OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 10:08:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox House Chapel  (Read 1886 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: November 06, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »

Just curious about the concept of a lay person making a house chapel, whether as part of a house or in a seperate building on your land. What exactly is the purpose of this? Is it just like a larger version of a prayer corner? Is it supposed to be a half way point between a Church and a prayer corner? Is it supposed to be set up so that church services could be performed there by a priest (e.g. if perhaps a mission began to develop through people you knew attending)?

Large Marge sent me...
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »

I don't know the rules and regulations....but, wouldn't it be nice to have such a place to escape to?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 11:12:05 PM »

Just curious about the concept of a lay person making a house chapel, whether as part of a house or in a seperate building on your land. What exactly is the purpose of this? Is it just like a larger version of a prayer corner? Is it supposed to be a half way point between a Church and a prayer corner? Is it supposed to be set up so that church services could be performed there by a priest (e.g. if perhaps a mission began to develop through people you knew attending)?

It could be any number of those.  Often times an Ikon corner is a part of a room that is used for some other purpose.  I have always wanted a room (or building) that I could use only for worship and study without any distraction.  A chapel would fulfill this nicely.  It may also give more room for multiple people to pray (such as a family and friends).  And, if you are not near a Church, it could be used for services if you could get a Priest to visit.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:48:23 AM »

ah, it would be wonderful to have a place to go and pray like that, wouldn't it?!  you would probably have to invest a great deal of time and money into it, but it could be done.  do you mean with icons, incense and prayer books, or with a full iconostasis and an altar, the whole shabang'?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 12:01:05 PM »

This was originally posted in this thread.

I dream of building a small chapel attached to my house, to live and pray as an old hermit in my old age.

This is what I would choose, it is the iconostas from the church of the 3 Hierarchs in Paris and the icons are the work of Leonid Ouspensky.

Christ is Risen!

Father bless,

A pious member of our parish, many years ago, began to build a small chapel in the garage attached to her house. She was a mother of ten children, so I guess she needed a lot of prayer.  Wink  laugh

Anyway, the chapel grew, an iconostas was built, and the woman piously worshiped there on days when she could not make it to church. Upon the woman's death, the chapel and house were sold to an Antiochian Orthodox mission, and now serves as the parish to a small congregation. (The house was turned into their parish hall.)

So out of one woman's piety, an entire community was built.  Grin

I pray that God makes your dream come true someday, and that it may not only serve you, but all who want to serve Christ and His Church!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 12:02:59 PM »

Here is the parish that grew out of one woman's piety:

http://www.ststephenchurch.net/

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 08:37:08 PM »

I don't know the rules and regulations....but, wouldn't it be nice to have such a place to escape to?

Definitely.    angel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: