OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 10:41:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Priest  (Read 2207 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: November 04, 2010, 02:17:38 AM »

Here is some information about my blessed Priest, Tsebate GebreMariam:

From: http://www.ethiopianorthodoxchurch.info/about.html#anchor_26

+Tsebate has the rank of Qomose ( Archimandrite )
+He is a Holy Monk, a teacher. 
+The title of Tsabate means "the teacher of Monks".

He was raised and educated at Debre Libanos monastery, a place that is known for producing exemplary leaders of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church. Within this distinguished spiritual sanctuary, he received his formative education and religious studies beginning at the age of four. Shortly after he was ordained Archimandrite, he was the Abbot, assigned to administer both the women’s convent and the men's monastery of Debre Libanos.  Under his leadership he established humanitarian and educational projects.  In 2003 he established Debre Bisrat St Gabriel Church in Atlanta, GA. USA.

He was a great friend and respected colleague of Our Beloved Father the late Abune Yesehaq. He was chosen by the Abune to succeed him and to continue his mission after his passing.Tsebate was the main (head) Priest that officiated the funeral services of Abune Yesehaq in New York, Washington, Dallas, and his burial in Jamaica, West Indies.

He also shares the vision of Abune Yesehaq of one unified Church, and also the desire to continue the works of our faithful father in the United States and the Caribbean. His knowledge of our Faith and Practice is immense, and his teachings provide only a glimpse of his tremendous knowledge of the Traditions and sacred scriptures, which are the true underpinnings of our Faith. 

May God bless him with eternal strength to continue his great work.

May the prayers of Our Lady
And the grace of Our Lord
Strengthen and preserve Tsebate and the faithful community
Of St. Gabriel Ethiopian Orthodox Church!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 08:06:22 AM »

He also shares the vision of Abune Yesehaq of one unified Church. . .

Huh I don't really get it. Your priest established a parish that is not, and never was, in communion with the Patriarch of Ethiopia and the Holy Synod, right? A parish that currently isn't under any synod or even a single bishop, is it? I would say that if your priest really wants to accomplish a vision of one unified Church, first he would have to recognize Patriarch Paulos. Or Patriarch Merkurios, if he pleases. Well, someone. Isn't having episcopacy essential for Ethiopian Orthodox ecclesiology?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:16:47 AM by Michał » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:02:42 AM »

He also shares the vision of Abune Yesehaq of one unified Church. . .

Huh I don't really get it. Your priest established a parish that is not, and never was, in communion with the Patriarch of Ethiopia and the Holy Synod, right? A parish that currently isn't under any synod or even a single bishop, is it? I would say that if your priest really wants to accomplish a vision of one unified Church, first he would have to recognize Patriarch Paulos. Or Patriarch Merkurios, if he pleases. Well, someone. Isn't having episcopacy essential for Ethiopian Orthodox ecclesiology?

The matter is very complex, but currently there are serious efforts to unite all EOTC Churches under one Patriarch. I have asked my Priest to help me understand these issues, and he says that he will answer my questions when we take our daughter to be baptized this weekend. There has been much controversy surrounding Abuna Paulos and the circumstances in which he came to be the Patriarch of the Church in Ethiopia. I do not know nearly enough to take a position one way or another. What I do know is that my Church is the direct fruit of Abuana Yesehaq, Archbishop of the Western Hemisphere, who was sent by His Majesty Haile Selassie I to establish the Tewahedo Faith in the West Indies and America. That is enough for me to know; and I have full confidence in my Priest to follow the Holy Spirit in leading our Church in the right direction.

Please pray for Ethiopia, and for the unity and preservation of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 08:17:11 AM »

The matter is very complex, but currently there are serious efforts to unite all EOTC Churches under one Patriarch.

I know there are. And a group of people claiming to be both Ethiopian Orthodox and Rastafarians (still believing in the Emperor's Divinity - see the 'Jah' graphics at their website: http://www.abbayesehaq.com/graphics) is really unhappy about it. Defending Mekorios and accusing Paulos, they recognize none of them as the Patriarch (just like the late Abuna Yesehaq) and simply wait for God to resolve the situation.

The Ethiopian Orthodox Church holds it’s own synods and Elects it’s own Patriarch. At present . . . there is no real Patriarch lawfully appointed, we are praying that the All Highest will resolve this tragic situation and we know that the Judgment is sure.
Source: http://www.abbayesehaq.com/nwhistory.htm

In 1992 a schism was created in the Holy Ethiopian Orthodox Church. After the collapse of the communists in Ethiopia a new government . . . sought control of the Ethiopian Church and the then legitimately appointed Patriarch of the Church, Abuna Mekorios. He became an obstacle to their desire as he was not in agreement with them. He was pressured into resignation and exile with threats of arrest and against his very life, he had to flee to Kenya and then Eventually America assisted by Abba Yesehaq. A false politically appointed puppet was installed as Patriarch, Paulos. Abuna Yesehaq and fifteen others Bishops rejected his appointment and this caused a rift that continues till this day in March 2010.
This man Paulos who has the backing of the present Ethiopian Government is a murderer: killing clergy in Gondar that opposed him; killing a Batawi who was delivering a letter of protest to him. Further, he is also supported and directed by the Vatican and the World Council of Churches of which he is the current president. Paulos is the worst Patriarch in the 2000 year History of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. [...] It seems like people have forgotten his Evil and even now are joined with this wicked false patriarch who has done precisely what Ignatious Loyola, Pero Pais, Susneyos and Mussolini could not do, take control of the Church, he has fulfilled an ardent, fervent, centuries old desire of Rome; he submitted to Pope Paul II and takes council with Benedict.
[...]
What is happening now in 2010 is that within all the churches established by Abba Yesehaq there is division, a disappointing majority of the people who Abba Yesehaq raised up, made into a people that knows their history, their roots, a fulfillment of Marcus Garvey's prophecy that we would Worship God through the Eyes of Ethiopia. People he loved and loves still, educated, ordained as priests, gave everything for have become just like Judas Iscariot betraying Abba Yesehaq. There are people wishing to bring the churches Abba Yesehaq established in the West under the canon law of Ethiopia to Roman Catholicism and the Pope represented by Paulos.
[...]
The independent council that Abba Yesehaq set up in Dallas, Texas has disbanded. They have become silent and they ignore these issues. Priests in the West who still defend The Ethiopian Orthodox Church in it's ancient non-roman form and the position of Abuna Yesehaq (and they are few and far between only two in Jamaica and a couple others in America and Canada are left) are now sidelined and maligned left to fend for themselves especially in Jamaica. Yet we will never forget what Abba Yesehaq taught us "...Vatican City is our worst enemy", Further we firmly believe this ultimate truth - Not even the Dog that pisseth against the wall shall escape the Judgment.
Source: http://www.abbayesehaq.com/nw_activities_americaAtrocity.htm

Indeed, a lot of prayer for Ethiopian Orthodoxy is needed.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:27:08 AM by Michał » Logged
Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: