OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 10:32:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Origin of Evil  (Read 435 times) Average Rating: 0
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« on: November 06, 2010, 01:02:12 PM »

A number of fathers say that humanity was responsible for the creation of evil. For example:

"[Man] himself became the inventor of evil; he did not come across it as something already created by God. For God did not make death; it was man who became, so to speak, the originator and creator of evil." - St. Gregory of Nyssa, On Virginity, 12

Yet wasn't Satan evil before man's fall, and didn't Satan introduce evil into the world? In Genesis it says that the serpent was "subtil" or "crafty," (Gen. 3:1) and the serpent tricked Adan and Eve into eating of the tree and therefore disobeying God (Gen. 3:1-7). Wouldn't this bit of trickery mean that Satan was the creator of evil in this world? Also, wouldn't the very fact that Satan was on the earth at that point demonstrate that he had already fallen from his place in heaven, and had therefore introduced pride and evil into God's creation?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:02:27 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 01:56:28 PM »

Great question!  Smiley

This may help a little:

"Although the serpent was cunning, it was only more cunning than the dumb animals that were governed by Adam.  It is not true that because the serpent surpassed the level of animals in cleverness, it was immediately raised up to the level of human rationality.  It was only more clever than those animals that lack reason and was only more crafty than the animals that had no mind.  For it is clear that the serpent, which did not have the mind of man, did not possess the wisdom of mankind.  Adam was also greater than the serpent by the way he was formed, by his soul, by his mind, by his glory and by his place.  Therefore it is evident that in cunning also Adam was infinitely greater than the serpent."  ~ St. Ephrem the Syrian; Commentary on Genesis 2.15.1 Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture Genesis 1:11

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »

Interesting passage, thank you! Smiley

Come Back
Dan-Romania
Moderated

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Ecumenical

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 02:34:43 PM »

Is the serpant in Genesis , Satan?

A half-truth is a lie.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 02:38:52 PM »

I believe so, yes...

"The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him." - Rev. 12:9
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:39:27 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 02:44:09 PM »

I believe so, yes...

"The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him." - Rev. 12:9

Could the word "serpent" be translated as dragon/dinosaur? Just asking

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tags: evil Satan serpent 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: