OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:12:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perceived slights against the Vatican  (Read 263 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: November 04, 2010, 04:46:51 PM »

Santa Maria in Trastevere (Rome, Italy)

Is this the one which is supposed to have gold on its ceiling brought back by Columbus from the New World?

Isa, I think that every church in Spain has gold from the New World. The fact that they used gold from the New World is not a shocking fact. I do not think that Europe has or had much gold, though. Although I hear Romania has significant gold mines.
He ignorance is showing. This church is Italian. The Spanish Crown was the one that discovered America. I hope the moderator sees his posts. We just can't be at peace anywhere us Catholics have something to post without having him attacking anything that resembles Roman Catholic. I was under the assumption that this thread is for posting pics and not for polemics. I sincerely hope the moderator helps us keep that way, and I am aware he has already given a warning.

Unfortunatley, I've never been to Iberia yet (I was offered a trip once, but I would have missed Pascha with my sons, so I declined), and it has been a long time since I was those days in Rome.  Even my memories of St. Peter's are tumbled together.

In the church of question, I just recognized (I think, hence my question for confirmation) the ceiling design.  IIRC, the same church (the one with Columbus' gold) also has a relic of the manger of Bethlehem.  Having been to Bethlehem, I was less struck by that, but the historian in me was caught to the historical reference to Columbus.

Yes, Romania has gold.  Under King Lois I (1326-1382) of Hungary (and Poland) Hungary produced a third of all the gold in the known world.

The ducat (pronounced /ˈdʌkət/) is a gold coin that was used as a trade currency throughout Europe before World War I. Its weight is 3.4909 grams of .986 gold, which is 0.1107 troy ounce, AGW, actual gold weight. The first issue of this coin is thought to have been under Roger II of Sicily, who, in 1140, coined ducats bearing the figure of Christ, and the inscription, Sit tibi, Christe, datus, quem tu regis iste ducatus (or roughly, "O Christ, let this duchy which you rule be dedicated to you." This seems to be a reference to Matthew 22:19-21, "Render unto Caesar...")...The ducat was introduced by the Republic of Venice in 1284 under the Doge Giovanni Dandolo (1280–1289)...The standard of coin was adopted in Hungary; and for a long time all foreign coins bore the name Ongri, Venetian for "Hungarian", where the trade of the world at this period was concentrated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducat
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:49:11 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: