OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 10:30:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Churches in Uruguay  (Read 3404 times) Average Rating: 0
theodore

« on: March 28, 2004, 08:10:50 PM »

I need help finding the names and addresses of Orthodox Churches in Montevideo, Uruguay.  There is a woman in my parish who is moving back to Uruguay, and would like to find a parish there.   I've done various searches  via Google, and have only found one ROCA Church there.   Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Theodore
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 01:40:08 PM »

Here's one, a ROCOR parish found here

Montevideo
Church of Christ's Resurrection
Ramon del Valle Incl+ín 2761, Esq. Colorado
Montevideo, Uruguay
Tel: (5982) 23-4431
FAX: (5411) 4-768-5476
Services only when priest present, monthly
Priest Vladimiro Schlenew (5411) 4768-5476
San Lorenzo 155
Villa Ballester, Buenos Aires 1653, Argentina

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 07:06:28 AM »

Here's one, a ROCOR parish found here

Montevideo
Church of Christ's Resurrection
Ramon del Valle Incl+ín 2761, Esq. Colorado
Montevideo, Uruguay
Tel: (5982) 23-4431
FAX: (5411) 4-768-5476
Services only when priest present, monthly
Priest Vladimiro Schlenew (5411) 4768-5476
San Lorenzo 155
Villa Ballester, Buenos Aires 1653, Argentina

How did that church end up in a catholic country? I thought that you guys were against proselytizing? Whatever happened to respecting out mutual territories that we here so much against the catholics in eastern Europe?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 07:39:01 AM »

RB:

1) There are many Russians in South America. Hence there is a Church to serve them.

2) Our Lord commands us to evangelize the world so it would be against his command to not evangelize. Proselytism on the other hand would be defined as any type of unfair evangelism, such as bread for the Gospel (paying someone off with food or money), or lying to them, or attacking practicing Catholics.  There are plenty of non-practicing people of Catholic descent in Uruguay, just like there are plenty of non-practicing people of Orthodox descent in Russia.  According to such agreements, such people are fair game but not active believers.

3) The Catholics have plenty of churches in Russia, Greece, etc.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 07:40:26 AM »

I need help finding the names and addresses of Orthodox Churches in Montevideo, Uruguay.  There is a woman in my parish who is moving back to Uruguay, and would like to find a parish there.   I've done various searches  via Google, and have only found one ROCA Church there.   Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Theodore

Too bad the ROCOR Church only has services once a month. She will probably find a good home there though; it is probably the only Orthodox Church in Uruquay.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 07:43:10 AM »

Christos Anesti!  Christ is Risen!

How did that church end up in a catholic country? I thought that you guys were against proselytizing? Whatever happened to respecting out mutual territories that we here so much against the catholics in eastern Europe?

The Russians living in Uraguay did not wish to become Catholics. Note that it is just a church, there is no Orthodox Patriarchate being set up in Uraguay  Roll Eyes

John.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 10:24:24 PM »

1 billion Roman Catholics in the world vs. 250 million Orthodox Christians in the world, I hardly think that the Vatican has anything to worry about.  Relax Byz we Orthos have a lot to catch up on.  

JoeS Tongue
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: