47 PM »

Yeah I guess I better go back to the Greek Church since I use an Orthodox Language rather than Latinizing everything like Russians do.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 08:03:04 PM by +Â¥+¦+¦-ä+¼-ü+¦++-é » Logged
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2004, 07:58:32 PM »

Yeah I guess I better go back to the Greek Church since I use and Orthodox Language rather an Latinizing everything like Russians do.  

Have you started taking those organ lessons yet?  Wink

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2004, 08:02:08 PM »

No, but I can sing soprano
monarhist

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 12:43:34 AM »

We might not have the Orthodox Language, but at least we've got the Orthodox Calendar. ;-)

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2004, 01:49:25 AM »

no comment.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2004, 03:39:08 AM »

No, but I can sing soprano

So can I...and Alto...and Tenor...and Bass, but usually mainly Tenor.

Again, list to this:
http://orthotracts.org/music/25Track25.wma

He can REALLY sing all the parts (everything you here is just him).
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2004, 03:40:02 AM »

no comment.

Joe Zollars

Dude, that was a comment.  No comment would've been not posting at all.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2004, 02:07:14 PM »

Met. Herman giving Met. Laurus a run for his money:

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2004, 05:16:31 PM »

tsk tsk look at all those girls in Church without their heads covered.  and those pews...........

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2004, 05:29:48 PM »

Met. Herman wins! Score one for ecumenist pseudo Orthodoxy!
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2004, 05:30:59 PM »

waithow does he win?

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2004, 05:32:02 PM »

Doesn't met. Laurus' really cool beard get him some points.  I mean he looks so much like Santa he should win with the kiddies.

Joe Zollars

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2004, 08:33:32 PM »

Bishop Tikhon (OCA DoW) probably has the best looking beard - he looks very bishoply.

[anal comment]Joe, talking to one of my best friend's mom, who is cradle, >60 and Latvian, she reminds me that head coverings are for grown women - NOT little girls.[/anal comment]

TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2004, 11:09:52 PM »

Yeah I guess I better go back to the Greek Church since I use an Orthodox Language rather than Latinizing everything like Russians do.  

Hmmm...an Orthodox Language?  Church Slavonic which was codified by Saints Cyril and Methodius for the sole purpose of spreading the Gospel message of Christ is an Orthodox Language.  The language of the Pagan philosophers is not an Orthodox Language.

I wish all a profitable Great Week.

TonyS

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2004, 11:10:53 PM »

hey it was just a joke!  But since you  mentioned it how about the grown women in those pictures without headcoverings and in clothing entirely innapropriate for Church?

Joe Zollars

monarhist

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2004, 11:24:48 PM »

One vote for wannabe Catholics. The pews won me over.
;-)

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2004, 11:36:00 PM »

Monarhist,

The links on your site "-¥-+-¦-+-ü-é-+" and "-¥-¦-ê-¦ -ö-¦-+-¦-¦-+-î-¦" don't seem to work. Do you run this yourself? I like the use of pre-soviet letters. he he. Wink

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2004, 11:57:04 PM »

tsk tsk look at all those girls in Church without their heads covered.  and those pews...........

Joe Zollars

That's how you can tell an ethnic Orthodox Church from a "convert" Orthodox Church: the age of the girls wearing head coverings.  I have never seen girls under 10ish wearing head coverings in an ethnic Orthodox Church; I compare that to seeing 4 year olds with head coverings at some Churches and wanting to cringe.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2004, 01:30:19 AM »

hey it was just a joke!  But since you  mentioned it how about the grown women in those pictures without headcoverings and in clothing entirely innapropriate for Church?

Joe Zollars

Yeah, and mine wasn't comletely without jest either (due to the quotes). Smiley

Have a good Holy Week.
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2004, 05:16:04 AM »

Excuse me, but what's wrong with little girls wearing headcoverings? One should get used to proper orthopraxis at an early age.

Does "bishoply" exist as a word? Cheesy

NULL
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2004, 07:45:30 AM »

Excuse me, but what's wrong with little girls wearing headcoverings? One should get used to proper orthopraxis at an early age.

I agree. It is also important for them to understand that while they are in church, they are not supposed to talk - at all. They need to understand that if they have any questions, they should wait until they are outside the church and then ask their father or older brother.
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2004, 09:43:54 AM »

In Russian tradition, females didn't have to wear headcoverings until their marriage.  Once they were married in some villiages there was even a ceremony for the putting on of the platok (scarf, whatever).  It irks me to no end when people (and I have seen this time & again, 95% of the time from non-ethnic) even put scarves on infants just baptised.  People who do that should read up on orthopraxis themselves, rather than try to foist their interpretation onto others (which some tend to do, gives me agida! :-).  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with girls wearing headcoverings (they look especially cute in hats), but somehow people now have the impression that that was always the norm, which it WAS NOT!

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2004, 09:48:21 AM »

This is interesting.  In the OCA church I attend, almost none of the women were any headcoverings, including the priest's wife.  Is this unusual in OCA parishes?
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2004, 10:03:36 AM »

In my OCA parish, we have around 10-20% of the women who wear headcoverings, most of them are immigrants from Eastern Europe.  Of the four OCA priests I know very well in my area, only the wife of one of the four regularly covers her head.  

Personally I am glad when women wear headcoverings as it is less distractful to me a single and sinful man, and I would say that many men here probably agree with me.  Why not try to positively reinforce this aspect of pietism by complementing the headcoverings of the ladies who wear them and perhaps offering to donate 5 or so scarves and a basket for them to be placed in the vestibule.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2004, 10:04:08 AM »

No, it isn't unusual.  Most of the ones I've been in, most women don't wear them, though some do.
neworthodox

OC.net

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2004, 10:34:59 AM »

In my OCA parish, the majority of women do wear some kind of headcovering, though a lot don't. It seems to be a personal decision. And the little girls sometimes ask to wear a scarf or hat so as to be more "grown-up" and "dressed up". Remember it hasn't been that long ago when wearing a hat to church (any church) was considered proper. I remember my (Lutheran) mother's  and (Catholic) grandmother's gorgeous hats! Although I personally feel like a doofus in a hat (more like Mr. Ed   Grin and less like Audrey Hepburn) and wear a scarf.
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2004, 10:57:51 AM »

Why not try to positively reinforce this aspect of pietism by complementing the headcoverings of the ladies who wear them and perhaps offering to donate 5 or so scarves and a basket for them to be placed in the vestibule.  

That sounds like a good idea!  (Pray that I'll have the courage; I'm so new there, and I don't want to appear to be "wackadox.") Now to find some scarves that will actually do the job without being gaudy.
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2004, 11:03:19 AM »

I remember my (Lutheran) mother's  and (Catholic) grandmother's gorgeous hats! Although I personally feel like a doofus in a hat (more like Mr. Ed   Grin and less like Audrey Hepburn) and wear a scarf.

Teehee, join the club!  I have a real talent for making hats look silly.   :-  (And I remember when hats were de rigeur in my Baptist grandmother's church.)
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2004, 12:07:37 PM »

The trick, ladies, is finding the perfect style of hats for you.  :-)  If I wear a wide brim, I tend to look like a  mushroom, but narrow rimmed, or ones with no rim at all (ala 20s & 30s) look pretty good.  Sad to say though, that even hats sometimes bring on comments from the strictest of the "traditionalists."

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: