OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 01:21:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper use and disposal of Baptismal Water  (Read 719 times) Average Rating: 0
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: November 09, 2010, 11:48:28 AM »

I attended a baptism this past Sunday morning, after which I saw people filling jugs from the font. (ROCOR) They said they used it to water the plants in their garden. I have also previously seen people dip their hand in the font and then make the sign of the Cross. (OCA) On the other hand, I have also heard contrary information that this water is blessed exclusively for baptism and should not be used for other purposes like regular holy water? What is the truth of the matter? or does this perhaps differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction? Thanks.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:58:23 AM »

We water some plants.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »

We have a dry well from the sacristy.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »

The water goes right into the ground in our parish.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:46:08 PM »

The rule I've always heard is that baptismal water must not be allowed to enter the sewer or into storm drainage, which eventually feeds into the sewer anyway. The water can be poured straight into the ground or directly into a stream.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:38:10 PM »

Water the trees in the orchard, since it is believed that they will bring more fruit.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »

We leave the font out for a few days. People will dip their fingers in it and cross themselves when walking by, fill up containers and take it home, etc. Sometimes we will sit cups out (like the ones we use for the wine after taking communion and before taking the antidoron) and people will simply dip one in and drink from it. After a few days, the water is dumped into the ground.

I've never heard about baptismal water being treated differently from holy water. IIRC, the same blessing of the water in the baptismal service is the same blessing given to holy water at other times. I'm curious to hear more about this tradition, it's completely alien to me.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 01:46:22 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »

We leave the font out for a few days. People will dip their fingers in it and cross themselves when walking by, fill up containers and take it home, etc. Sometimes we will sit cups out (like the ones we use for the wine after taking communion and before taking the antidoron) and people will simply dip one in and drink from it. After a few days, the water is dumped into the ground.

I've never heard about baptismal water being treated differently from holy water. IIRC, the same blessing of the water in the baptismal service is the same blessing given to holy water at other times. I'm curious to hear more about this tradition, it's completely alien to me.

Our baptismal water usually has a good oil slick on it by the time everything is done. And hair. So, besides what else might be in it if babies are baptized, I would not drink the oily, hairy water. Sucking spilled communion out of dirty carpet is one thing, that is quite another.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 01:01:25 PM »

I'm OCA, and holy water is holy water.  my priest uses it to water his flower garden  Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 01:15:45 PM »

Our chapel is on the third floor, so we have to syphon it through a long hose into the earth outside of the building. With mine, we tried to water a tree with it.
Tags: baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: