OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 06:50:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Were Adam and Eve real people?
Yes - 67 (63.2%)
No - 23 (21.7%)
Other (explain) - 16 (15.1%)
Total Voters: 106

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adam and Eve: Historical People? (Poll)  (Read 17394 times) Average Rating: 0
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #225 on: October 09, 2009, 02:59:39 PM »

you're saying you condemn the idea that the body existed before the soul? if evolution is true then the body obviously predates the soul ...  

No, I'm condemning the idea that the soul predates the body.  That's what Origen believed, or accused of believing.

right right, sorry i got mixed up there. however, i know that at least St. Gregory of Nyssa condemns the opposite idea that the body predates the soul.

well in that part St. John is speaking of Origenians -- perhaps Origen himself didn't actually believe it, I don't know. but St. John is talking about the tendency to turn everything in the story into an allegory and deny the literal level of it -- St. John Chrysostom, St. Basil, St. Ephraim, St. Augustine, St. Bede, and others also warn about the same tendency, but here it seems St. John has identified it as an actual heresy.

But the quote is talking about Paradise here.  Frankly, if St. John Damascene has a problem with the Garden of Eden not being taken literally and instead calling it Paradise, his beef is also with St. Athanasius.  In addition, St. Basil is one of the compilers of the Philocalia of Origen.

Yes, I agree over-allegorizing things is a danger, but I thought Paradise is a common tradition of the allegorizing of Garden of Eden in both the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox churches.

i dont know what you mean by Paradise is an allegorizing of the Garden of Eden -- from everything I've read they're synonymous. The entire earth was a sort of Paradise ie incorrupt, but the Garden was a distinct and special place that was Paradise. The Garden remained incorrupt even after man's sin and that is why he is kicked out of it, and for a while man could still see the Garden/Paradise and weep over his sins, but gradually the Garden was taken away, but Saints such as St. Euphrosynos have visited Paradise/the Garden.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #226 on: October 09, 2009, 03:10:33 PM »

The Garden from my understanding wasn't a Garden with trees and grass and leaves and birds chirping.  It portrayed a life that the saints are living right now that Adam lost.  This is what I mean by allegory.  It's not synonymous.

Neither did every father believe the entire Earth was incorrupt.  St. Athanasius left room for belief otherwise, and the only one that/who received the grace of incorruption was man, and they were placed in God's own Paradise.

I think St. Paul also visited Paradise, and he said "man has not seen, ear not heard, nor heart can contemplate" it.

As for the body/soul idea, I honestly don't know.  I don't think evolution can necessarily contradict the idea that the body and soul were formed at the same time.  Evolution does not deal with matters of the soul, it only deals with matters of the flesh.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:13:37 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
AlexanderOfBergamo
High Elder

Faith: Traditionalist Christian
Jurisdiction: The Original First Millennium Church

« Reply #227 on: October 09, 2009, 03:29:20 PM »

... We receive our soul at conception, when our body is literally created (aka formed) out of clay (pre-existing matter). That doesn't contradict a pre-existence of the humankind as a species, but only the pre-existence of the human soul as if it had evolved from an animal soul. Which explains why I believe in a real Adam but don't deny (since I'm not sure) that the kind 'homo' pre-existed to him.

In Christ,   Alex

"Also in the Catholic Church itself we take great care that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and properly Catholic" (St. Vincent of Lérins, "The Commonitory")
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »

I won't vote in the poll so as not to skew the results (not that my single vote would have much of an impact). I'm sure you all can guess what I'd have voted, though. Wink And for the record, I would have voted the same if I were Orthodox.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #229 on: November 06, 2010, 02:47:36 PM »

There's a Christian tradition/legend that Adam was created in such a way that his body and mind were those of a 20-year old.

What if that could be interpreted to mean that the pre-human (or physically, but not spiritually, human) father and mother of Adam gave birth to a child, and this child became fully conscious of God ("God-breathed") at the age of 20?

Is this tradition/legend mentioned in the Church Fathers?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: Adam and Eve creation evolution 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: