OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:15:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Individual conversion or entire family conversion?  (Read 740 times) Average Rating: 0
Onuphrius23

Faith: Orthodox

« on: October 29, 2010, 03:29:06 PM »

Hello All,
If I may ask what have you experienced in the conversion process... Did it started as an individual call toward Orthodoxy or was your family involved as well as a whole?

I realize that people with wife and family might experience another spiritual dynamic in comparison with single people converting to Orthodoxy.

I'm curious, for those that are married: was it difficult to explain your spiritual experience and conversion desire to your spouse so he/she could follow you on the same path?
In Christ,
Onuphrius23
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 02:01:39 AM »

I converted by myself and about a couple years later my family (for many reasons that I won't get into) began going to my church as well. They were coming from a non-liturgical Protestant background so it took a lot for them to get used to. But they talked to the priest and began going to the inquirers class and are now officially catechumens on their way to joining the Church.

So it started as an individual call but my family has now embraced the faith. I originally did try to kind of tell them about the Church and how true it was and basically show them how intellectually Orthodoxy is the true faith. I failed miserably. They didn't really give it much thought and kind of shrugged it off. I realized that was wrong for me to do and it wasn't going to work so I just prayed for them. Eventually God performed a miracle and has brought them into the Church.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:58:07 PM »

Our whole family (of nine) converted together.  Two years ago I started reading about Orthodoxy, and was quite intrigued. I'd been vaguely aware of Orthodoxy, but didn't understand at all what it was all about.  But I had been the one over the 16 years of our marriage that had always gotten the ball rolling when it came to switching churches (I'd get "antsy" and want to try something new), so this time I kept my mouth shut (for the most part).  Within weeks my husband started asking me questions about what I was reading, and a couple months later we went to our first services.  From that point, he took the lead and we were all baptized this past January. 

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 01:09:21 PM »

My family seven converted together. My wife and I were so well matched we had the same quest  for the True Church. We have never regretted our decions.

THOMAS

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 04:00:06 PM »

If I may ask what have you experienced in the conversion process... Did it started as an individual call toward Orthodoxy or was your family involved as well as a whole?
I guess I started the ball rolling by some books that I just happened across. Then my husband took it one step further when we attended a Divine Liturgy. (at the time, he was working as a job coach/developer for people with disabilities and had just been assigned a new client who was Greek Orthodox. Her parents invited us to go with them.)

...for those that are married: was it difficult to explain your spiritual experience and conversion desire to your spouse so he/she could follow you on the same path?

We don't typically have those kinds of conversations. Theology tends to put him to sleep. We actually experience faith in different ways - I'm more talky and thinky ("on the one hand - this....on the other hand, that") while he is more hands-on and service-oriented. He loves serving in the altar and in prison ministry.

He was chrismated before I was. It took me almost a year longer. But after our first Divine Liturgy, we sort of looked at each other and just knew there was no turning back.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »

I waited for about two years before being baptized Orthodox, hoping that my wife and infant son would join with me, but for now I've done it by myself. My wife is supportive but still has many reservations, so it's bittersweet.
Onuphrius23

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 06:38:03 PM »

Glory be to Jesus Christ!,

Thanks  for all your reply.  From what I understand, the process of conversion toward Orthodoxy is long but all of you have done it with great devotions and prayers! Yes, I agree, God's ways are not our always our ways! 
Thanks again for sharing your personal conversion stories on this board with me.
I would appreciate your prayers since I'm in between 2 world( Orthodox and Catholic) right now and this is not easy. 

Some of your replies were very insightful, and helpful.
Onuphrius
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:30:29 PM »

I was the one who got the ball rolling.  My husband was intrigued but never as much as I was.   We all began attending together and one by one my kids wanted to become Orthodox (except my teen son).  Hubby decided it wasn't for him after 9months of attending.  We've been a 2 church family ever since (2006).  It isn't perfect but it works for us.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: