OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 12:11:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wonder-Working Kursk Icon will be at my church... now what?  (Read 496 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: November 09, 2010, 01:21:09 AM »

I just received an email from one of the parishoners that the wonder-working Kursk icon of the Theotokos will be at my church, St. Thomas the Apostle (OCA) this Wednesday!  So, for all those knowledgeable about these things, when I venerate her, what should I pray?  What should I ask for?

If you live in or near southern Missouri and want to attend, I'm told that it will be there only for an hour or so starting at 11am.  Click on the website link under my avatar for address and directions. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:04:54 AM »

I wish I could be there.    angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 07:34:01 PM »

*bump*

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »

Just go. I didn't have anything special to pray for or have some amazing experience, I just went and kissed it and left.

I've had far enough hyping up to get spiritually "stoked" in my Evangelical teenage years, so I've learned to not place too much emphasis on doing things a certain way or feeling a certain way. I say just go and pray, and if nothing comes to mind, then simply ask her to pray for you. She knows what you need.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »

I asked her to help me conquer certain passions and I asked her to protect my family from spiritual and physical harm.  Personally, if I were you, I'd bring one of my favorite Icons of the Mother of God and a chotki, if you use one, and touch them to the holy Icon.  I suppose some would see that as silly, but I don't know...just some thoughts.  Smiley

Oh, another thing.  When I saw the Icon for the first time I was so excited that I just stared at the Icon without really praying and I was focusing on all the things the people were doing and what the priests were doing, and I had absolutely zero inner stillness due to all the people in the church.  A lot was going on!  I quickly regretted it.  The icon left and I realized that almost none of my attention was focused on Our Lady.  There are so many things that distract us from God and I personally believe the devil was satisfied in that he was able to take my focus off of God.  Be intentional when you get there and don't get all wrapped up in the excitement.  You are there to receive grace from our Holy Mother. 

I'm excited for you!!!! Smiley
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:36:42 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Tags: icons prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: