OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 03:17:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon / Prayer Corner Questions - setting mine up.  (Read 2076 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« on: November 01, 2010, 09:31:47 PM »

I had my prayer corner (not in the corner as we have no east facing corners in my house.) - or the beginnings of it set up on a dresser on an east facing wall.  My two (so far icons) are the Crucifix Icon of Christ (self standing) and an Icon of the Abraham's Hospitality.  My husband recently built a book case for me that I designed to enable for me to have an icon table that doubles as a book shelf for my Bible, Prayer books and my other books concerning my faith.

My questions are this:  I just ordered a matching set of the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Theotokos.  My sponsor has purchased for me two icons - one of the Theotokos (specifically to put on the table by my bed) and my patron saint to place in my prayer corner. . .is there a specific order or placement of icons that should be followed? 

As I said above, my prayer 'corner' is a flat wall - the nearest corner that I can use is South East. . .better to stay on the East wall or should this really be in a corner?

Are there any necessary icons that I should think about purchasing that should be in any any icon corner (like on the Iconostatis at church?)

I have an incense burner, and vigil lamps. . .I will order a hanging vigil lamp as soon as I am able.  Is there anything else that I am missing?

Thanks!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:04:51 PM »

If you hit the tag "icon corner" you will find several postings that discuss this topic.

THOMAS
CONVERT ISSUES FORUM MODERATOR

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »

If you hit the tag "icon corner" you will find several postings that discuss this topic.

THOMAS
CONVERT ISSUES FORUM MODERATOR

Thanks!! I was using prayer corner as a search. . .Smiley

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:16:26 PM »

I've got a fairly elaborate setup at this point, and my lesson in retrospect is that simpler is better. All you really need is an open heart to pray.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 11:50:26 PM »

I had my prayer corner (not in the corner as we have no east facing corners in my house.) - or the beginnings of it set up on a dresser on an east facing wall. 

Fwiw, my icon corner faces Southeast rather than East.

...is there a specific order or placement of icons that should be followed? 

Other than Jesus being on the right and the Theotokos on the left (if they're paired together), I don't think so.

As I said above, my prayer 'corner' is a flat wall - the nearest corner that I can use is South East. . .better to stay on the East wall or should this really be in a corner?

I'd say it's really up to you--whatever makes it best for you to pray. If it'd bug you one way or the other, I'd say go with what works best for you.

Are there any necessary icons that I should think about purchasing that should be in any any icon corner (like on the Iconostatis at church?)

I don't think so, you've got (or are getting) the ones that I'd have said were at the top of the list. After that, it's up to you, though it's nice to have a reason for the icons you choose after that. For example I have St. James to represent the Biblical writers, St. Gregory the Theologian to represent the Church Fathers, etc.

I have an incense burner, and vigil lamps. . .I will order a hanging vigil lamp as soon as I am able.  Is there anything else that I am missing?

Perhaps keep some candles handy, in case your priest ever wants to use them when he visits. That's all I can think of though.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Tags: icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: