OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:27:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: English Translation of His Holiness' Words  (Read 1028 times) Average Rating: 0
Fortunatus
Son of Antony

Faith: Orthodox

'If thou wilt be perfect...'

« on: March 26, 2004, 01:07:50 PM »

+Peace and grace

Below is Pope Shenouda responding to the questions about what is happening in Egypt right now. Please keep praying for these people and for the situation, as things like this have the tendency to become extremely volatile.

“I have received numerous reports about girls who go to supermarkets and then are told you have gifts and you have won a contest so please come upstairs to receive themGǪwe do not know what happens to them when they go upstairs. There is much talk being circulated, and I perceive that this issue will create a sectarian partition in the country. I urge that police officials take a decisive position because I am getting countless letters in regards to this issue.

And we should not say - bring us names or otherwise - we know that they could have taken them to any place - we don’t know where they are. The issue should not be taken with this triviality and carelessness. I say this, and I am aware of the gravity of the situation. We don’t want any more catastrophes to happen to us, what happened in the past is enough.

This should not be taken lightly.

We find also a number of youngsters who traveled to a certain region with them some Bibles and were arrested. They were imprisoned for 15 days by the district officials for mere reason of their possession of the BiblesGǪ

And these girls that are taken upstairs, we do not know what happens to them.

We are not going to keep silent about this at all!”

Agape,
         Fortunatus
Amen, maranatha!
"A man's life or death cometh from his neighbour; if we benefit our brother we benefit ourselves, and if we offend him we sin against God." - The Great Abba Antony
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 09:01:18 PM »

How terrible and disturbing.  Obviously we will pray for their safety.  Please tell us what other measures can be taken additionaly.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 12:32:16 AM »

Whenever "it" does not make sense, and the pain is overwhelming and the scales seem to be tipping the favor of evil, I remember the Psalm :

I was silent; I would not open my mouth,
for you are the one who has done this. (Psalm 39:9)

Peace,
Stavro

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 12:33:11 AM »

What can we, the immigrant copts, do for pur bretheren in Egypt ?

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Tags: persecution Islam 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: