Author Topic: Lazarus and Dives: Parable or Not?  (Read 381 times)

Offline DavidH

• High Elder
    • Signature Landscape Designs
Lazarus and Dives: Parable or Not?
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
Is this story in the Gospels traditionally considered a parable or an actual glimpse into the afterlife? I guess the shortest way to answer this would be: is the poor man Lazarus venerated as a saint in the Orthodox Church? I know that he was in the medieval Latin church but what about in the East?

Offline Rufus

• OC.net guru
  • Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.
Re: Lazarus and Dives: Parable or Not?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 11:03:29 PM »
Is this story in the Gospels traditionally considered a parable or an actual glimpse into the afterlife? I guess the shortest way to answer this would be: is the poor man Lazarus venerated as a saint in the Orthodox Church? I know that he was in the medieval Latin church but what about in the East?

It's definitely read as just a parable by the Fathers, although it obviously includes a view of the intermediate state. The Fathers generally read it as a parable about the Jews and the gentiles (which makes perfect sense in context). Lazarus is not considered to be a historical person by anyone I know of.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
Re: Lazarus and Dives: Parable or Not?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:51:12 AM »

It's definitely read as just a parable by the Fathers, although it obviously includes a view of the intermediate state. The Fathers generally read it as a parable about the Jews and the gentiles (which makes perfect sense in context). Lazarus is not considered to be a historical person by anyone I know of.

This is good to know.