OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 06:17:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patron Saint  (Read 1435 times) Average Rating: 0
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« on: November 06, 2010, 03:26:09 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

My priest told me that I had to choose a patron Saint prior to my Chrismation. While I already have a few in mind I also feel I should consider  St. David(since David is my name)
Th only St. David that I know of is St. David of Wales but I can't seem to find any information on him does anyone know anything about him?

Thanks,

David 

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »

There is always Wikipedia and New Advent I suppose. Also, fwiw, couldn't you also choose the name of King David from the Bible, who is also a glorified saint in Orthodoxy?
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 03:33:34 PM »

I was wondering about that! I wasn't sure if King David was considered a Saint in that sense.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 03:38:25 PM »

Two other St. Davids off the top of my head:

St. David the Builder (great Georgian king who unified Georgia, drove the Muslim forces out, and helped usher in Georgia's "golden age");

St. David the Stylite (unlike other stylites who lived in pillars, he lived in a tree)

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 03:46:40 PM »

For St David of Wales, here is the Menaion for his feast day (March 1): http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/servdavi.htm

And a short Life of St David here: http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/isles.htm
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 04:19:53 PM »

A brief life of Saint David of Wales, with links to his icons

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints/message/3733

The Vigil Service to Saint David

http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/servdavi.htm
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:19:56 PM »

Thank you Father!

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 12:52:07 PM »

wow, this is indeed a tough choice!  pray hard about it.  it took me a long time and I went through about 7 saints before making my choice.

here is some advice I bed you to heed:  DON'T pick your saint according to his name.  I have a friend who picked her saint because the name sounded really regal, and she doesn't know one thing about her! 

personally, I disliked the name "Tikhon".  But I love St. Tikhon of Moscow and all he did for the Church.  I have grown to love my "Christian name".

choose the saint for who they were and what they did, not how their name sounds!!!!

good luck  Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 01:53:27 PM »

wow, this is indeed a tough choice!  pray hard about it.  it took me a long time and I went through about 7 saints before making my choice.

here is some advice I bed you to heed:  DON'T pick your saint according to his name.  I have a friend who picked her saint because the name sounded really regal, and she doesn't know one thing about her! 

personally, I disliked the name "Tikhon".  But I love St. Tikhon of Moscow and all he did for the Church.  I have grown to love my "Christian name".

choose the saint for who they were and what they did, not how their name sounds!!!!

good luck  Wink

For what it is worth, in the Old World and in the early immigrant Church in America, I think that it was common to see the same Saints honored with frequency.

I fondly remember on the All Soul's Saturdays or at Baptisms as an altar boy remarking how many people were named John, Joseph, Mary, Anna, George, Michael, Suzanna, Elizabeth, Helen, Vasil and so on. Whenever an 'odd' name (I recall 'Metro' who I later learned was not named after the subway, but a shortening of Dimitry!)  was given or remembered we would giggle. At least one child in a family would named after a national patron, i.e. Nicholas for the Greeks, Vladimir for Ukrainians etc... Another common name choice was based upon the village parish's patron. In my paternal grandfather's case the village church was dedicated to SS. Cosmos and Damian. Hence, he was Damian (thankfully not Cosmo! - just kidding- )  My mother in law was given the name of Paraska ( St. Paraskevia) after the village church in Europe.  Interestingly, Damian became known as "James' in America and Paraska was dubbed 'Peg' by her first grade teacher which morphed over the years into Marge. Another was the patron of the family's profession, such as a herder of animals using the name George.

There are indeed many reasons and many choices. Think hard and pray often for it is a once in lifetime choice. I would urge that you not pick based upon obscurity or  sound or solely based upon a particular ascetic's life style, but rather upon how you are guided through the  process of becoming Orthodox and whose life or writings have truly influenced you upon the journey or whose life you might wish to emulate.

Perhaps I am getting old, but it seems to me that too many new parents choose exotic names for their children in order to be fashionable or appear overly pious. It is a tough decision indeed.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 04:57:04 PM »

Perhaps I am getting old, but it seems to me that too many new parents choose exotic names for their children in order to be fashionable or appear overly pious. It is a tough decision indeed.

I agree that it's a danger, though it's also possible that parents just like unique names (which was the case with both our children, Athanasia and Sahara... though we got a good deal of grief given to us over the first one).
Tags: Patron saint 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: