OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 11:17:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liquid fast  (Read 507 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« on: November 08, 2010, 10:41:11 AM »

Anyone ever done one?  I'm planning on doing a small week-long one at the beginning of the (new calendar) Fast next week to help get me in the mood and shrink my stomach somewhat.  My sustenance will consist mostly of vegetable broth with a some fruit smoothies to balance things out.  I've been reading about them but most of the material is either from "spiritual not religious" people or just plain atheist. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
dattaswami
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 01:37:43 AM »

Anyone ever done one?  I'm planning on doing a small week-long one at the beginning of the (new calendar) Fast next week to help get me in the mood and shrink my stomach somewhat.  My sustenance will consist mostly of vegetable broth with a some fruit smoothies to balance things out.  I've been reading about them but most of the material is either from "spiritual not religious" people or just plain atheist. 

Upavasa (Fasting) means forgetting food, when you are immersed in God. (Upa = Near God, Vasa = Immersed). But today people are fasting by force, suffering with hunger. This is not Upavasa. When you do such fasting, Yogi Vemana says ‘Kuudu Vidachi Malamu Kudchura Upavasai’. This means a little excretory matter is left over in the digestive system after motion. When you fast the digestive system assimilates this little excretory matter. So on that fasting day, one has eaten the excretory matter instead of food! Similarly if you do not get sleep due to thinking of God, that is ‘Jagaranam’ (Not sleeping in the night. But people are stopping their sleep by force.

There should not be force to stop eating or sleeping. If they are stopped without force, automatically due to immersion in God and then only ‘Upavasa’ and ‘Jagaranam’ are fruitful. Aspiring some benefit, people are doing Upavasa and Jagaranam by force. Such acts are waste and useless. The right knowledge is necessary in any religious deed.

Without devotion to God, the detachment from world is false and meaningless. The detachment from the world should be always with reference to the attachment to God. The Vairagya is always relative with reference to the devotion and is not an absolute concept. The absolute concept is only devotion. You should not give importance to people seeing their detachment but should give value for their attachment to God. Foolish people give value to the detachment even though the attachment to God is absent.

You are giving value to a person who is fasting and you are considering him as devotee. He may be fasting due to stomach ache. If he is fasting due to devotion on God, such fasting is valid. If the devotee forgets food in the memory of God, such fasting is real. But, people are fasting by taking alternative tiffins which are more qualitative and energetic having more taste than ordinary food! Therefore, Datta is not cutting your worldly bonds.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 01:53:12 AM »

mispost.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:57:46 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 02:41:10 AM »

There ya go, Schultz--dattaswami knows all.

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 05:07:51 AM »

The problem with a juice/broth fast is that you lack the fat component. You should look into snacking on some raw almonds and see if you can make a smoothie and add some flax seed oil as well. If you shock your system too hard it will make you pretty sick. It is known in the nutritional world as "detoxing" in any case it is highly uncomfortable to downright dangerous. Ease into a liquid fast, don't just start overnight. If you don't ease in and out of that type of fast you will end up weighing MORE than you started weighing and lose some of your health too.

If you make the broth yourself from scratch that will up the nutrient level a great deal. Just make sure to include a variety of veggies. Miso would be a good addition too. A cabbage and miso soup would be great actually.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »

Kinda TMI there, dattaspammi, but hey, very informative nonetheless. Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: