OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:29:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Biblical Canons  (Read 894 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« on: November 05, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »

I'm curious as to differences in Biblical canons among the Orthodox not in the Eastern Orthodox communion. I'm aware of the matter of Enoch among the Ethiopian Christians, but are there other differences? Apart from the books that I think we all agree on (Genesis, Luke, etc.) what books are accepted by the following Orthodox groups...?

1. Armenian Christians
2. Syriac Christians
3. Coptic Christians
4. Ethiopian Christians
5. Eritrean Christians
6. Indian Christians

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:47:21 PM »

If you click on the OO Canon of Scripture tag, you'll find other threads on this.  I'm not absolutely sure about everyone's canon, but I think the following may true:

1. The Armenian canon is the same as, or almost the same as, the EO canon.

2. The Coptic canon is the same as the Roman Catholic canon.

3.  The Ethiopians (and I am assuming the Eritreans) have the most expansive canon:

http://www.ethiopianorthodox.org/english/canonical/books.html

4.  The Syriac and Indian Orthodox traditionally use the Peshitta, which I think has a more abbreviated New Testament canon:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,26347.0.html

I think their Old Testament may have at least some of the Deuterocanonicals, although I am not sure which ones.

I would greatly appreciate any clarification by our Syriac Orthodox or Indian Orthodox brothers on this, as it is something I've been curious about myself.

Also, if I've made mistakes with anything else above, someone please correct me.   Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 03:14:23 AM »

Thank you, Salpy! Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 10:43:37 PM »

No problem.   Smiley

Like I said, though, I'd still like input from the other OO's here.  I probably got something wrong, and I am still confused about the Peshitta Old Testament.

Tags: OO Canon of Scripture Canon of scriptures Peshitta 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: