OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 06:21:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the RCC and EOC really close to reunification?  (Read 5205 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2010, 08:42:19 PM »

Of course you haven't divided the Body. No heresy ever has.

Dear Brother Catholic,

There are no heresies taught by my Church.

Which ecclesiastical organization would that be?

None.  So I agree with you fully.

If that were true, you would be under the omophorion of a bishop in the Orthodox diptychs of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. Since you are not, that cannot be true.

In fact the worst of the heresies that we were required to struggle with over the centuries came to us full blown from the east.
Ultramontanism came like a blow hard hurricane strength, with swords, from the West. As for those which came from the East, like Arianism, we didn't have to struggle with them for centuries (Arianism was dead in the East in 381, killed by St. Athanasius, who came from the East, and the Fathers who wrote the Creed, nearly exclusively a project of the East) as they died out within a century (Nestorianism being a rare exception, and it had to go far East to survive), whereas they found fertile ground to florish in the West (living on in the far West of Spain, homeland of the filioque, another heresy).

Christianity came from the East, founded in Jerusalem, not Rome, revealed in Greek and Aramaic, not Latin.
Yawn

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2010, 08:43:08 PM »

Dear Brother Catholic,

If that were true, you would be under the omophorion of a bishop in the Orthodox diptychs of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. Since you are not, that cannot be true.

In fact the worst of the heresies that we were required to struggle with over the centuries came to us full blown from the east.
Ultramontanism came like a blow hard hurricane strength, with swords, from the West. As for those which came from the East, like Arianism, we didn't have to struggle with them for centuries (Arianism was dead in the East in 381, killed by St. Athanasius, who came from the East, and the Fathers who wrote the Creed, nearly exclusively a project of the East) as they died out within a century (Nestorianism being a rare exception, and it had to go far East to survive), whereas they found fertile ground to florish in the West (living on in the far West of Spain, homeland of the filioque, another heresy).

Christianity came from the East, founded in Jerusalem, not Rome, revealed in Greek and Aramaic, not Latin.
Yawn
You need your sleep again.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2010, 08:43:45 PM »

Dear Brother Catholic,

Yawn
Once again you are putting me to sleep.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »

Dear Brother Catholic,

One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church

What are you going to do when Orthodoxy resumes communion with the Catholic Church and not much at all changes for either confession?

Where will you go then?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:58:58 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 09:02:07 PM »

Dear Brother Catholic,

Yawn
Once again you are putting me to sleep.
Since you were dreaming, it was only appropriate.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 09:07:56 PM »

Dear Brother Catholic,

Who is the Orthodox bishop of that Church under whose omophorion you are?

What are you going to do when Orthodoxy resumes communion with the Catholic Church

Orthodoxy is the communion of the Catholic Church, hence your question

and not much at all changes for either confession?

lacks both sense and reality.

Where will you go then?
I won't be the one going over to heresy. Nach Canossa gehen wir nicht.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 09:11:29 PM »

Archbishop Michael J. Sheehan of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe (The Holy Faith).

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2010, 09:36:11 PM »

You sure would if you were to reject any resumption of communion based upon your arrogation of the right to declare personally what is and what is not "the faith."

M

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2010, 09:59:30 PM »

What are you going to do when Orthodoxy resumes communion with the Catholic Church and not much at all changes for either confession?

Where will you go then?

This would only happen when the Roman Catholic Church realizes it's errors, and decides to completely adhere to and join the Orthodox Faith and her dogmas and canons and Tradition and....   Wink

When that happens it will be a moot point where ialmisry will go.  He will remain in the True Church of Christ which will never change and will always remain the One Catholic and Apostolic Church aka Orthodox.

Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2010, 10:02:04 PM »

Struck from the Orthoodx diptychs for heresy in 1009-1014.

I'd going into his "pro-choice" ennabling, but that would be politics.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2010, 10:04:39 PM »

You sure would if you were to reject any resumption of communion based upon your arrogation of the right to declare personally what is and what is not "the faith."

When that happens, I'll worry about it. In the meantime, I'm not the one arrogating the right to declare personlly what is and what is not "the Faith."

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »

Ah, another productive and insight-laden Orthodox-Catholic thread.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »

Cheesy

WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2010, 12:11:24 AM »

May God grant him many years . . .

Of retirement as soon as possible.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2010, 04:40:31 PM »

I have heard a lot of talk about such things during my time on this forum, but I personally have not seen nor heard anything which really makes me think it is so. I am interested, however, what everyone else thinks concerning this topic and why they think as they do.

It is possible that a minority of highly ecumenist individuals may reunite with Rome as had happened at Florence, but with respect to the EO communion overall, reunification is very far off.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »

To me, on the various religious forums I've perused, it generally seems as if the Catholics are more optimistic about the "closeness" of a reunification than the Orthodox are, who seem more cautious.

Indeed. This is very true.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2010, 04:43:43 PM »

To me, on the various religious forums I've perused, it generally seems as if the Catholics are more optimistic about the "closeness" of a reunification than the Orthodox are, who seem more cautious.

I think that part of this may be due to the fact that most Catholics are not all that well aquianted with the issues that separate us from EOs or from OOs.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2010, 04:46:43 PM »

What about the lifting of the excommunications in 1964 by the Pope and the Patriarch of Constantinople? 

That was quite a mistake.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »

We have a Vatican document that says that we are both wounded by schism,

*facepalm*

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »

What about the lifting of the excommunications in 1964 by the Pope and the Patriarch of Constantinople? 

Symbolic.  It has been too long that we've been out of communion to simply turn things around that fast.  The dialogue must occur.

Ironic that you use that language, as what those anathemas had come to symbolize has not changed.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2010, 04:53:12 PM »

/\  Most of the things quoted are things which were said by Oriental Orthodox bishops

Ugh. Thanks for reminding me how insufferably ecumenist our hierarchs are.  Sad

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2010, 04:54:45 PM »

/\  Most of the things quoted are things which were said by Oriental Orthodox bishops

It's rough being more Orthodox than the Pope... Shenouda that is.  Cheesy

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »

Dear Brother Catholic,

Where will you go then?

There will be, without a doubt, groups formed rejecting the reunion, which he would most likely join, as they would the the logical conclusion of the remnant of the Catholic Church.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2010, 04:57:58 PM »

laugh laugh laugh

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2010, 04:58:43 PM »

I think that part of this may be due to the fact that most Catholics are not all that well aquianted with the issues that separate us from EOs or from OOs.

Sure.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2010, 04:59:26 PM »

Sure.
Surely

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »

Indeed it is.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2010, 05:00:39 PM »

Indeed it is.
BTW, you signature is a fantastic foundation for dialogue.  Grin

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »

Indeed it is.

I put it because I would rather not use these honorifics but the mods practically force me to do so, and as such I must indicate that doing so has not changed my views about heterodox Sacraments.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »

Indeed it is.

I put it because I would rather not use these honorifics but the mods practically force me to do so, and as such I must indicate that doing so has not changed my views about heterodox Sacraments.

So you care more about "being right", than you do about mutual respect.

Gotcha.

I'm going to need this.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2010, 05:24:50 PM »

Indeed it is.

Gotcha.

They're not mutually exclusive realities. I cannot give ultimate respect to a person while avoiding speaking the truth to them.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2010, 05:26:53 PM »

Indeed it is.

Gotcha.

They're not mutually exclusive realities. I cannot give ultimate respect to a person while avoiding speaking the truth to them.

No one asked you to accept their sacraments. You're only asked to be respectful.

I'm going to need this.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2010, 05:34:01 PM »

I cannot give ultimate respect to a person while avoiding speaking the truth to them.
You can speak the truth in love, though.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:34:11 PM by Papist » Logged

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2010, 05:38:01 PM »

I cannot give ultimate respect to a person while avoiding speaking the truth to them.

Is that wrong?  Cheesy

I'm going to need this.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »

Is that wrong?  Cheesy
awww. For some reason the computer I am on won't let me see the pic. Sad

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2010, 05:43:08 PM »

Is that wrong?  Cheesy
Darn...

(It's the Pope and some bishops doing the robot)

I'm going to need this.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2010, 05:45:05 PM »

Is that wrong?  Cheesy
Darn...

(It's the Pope and some bishops doing the robot)
Awesome!!! I'll see em when I get home tonight.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2010, 05:57:32 PM »

Indeed it is.

Gotcha.

No one asked you to accept their sacraments. You're only asked to be respectful.

Referring to a priest as Father in a totally unqualified manner seems to give the illusion that I recognize them as having Holy Orders. So I have chosen to not do so in a totally unqualified manner.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »

Precisely what I am aiming for. What of what I have said is unloving?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2010, 05:58:57 PM »

Indeed it is.

Gotcha.

Referring to a priest as Father in a totally unqualified manner seems to give the illusion that I recognize them as having Holy Orders. So I have chosen to not do so in a totally unqualified manner.
I used to be aquinted with an Anglican Priest. I call him Father, out of respect, but he knew fully well that my Communion did not recognize Anglican orders.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2010, 05:59:27 PM »

Precisely what I am aiming for. What of what I have said is unloving?
There is a difference between wanting to be "right", and wanting to be truely Orthodox. The difference is in attitude and approach.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:00:07 PM by Papist » Logged

dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2010, 02:29:32 AM »

Indeed it is.

Gotcha.

I used to be aquinted with an Anglican Priest. I call him Father, out of respect, but he knew fully well that my Communion did not recognize Anglican orders.

Like wise I would still call an RC priest Father (or even an OO priest) because that is the title they hold within their organization...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2010, 03:18:35 AM »

I think this pretty much sums up the EO - RC reunification efforts:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:18:56 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »

I'm actually one of the few RCs that wholeheartedly agrees with that statement, which is odd because most in my Church are more optimistic than that.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: