OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 02:22:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any regrets?  (Read 8662 times) Average Rating: 0
suzannes

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2006, 10:49:35 PM »

This is only a partial answer to your question, but on the subject of regrets; I wish I had had more discretion with what I was reading online, regarding Orthodoxy.  Early on, even with a great parish and a great priest, it's sometimes easy to be influenced by the opinions of others.  I would get hung up on some ridiculous thing like: "this person is Orthodox, but writes for a Christian site that links to a evengelical church with missionaries in Ukraine, HOW CAN THIS BE?Huh  I don't understand, I'm confused!!!"  Obviously, there's no spiritual growth iin this sort of obsessing.  It does nothing to help us look inward, and I'm still sorry that I wasn't concentrating on more spiritually important things (like my own humility, which is always a tough one!)
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2006, 05:38:15 PM »

Irene,

I thought that was so. However, I found that any scholarship offered through the Greek Orthodox Church or their own auxiliaries are open to all "Greek Orthodox" whether you are ethnically Greek or not.  However there are some private (nonchurch) foundations that require one to be "Greek" and will give the scholarship to a Greek who is not orthodox.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2006, 05:53:24 PM »

I regret not coming to the Church sooner  Smiley
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2006, 10:48:57 PM »

ÂÂ  
Each year, scholarships are given, and some of the scholarships require the recipient to be of Greek origin. So, in the GOC, even if my kids qualify in every other way, they are out, since we aren't Greek.

ÂÂ  

As Thomas said, that's not always true. I know of a person here at HCHC that wound up receiving a scholarship set up by a family for someone 'of Hellenic descent' even though that recipient wasn't Hellenic by a strict definition (well, his Dad's family was from a region north and west of Thrace [Germany] while his Mom was from the Islands [i.e., Ireland and England]  Cheesy).

The important thing is that when the recipieint marched to the podium to receive the scholarship, no one protested it at that time; the students hung together because they saw someone who needed the help get it, and they rejoiced for it.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2006, 11:23:25 PM »

Actually, it should be noted that the person who received such Hellenic descent scholarship exhibits more of the characteristics of "true Hellenism" (friendship to strangers, fidelity to the Church, wisdom) than the birth-Greeks here...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
irene

OC.net

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2006, 09:09:25 PM »

I'm glad it didn't matter.
I remember sitting in church reading the scholarship criteria, and thinking I wanted to protect my children from seeing it.   I guess that's the (over)protective mother in me.  I think it is hard enough for teens to start going to a new church, and then, over something they can't control, feel they can never be quite equal.   
I realize it isn't done to be hurtful, but I noticed it, and my heart sunk a little bit.   
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2006, 10:33:01 AM »

Of course you realize that movie was just making fun of the obvious correlation within the Greek community of "Greek-ness" and "Christian-ness".  But the point is taken.  I also feel the need to mention that that movie describes my LIFE.   Cheesy

I do, however, have a question:  I'm a cradle Greek Orthodox.  Iif I moved somewhere and there were no Greek parishes near me (or a different jurisdiction was closer), would I have to be "received" in some way by that jurisdiction?  My instinct is to say no, but some of you are referring to different jurisdictions' practices (preparation for taking communion, confession, prayer rules, etc) as though they are not compatible with all other Orthodox churches, to the point where it sounds like these customs are dogmatized.  Are different jurisdictions that incompatible?  I've taken communion in my friend's Antiochian church where her father is a priest, clearly that's not "wrong", right?

Zoe,
No, you need not be "received" by another juristiction. If you are Orthodox you are Orthodox regardless of the ethnic qualifier. The "incompatibilities" are often times overblown by the laity. It is perceived that the GOA is more "liberal" by some and ROCOR is "more traditional". *big eye roll*  Roll Eyes Honestly, I have not experienced this phenomnen and I grew up in a big ethnic enclave where I experienced GOA churches that were "conservative" and Russian churches were were more "liberal".

Personally, I was chrismated at an Antiochion church and when my job was transferred to another city my husband and I became members of the local Serbian Orthodox church. We decided on the SOC after visiting a Romanian, Antiochian and Greek church. The worst thing was getting aqainted with the old calendar.

The only way you would have any issue with being received into an Orthodox church is if you were to decide to attend an Oriental, Macedonian or something that claims to be an "orthodox" church but really isn't.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: