OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:30:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And the 2010 Athenagoras Human Rights Award Goes To.....  (Read 880 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: November 07, 2010, 03:20:57 AM »

Drum Roll Please....

His Eminence, Theodore Cardinal McCarick, Archbishop Emeritus of Washington, DC

Applause....  and Pictures

observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »

Fox news rep....hmmm...very inter-e-s-t-i-n-g, jawohl!

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »

The 2013 Athenagoras Human Rights Award went to the CBS show 60 Minutes for their story on Mt. Athos and the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

http://www.archons.org/news/detail.asp?id=691
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 10:16:06 PM »

This was a very good idea; both features were well done.  Hopefully, CBS will do more to promote information about the 2nd largest Christian faith, not-with-standing its minuscule American membership.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »

are we in medival times again with those millions of pointless byzantine titles??

and named "Athenagoras human rights award"? Lol?

how about name it after a saint it would mean a little more then at least (I doubt they named it after the actual saint athenagoras ((there is one right? I swear I remember there being one way way way way way long time ago...)

and wow it does not look very nice. i mean you can't even wear it pretending to be of noble house like all the other church awards! it isn't a napoleonic era style award!!!

(and one award went to "ALL the Greek Orthodox Clergy"? lol

weird award

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »

It is NOT a "weird award."

It is an award presented by the Archons of the Patriarchal Order of St George. "In 1986 the National Council of the Order of St. Andrew/Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in America established The Athenagoras Human Rights Award. The Award is presented every year at the Annual Banquet of the Order to a person or organization, which has consistently exemplified by action, purpose and dedication, concern for the basic rights and religious freedom of all people."    http://www.archons.org/athenagorasaward/

Award winners have been a diverse group. Some are rather parochial in terms of the Archon' s Hellenistic orientation, but others have range from American Presidents George H. W. Bush, Jimmy Carter, former Soviet President Gorbachev, Archbishop Tutu, Mother Teresa and Elie Weisel.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 01:23:45 AM »

are we in medival times again with those millions of pointless byzantine titles??

how about name it after a saint it would mean a little more then at least (I doubt they named it after the actual saint athenagoras ((there is one right? I swear I remember there being one way way way way way long time ago...)

and wow it does not look very nice. i mean you can't even wear it pretending to be of noble house like all the other church awards! it isn't a napoleonic era style award!!!

weird award

Jealous are you?

"...way, way, way, way, way, long time ago?"  Like maybe 67+ years after the church was founded, is there something wrong with that?  St. Athenagoras of Athens was a Church Father who wrote during the first half of the second century.

The Order of St. Andrew, the Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, named their prestigious award after the 268th successor of St. Andrew the First Called Apostle, Athenagoras, "Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome; and Ecumenical Patriarch," who had previously served as the 2nd Archbishop of America, the Primate of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North & South America, from 1930 to 1948.

Why not name this prestigious award after one among a very few of the most accomplished Eastern Orthodox Christian hierarchs of the 20th century, a man of great humility, who lived the life of a monastic, who fasted, prayed, lit candles in the Patriarchal Church of St. George and prayed therein, alone, in the earliest of hours of the morning, and lived in a humble cell within the Phanar, while he served the hierarchical position of highest honor in the Eastern Orthodox Church, its "First Among Equals?"  Even the bed he slept in could not accommodate his 6' 5" height. As to his regimen of strict adherence of the church's fasting discipline, when he was ailing, his cell attendant would beg him to at least drink a glass of milk, to whom he would respond, "If the people do not keep the fast, I must do so for them." The Patriarch's nephew, a priest of the Holy Archdiocese of America, upon his passing from this life, asked the executors of his will if they would give him His All Holiness' well worn overcoat.  Denying the request, one of the Executors responded, "If anyone sees that coat, they'll think it was the property of a beggar."

After graduating from the famed Theological School of Halki, he served as the Secretary of the Diocese of Pelagonia, then a year in prayer and contemplation on the Holy Mountain, after which as Secretary to the Archbishop of Athens of the Church of Greece, and as Metropolitan of Kyrkera (Corfu), who in that capacity, during a bombardment of the island, got into a small boat and rowed out alone to the attacking Italians, asking them to take him, rather than the innocent people of the island. Thereupon, the bombardment ceased.

He transferred to the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to be elected the Archbishop of America in 1930.  He was enthroned in early 1931 and worked to unite the very divided Greek-American community, personally mediating local disputes and reuniting communities.  He was largely successful in that regard, and he facilitated the reuniting of the Carpatho-Russian Christians and Ukrainian Orthodox who were without a canonical ecclesial jurisdiction, into Holy Orthodoxy within the loving embrace of the venerable Ecumenical Patriarchate. He established the major institutions that continue to serve the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology--he invited Metropolitan Theophilos of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Metropolia to join him in this venture, hoping to make it a pan-Orthodox institution; the Philoptohos Society, the church's benevolence arm; and the Academy of St. Basil, an orphanage that also housed the Teachers Training Institute, to serve the parishes.  Ten years after his enthronement, he proposed to the Clergy-Laity Congress, the establishment of the first formal funding stream for the Holy Archdiocese, the "Monodolarion," a program that required parishes to contribute $1.00 per each member annually to the Archdiocese.  Later in his tenure, the Archdiocesan Headquarters at 10 East 79th Street, between 5th and Madison Avenues in Manhattan, was procured and continues to serve as the church headquarters, (which was expanded in 1970.)    

When he was elected Ecumenical Patriarch, United States President Harry Truman lent him the "Sacred Cow," one of the Presidential aircraft for his trip to Istanbul, while his picture was on the cover of "Time" magazine.  He worked to reestablish cooperative relations among the Holy Orthodox Churches, ultimately convening three Pan Orthodox Conferences in the early '60's on the Greek Island of Rhodes.  Based on the decisions of these conferences, he established and coordinated the planning process for the convening of the "Holy and Great Synod (Council) of the Orthodox Church." When the Pope of Rome Paul VI announced his modern day unprecedented pilgrimage to the Holy Shrines in Jerusalem, His All Holiness announced, he would join the Pope in that pilgrimage, stating, "It has been more than 900 years since I have spoken to my brother."  Later, at the same hour in both the Vatican and at the Phanar, Pope Paul and Patriarch Athenagoras presided at ceremonies lifting the Anathemas propounded in 1054 that symbolized the initiation of the Great Schism, and they announced intentions for a "Dialogue of Love" between Roman Catholicism and the Eastern Orthodoxy.  Patriarch Athenagoras also visited Pope Paul on the occasion of the Patronal Feast of the Church of Rome and the Name Day of His Holiness, the Feast Day of Sts. Peter and Paul, the "Chief Apostles."  His Holiness graciously granted Patriarch Athenagoras Papal Apartments for his stay at the Vatican.  His cell attendant noticed that he did not seem himself, and inquired of his mental state; Patriarch Athenagoras responded, "I think we are wealthier in our humble poverty of the Phanar." Patriarch Athenagoras passed from this life in July, 1972, at the age of 86, having served upon the Ecumenical Throne for 24 years, a comparatively long tenure for that position.

It is fitting that the prestigious Patriarch Athenagoras Award of the Order of St. Andrew, Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, named their highest award after this most magnificent, yet humble, "God-chosen" hierarch, who brought order to the Holy Archdiocese of America, and promoted the progress of Holy Orthodoxy Christianity. It is also fitting for the inheritance of the Byzantine spirit, to employ the honorable "Official Positions" of the Byzantine State, an accomplished empire of over an 1,100 year duration, a long very period for an empire in world history.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:55:57 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 02:02:27 AM »

To fill the gaps from 2010 to 2013:

The 2012 Award went to the Stavros Niarchos Foundation
The 2011 Award went to Admiral James G. Stavridis, former (as of now) Supreme Allied Commander Europe (NATO)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 03:13:06 AM »

It looks like something you put in the garden.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 03:51:44 AM »

It is NOT a "weird award."

It is an award presented by the Archons of the Patriarchal Order of St George. "In 1986 the National Council of the Order of St. Andrew/Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in America established The Athenagoras Human Rights Award. The Award is presented every year at the Annual Banquet of the Order to a person or organization, which has consistently exemplified by action, purpose and dedication, concern for the basic rights and religious freedom of all people."    http://www.archons.org/athenagorasaward/

Award winners have been a diverse group. Some are rather parochial in terms of the Archon' s Hellenistic orientation, but others have range from American Presidents George H. W. Bush, Jimmy Carter, former Soviet President Gorbachev, Archbishop Tutu, Mother Teresa and Elie Weisel.

It is a weird award, it is literally half the body of a person. I don't really see the point in honorary awards, does it really change anything for anyone? George senior probably got notified he won the award from the archons and he probably said "Who are they?" and forgot about it the next day. and yes I noticed the people who were awarded the thing, I wanted to learn more about it I wondered if it was a pin, or a button, but I find out it is a weird statue. Seems people have a addiction to statues of athenagoras he is all over the place. Why not make him a saint already, so one can point out those statues are idols.

(i can see it now, someone will link to that russian wood statue of that saint)

When I am talking about all these napoleonic era style awards the church just loves to give out (I see it all the time from JErusalem, they gave the Archbishop of Canterbury probably at least 4 different awards to his chest, probably sitting in a chest at home collecting dust)

All these rewards makes me think of this picture of PAtriarch Diodoros or however it is spelt:

---------------------------------------------

weird award

Jealous are you?

"...way, way, way, way, way, long time ago?"  Like maybe 67+ years after the church was founded, is there something wrong with that?  St. Athenagoras of Athens was a Church Father who wrote during the first half of the second century.

The Order of St. Andrew, the Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, named their prestigious award after the 268th successor of St. Andrew the First Called Apostle, Athenagoras, "Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome; and Ecumenical Patriarch," who had previously served as the 2nd Archbishop of America, the Primate of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North & South America, from 1930 to 1948.

Why not name this prestigious award after one among a very few of the most accomplished Eastern Orthodox Christian hierarchs of the 20th century, a man of great humility, who lived the life of a monastic, who fasted, prayed, lit candles in the Patriarchal Church of St. George and prayed therein, alone, in the earliest of hours of the morning, and lived in a humble cell within the Phanar, while he served the hierarchical position of highest honor in the Eastern Orthodox Church, its "First Among Equals?"  Even the bed he slept in could not accommodate his 6' 5" height. As to his regimen of strict adherence of the church's fasting discipline, when he was ailing, his cell attendant would beg him to at least drink a glass of milk, to whom he would respond, "If the people do not keep the fast, I must do so for them." The Patriarch's nephew, a priest of the Holy Archdiocese of America, upon his passing from this life, asked the executors of his will if they would give him His All Holiness' well worn overcoat.  Denying the request, one of the Executors responded, "If anyone sees that coat, they'll think it was the property of a beggar."

After graduating from the famed Theological School of Halki, he served as the Secretary of the Diocese of Pelagonia, then a year in prayer and contemplation on the Holy Mountain, after which as Secretary to the Archbishop of Athens of the Church of Greece, and as Metropolitan of Kyrkera (Corfu), who in that capacity, during a bombardment of the island, got into a small boat and rowed out alone to the attacking Italians, asking them to take him, rather than the innocent people of the island. Thereupon, the bombardment ceased.

He transferred to the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to be elected the Archbishop of America in 1930.  He was enthroned in early 1931 and worked to unite the very divided Greek-American community, personally mediating local disputes and reuniting communities.  He was largely successful in that regard, and he facilitated the reuniting of the Carpatho-Russian Christians and Ukrainian Orthodox who were without a canonical ecclesial jurisdiction, into Holy Orthodoxy within the loving embrace of the venerable Ecumenical Patriarchate. He established the major institutions that continue to serve the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology--he invited Metropolitan Theophilos of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Metropolia to join him in this venture, hoping to make it a pan-Orthodox institution; the Philoptohos Society, the church's benevolence arm; and the Academy of St. Basil, an orphanage that also housed the Teachers Training Institute, to serve the parishes.  Ten years after his enthronement, he proposed to the Clergy-Laity Congress, the establishment of the first formal funding stream for the Holy Archdiocese, the "Monodolarion," a program that required parishes to contribute $1.00 per each member annually to the Archdiocese.  Later in his tenure, the Archdiocesan Headquarters at 10 East 79th Street, between 5th and Madison Avenues in Manhattan, was procured and continues to serve as the church headquarters, (which was expanded in 1970.)    

When he was elected Ecumenical Patriarch, United States President Harry Truman lent him the "Sacred Cow," one of the Presidential aircraft for his trip to Istanbul, while his picture was on the cover of "Time" magazine.  He worked to reestablish cooperative relations among the Holy Orthodox Churches, ultimately convening three Pan Orthodox Conferences in the early '60's on the Greek Island of Rhodes.  Based on the decisions of these conferences, he established and coordinated the planning process for the convening of the "Holy and Great Synod (Council) of the Orthodox Church." When the Pope of Rome Paul VI announced his modern day unprecedented pilgrimage to the Holy Shrines in Jerusalem, His All Holiness announced, he would join the Pope in that pilgrimage, stating, "It has been more than 900 years since I have spoken to my brother."  Later, at the same hour in both the Vatican and at the Phanar, Pope Paul and Patriarch Athenagoras presided at ceremonies lifting the Anathemas propounded in 1054 that symbolized the initiation of the Great Schism, and they announced intentions for a "Dialogue of Love" between Roman Catholicism and the Eastern Orthodoxy.  Patriarch Athenagoras also visited Pope Paul on the occasion of the Patronal Feast of the Church of Rome and the Name Day of His Holiness, the Feast Day of Sts. Peter and Paul, the "Chief Apostles."  His Holiness graciously granted Patriarch Athenagoras Papal Apartments for his stay at the Vatican.  His cell attendant noticed that he did not seem himself, and inquired of his mental state; Patriarch Athenagoras responded, "I think we are wealthier in our humble poverty of the Phanar." Patriarch Athenagoras passed from this life in July, 1972, at the age of 86, having served upon the Ecumenical Throne for 24 years, a comparatively long tenure for that position.

It is fitting that the prestigious Patriarch Athenagoras Award of the Order of St. Andrew, Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, named their highest award after this most magnificent, yet humble, "God-chosen" hierarch, who brought order to the Holy Archdiocese of America, and promoted the progress of Holy Orthodoxy Christianity. It is also fitting for the inheritance of the Byzantine spirit, to employ the honorable "Official Positions" of the Byzantine State, an accomplished empire of over an 1,100 year duration, a long very period for an empire in world history.

not jealous at all, it is kind of creepy looking.

and yes I think it is weird to name an award after a non saint from a church. All it is is my opinion. It does not really matter how "Great" Patriarch Athenagoras "the Great" was, I still think there are better saint candidates for the title of the award.

Yes, I have heard all the kind words for Patriarch Athenagoras many times, but as always there are also some not so great words for the same name. You can say he was one "who brought order to the Holy Archdiocese of America, and promoted the progress of Holy Orthodoxy Christianity". But at the same time, one can also say he brought DISorder to not only the Church of Greece but also brought harm often when he tried to do something which was "good". Why? He obviously brought disorder when he lifted the anathemas, which caused anxiety in ROCOR and in Greece and still causes anguish. His beginning of ecumenist thought in the patriarchate of constantinople had not brought much good in the end and even ecumenists must admit it, we are really not getting any closer to union and the only thing that has happened are more schisms. I personally don't see how it is good to cause schisms in a vain attempt to mend yet a different schism which is likely impossible to mend. these newer harmful schisms didn't need to happen and Patriarch Athenagoras provided a catalyst whether he knew it or not to strengthen these schisms. that is my opinion. I will never think of Patriarch Athenagoras as highly as you might or these archons because of things like this, and various scandalous things Patriarch Athenagoras has spoken. I do not really care if he acted humble when in bed, he was not humble when he ignored the holy fathers and bishops before him and broke their canons willingly, that is not something a truly humble bishop does.

i'm not going to go on and on about why I don't believe Patriarch Athenagoras deserve the so often "The Great" after his name, since I have probably said it many times before. but he was no theologian he himself admitted, and he took actions, as he said, without thinking about the theological implications of his actions "Let the theologians fight the rest out afterward" . this included his ecumenist actions which caused terrible injury still not healed nor even being attempted to heal today. Instead, the wound is getting worse in order still in vain attempt at a union with another schismatic group the catholics.

I think at least it is clear that there are easily many saints to choose from which did much more good to the church and much less harm.

Finally, as much as I admire the Roman Empire, there is a reason the Theotokos stopped protecting its walls and the entire empire destroyed. I think the Byzantines must have did something terrible if God allowed the entire empire to be conquered, yet again to allow even worse to happen: 
"the heathen have come into your inheritance, they have defiled your holy temple, O Lord."
So one asks, is his anger over? I am not sure, Greece is in pretty bad shape. don't know what this has to do with the athenagoras human rights award though, so maybe I should have never brought it up! As always  Grin

and finally before I forget,

sorry it is a habit to not capitalize letters at the start of sentences with a keyboard. I guess i never saw the point, we used to write like this too:

IDIDNOTSEEANYTHINGTO
FIXFORSPELLINGINMYFIR
STPOSTBESIDESTOCAPIT
ALIZENAPOLEONICSORRY

or something like that.

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 04:12:11 AM »

It looks like something you put in the garden.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 10:41:50 AM »

Medication, anyone?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »

Medication, anyone?

With all due respect to EP, GOA, His Holiness, Archons, this award, and people who have been awarded the statue itself is ugly. Looks like Orthodox can't make nicely looking statues.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »

I was privileged to have met Patriarch Athenagoras in Istanbul. In one instance, he visited our Bulgarian community. When out Parish Council President started his welcoming speech in Turkish (there was no possibility that he would do so in Greek), he interrupted him and said " why don't you use your beautiful mother tongue--meaning Bulgarian." He knew Bulgarian (among many other languages) as his first assignment was to be in charge of schools in the city of Monastir (Bitola) in what is today the Republic of Macedonia. In those days, Greeks were city dwellers, while the Bulgarians lived in the surrounding villages (same as when Saints Cyrill and Methodios were growing up in Salonika). He was called the Patriarch of love and I think that all who met him loved him back. I would say that is going to be his legacy and that is good enough for the award to be named after him.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 11:59:28 AM »

The Award is a bust of the 268th Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, colored, depicting him with his episcopal crown and his stole.  It is beautiful, not "ugly."

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »

The Award is a bust of the 268th Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, colored, depicting him with his episcopal crown and his stole.  It is beautiful, not "ugly."

We have different sense of beauty.

It doesn't matter what it depicts. It matters how.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 12:12:26 PM »

The Award is a bust of the 268th Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, colored, depicting him with his episcopal crown and his stole.  It is beautiful, not "ugly."

We have different sense of beauty.

It doesn't matter what it depicts. It matters how.

I'm going to have to side with Michal on this one.  I don't know if I'd call the bust "ugly", but it certainly doesn't look worthy of the award (or the hierarch) it represents.  The comparison to garden gnomes, IMO, wasn't far off. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »

The Award is a bust of the 268th Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, colored, depicting him with his episcopal crown and his stole.  It is beautiful, not "ugly."

From the looks of it, is appears to be a special design manufactured by the American manufacturer of fine china - Lenox, located for generations in western Pennsylvania and purveyors of China designs for American presidents dating back to 1918. I suspect that our UK and European friends would take issue with our American style, but it is hardly incoherent or unfamiliar to American eyes for an award given by an elite group of mostly wealthy and politically connected Orthodox Christian Americans who serve the Church to give out an award named after the first important ruling hierarch of the Greek Archdiocese and one who was an American citizen when elected to the Patriarchal Throne in 1948. (He had to renounce said citizenship as a condition to accepting the election.)

That being said, my wife has a box of Lenox holiday ornaments accumulated over the years from stopping at Lenox outlet stores which appear to be similar in design to the bust. (Angels, Santas, elves....) I probably would have gone for a more elegantly classic look myself, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:14:31 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: