Author Topic: Astonishing: Pope reportedly asked whether ‘Amoris Laetitia’ was orthodox  (Read 541 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
...Assuming that it is accurate — and we have no reason to doubt that it is — Cardinal Schönborn’s anecdote presents us with an astonishing picture: The successor to St. Peter — the man whose solemn duty it is to guard the deposit of the faith — is asking another prelate whether his own teaching is orthodox. And he is comforted to hear an affirmative answer.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/astonishing-pope-reportedly-asked-whether-amoris-laetitia-was-orthodox-afte
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
I forgot to add lifesitenews to my list of places to avoid in the Random Postings thread  :P
"The bed is too short to stretch out on, the blanket too narrow to wrap around you." (Isa. 28:20)

"For because they wronged the simple, they shall be slain; and an inquisition shall ruin the ungodly." (Prov. 1:32 LXX)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
I tend to take things from that side with a huge grain of salt as I've seen many stories that they have put out that turn out to be completely incorrect. I hope this is another case of that.
God bless!

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
Lifesite is the New York Post of church news sites.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios

Is the report and its citations inaccurate? 
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos

Usually. 

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
This isn't all that big a deal: any number of bulls and constitutions have their supreme pontiff consulting others.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios

Usually.

Surely that's not a deflection. 

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
The original source provides a different tone for the whole thing, basically setting it up as Pope Francis asking for the opinion of someone he has a decades-long and close relationship with.

https://cruxnow.com/commentary/2017/07/15/cardinal-schonborn-moral-theology-needs-principles-prudence/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:40:46 PM by Asteriktos »
"The bed is too short to stretch out on, the blanket too narrow to wrap around you." (Isa. 28:20)

"For because they wronged the simple, they shall be slain; and an inquisition shall ruin the ungodly." (Prov. 1:32 LXX)

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos

Usually.

Surely that's not a deflection.
I don't trust them.  They will take measure of truth and twist it into a story that is for the most part false.  They have an agenda and smearing Pope Francis is part of it.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
The original source provides a different tone for the whole thing, basically setting it up as Pope Francis asking for the opinion of someone he has a decades-long and close relationship with.

https://cruxnow.com/commentary/2017/07/15/cardinal-schonborn-moral-theology-needs-principles-prudence/
The point that Life Site News picked up and ran with is that Pope Francis issued it first, and then asked his friend if it was orthodox. That does seem odd.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:26:41 PM by Justin Kolodziej »
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one

The point that Life Site News picked up and ran with is that Pope Francis issued it first, and then asked his friend if it was orthodox. That does seem odd.

I'm not sure why though? Does he have to consult everyone he is close to or respects before he publishes, or is he for some reason prohibited from asking anyone after he publishes? Would people criticize St. Paul for saying:

"Then after fourteen years, I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also. I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain." (Gal. 2:1-2)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
^ Hey that's St. Paul, not St. Peter.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
  • Faith: Maronite Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Given that, by all indications, AL was seemingly not penned by Pope Francis, but by a ghostwriter, he'd like to be sure, maybe.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline servulus

• Faith: Catechumen
Given that, by all indications, AL was seemingly not penned by Pope Francis, but by a ghostwriter, he'd like to be sure, maybe.
Thanks for the link. I knew that the ghostwriter had written a book in the past about kissing. This part makes me glad I didn't read AL:
In this way, with the intention of summarizing the immense richness of life have come these pages on behalf of the kiss, which I hope may help you to kiss better, urge you to liberate in a kiss the best of your being.”