OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 01:31:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Catholic Churches  (Read 27480 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »

It's depressing that the beautiful High Altars in Roman Catholic Churches are now, for the most part, fancy candle and flower holders behind a plain table.

I fail to understand why you did that. Old-fashioned Catholicism seems extremely beautiful while this present outlook with tables and all that seems fairly dull.
Indeed, Catholic art, architecture, and liturgy are in a dismal state. Maybe you all can pray for us that God sends us more traditionally minded priests and bishops. God knows we need the prayers.

BTW, here are the plans for a new church, which my old Latin parish is seeking to build. I hope they are able to accomplish this. Very beautiful.
http://www.stanm.org/documents/office/site_plan.pdf
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:56:42 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2013, 06:59:27 PM »

It's pretty amazing how many glorious cathedrals I've seen in Europe where the priests have turned their backs on the high beautiful altars to use something I would expect to see in Ikea. I think the triumph of mediocrity in the Catholic church is pretty much irreversible now- the people who actually care about such things will always be a minority.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2013, 08:35:32 PM »

I think the triumph of mediocrity in the Catholic church is pretty much irreversible now- the people who actually care about such things will always be a minority.
What a dire conclusion! What leads you to believe this?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2013, 08:41:52 PM »

This is the Church of the Incarnation in Rio Rancho, NM. Though the colors are bright, the architecture is actually quite traditional. Also, because the parish has spent so much money building the church, they still need to acquire more statuary and religious icons.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »

Wowzers.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2013, 10:01:26 PM »

This is the Church of the Incarnation in Rio Rancho, NM. Though the colors are bright, the architecture is actually quite traditional. Also, because the parish has spent so much money building the church, they still need to acquire more statuary and religious icons.

I like the ceiling over the nave, but I'm not so sure I like how it appears over the altar and the transept (?), at least from that particular photo. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »

That Church is not ugly, but it is rather severe. It seems rather impersonal.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »

It's pretty amazing how many glorious cathedrals I've seen in Europe where the priests have turned their backs on the high beautiful altars to use something I would expect to see in Ikea. I think the triumph of mediocrity in the Catholic church is pretty much irreversible now- the people who actually care about such things will always be a minority.
Watching Pope Francis' Masses fills me with despair for the future of the Roman Rite. I miss Pope Benedict.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »

Watching Pope Francis' Masses fills me with despair for the future of the Roman Rite. I miss Pope Benedict.

I was more impressed with Pope Benedict as well, but who knows what the future will hold for Pope Francis.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2013, 12:24:19 AM »

I got to see a medieval French Cistercian abbey recently and it was completely grey inside with only a handful of statues, but it was absolutely beautiful and I felt as if I was in a sacred space.   It's interesting because that church in MN that Papist shared with us is much more colorful (even has "warm tones") and has a lot more going on, but to me it feels very impersonal and sterile.  One would think that I'd feel that way about the stark abbey, but that wasn't the case.  It is very interesting to me.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:10 AM »

That Church is not ugly, but it is rather severe. It seems rather impersonal.

Well I think once the parish is decorated it will look much better. I hope.

ErmyCath

Faith: Roman Catholic (inquiring with GOA)
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Mobile

« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »

I found some closer pictures of the altar and it seems to have an altar rail. So that's a nice start.

I like the Church, with the exception of the lack of symmetry around the altar. Maybe they are going to get a bigger Crucifix, so this set up might be temporary.

"You must have an opinion on everything and loudly confront everyone with it." - Cyrillic
WPM
Archon

« Reply #237 on: August 12, 2013, 11:49:02 AM »

Thanks for sharing pictures of RC churches God bless
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #238 on: August 12, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »

San Saba-Rome
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #239 on: August 12, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »

This Church, for the most part has Retablos, instead of Statues.

It feels very New Mexican.

I would love to see more pictures like this. A few years ago, our school was on a trip to Poland and we visited a small wooden church outside of kraków that was really beautiful.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #240 on: August 12, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »

Santa Sabina
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #241 on: August 12, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »

It's depressing that the beautiful High Altars in Roman Catholic Churches are now, for the most part, fancy candle and flower holders behind a plain table.

I fail to understand why you did that. Old-fashioned Catholicism seems extremely beautiful while this present outlook with tables and all that seems fairly dull.
Indeed, Catholic art, architecture, and liturgy are in a dismal state.

True, although not so dismal in the case of ECs.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #242 on: August 12, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »

I think the triumph of mediocrity in the Catholic church is pretty much irreversible now- the people who actually care about such things will always be a minority.

1. Knowing the tastes of my generation and the even worse ones of succeeding generations; 2. Knowing the fact that generations of Catholics have grown up with crap art and most of them think it's a-OK; 3. My personal experience with Catholics both in and outside my family; 4. Seeing the apparent wild popularity of Pope Francis compared with his predecessor.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #243 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:10 PM »

1. Knowing the tastes of my generation and the even worse ones of succeeding generations; 2. Knowing the fact that generations of Catholics have grown up with crap art and most of them think it's a-OK; 3. My personal experience with Catholics both in and outside my family; 4. Seeing the apparent wild popularity of Pope Francis compared with his predecessor.

It just seems to me that thoose who like the ugly art, and weak expressions of the faith will also be those who hardly practice the faith. They will eventually stop practicing and what will be left will be the traditionalists. I hate to see them go, but I think Pope Benedict was right when he predicted a smaller, more purified Church.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #244 on: August 12, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »

It just seems to me that thoose who like the ugly art, and weak expressions of the faith will also be those who hardly practice the faith. They will eventually stop practicing and what will be left will be the traditionalists. I hate to see them go, but I think Pope Benedict was right when he predicted a smaller, more purified Church.

That is very wishful thinking, my friend. Generally, the crap art is not the product of "those who hardly practice the faith", but of active members of the Catholic Church (e.g. Lentz, McNichols). Some of them are even clergy or monastics, or, as seen in Brazil, dancing bishops. If love of bad art was a good predictor for leaving the church, I think this purification would have happened by now. These people are as committed to sticking around as they are to turning their backs on centuries of tradition. If you ask them, a guitar mass is not a "weak" expression of faith- no, it's vibrant, dynamic, etc.

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2013, 01:22:25 AM »

That is very wishful thinking, my friend. Generally, the crap art is not the product of "those who hardly practice the faith", but of active members of the Catholic Church (e.g. Lentz, McNichols). Some of them are even clergy or monastics, or, as seen in Brazil, dancing bishops. If love of bad art was a good predictor for leaving the church, I think this purification would have happened by now. These people are as committed to sticking around as they are to turning their backs on centuries of tradition. If you ask them, a guitar mass is not a "weak" expression of faith- no, it's vibrant, dynamic, etc.
I think you are right. In the 25 years that I have been a Catholic (17 years as a Roman Catholic, and 8 years as an Eastern Catholic) things have actually gotten worse. And to top it all off the present pope seems bored by the liturgy, and completely indifferent when it comes to maintaining the few vestiges of liturgical tradition still left in the Roman Church. I pray that things get better. Who knows, maybe Cardinal Burke will become pope next.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #246 on: October 06, 2013, 10:55:08 PM »

San Felipe de Neri Church in Albuquerque, NM.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:56:47 PM by Papist » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #247 on: October 06, 2013, 11:14:41 PM »

Kaskaskia, IL

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #248 on: October 07, 2013, 12:55:31 AM »

What's that flat-topped structure with the white cloth on top that's obstructing the view of the altar?  Wink

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #249 on: October 07, 2013, 12:55:39 AM »

Kaskaskia, IL
This looks very similar to the parish we used in SC.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #250 on: October 07, 2013, 01:26:52 AM »

What's that flat-topped structure with the white cloth on top that's obstructing the view of the altar?  Wink

Do you mean the altar that's obstructing the view of the altar? Cool

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #251 on: October 07, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »

Ha! I thought the same thing. Smiley

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #252 on: October 07, 2013, 01:43:43 PM »

St. Isidore's Church in Grand Rapids, MI

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #253 on: October 07, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »

^ I like!!!

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #254 on: October 07, 2013, 01:56:38 PM »

I don't know why but RC statues scare me just like clowns do.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #255 on: October 07, 2013, 02:10:50 PM »

I like the white ones. Get the tone right, and even resin can create the illusion of marble. Add even a single lick of paint, and it becomes instantly tacky. Sad

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #256 on: October 07, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »

I like the white ones. Get the tone right, and even resin can create the illusion of marble. Add even a single lick of paint, and it becomes instantly tacky. Sad
I prefer the white ones as well.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #257 on: October 07, 2013, 02:16:45 PM »

Me too, but I generally love those traditional catholic altars.

From the Holy Family Cathedral in Tulsa.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #258 on: October 07, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »

St. Mary's in Grand Rapids, MI:

(Basilica of St. Adalbert in the background)

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #259 on: October 07, 2013, 02:49:09 PM »

Right.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #260 on: October 07, 2013, 02:54:54 PM »

The white once are quite okay.

However, I've seen a white statue of St. Basil that looked like Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean. Yuck!

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #261 on: November 22, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »

And... . . bump.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #262 on: November 23, 2013, 06:34:29 AM »

I look through this entire thread to find that no one posted the Sagrada Família!

here watch this video about it and its long history.... sadly wish there were better documentaries, I swear I watched a long one somewhere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnNwpmdWm1w

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #263 on: November 24, 2013, 12:43:24 AM »

This is how the chapel at my university looks now (although the arrangement seems to have changed slightly since these were taken):

It used to look so much better... See here,here and here.

There are apparently plans to "restore" it and make the seating circle completely around the altar.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:44:11 AM by Nephi » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #264 on: November 24, 2013, 12:47:30 AM »

You almost wish they just tore down the original structure and built something banal so that you wouldn't have the distraction of some acceptable statuary, paintings, a reredos, and an awesome pulpit competing with a badly set up ambaltar, those chairs, and the silly, needless plants. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #265 on: November 24, 2013, 12:57:32 AM »

You almost wish they just tore down the original structure and built something banal so that you wouldn't have the distraction of some acceptable statuary, paintings, a reredos, and an awesome pulpit competing with a badly set up ambaltar, those chairs, and the silly, needless plants. 

Well it's just transitional I suppose while they raise the needed funds to give it a more relevant and welcoming atmosphere. Then all that unnecessary, outdated clutter that's distracting those present from the real purpose of the Mass will be gone, and they'll be able to have a relevant experience of God's grace today like a breath of fresh air.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #266 on: November 24, 2013, 01:29:20 AM »

[img]http://www.catholiccincinnati.org/wp-

Take away the plants, the tall thing on the left (I guess I should know what it is), and put a second cross on the left for symmetry, and that'd be beautiful. Very minimalist and clean and grand.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #267 on: November 24, 2013, 07:02:29 AM »

The pulpit

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #268 on: November 24, 2013, 08:59:15 AM »

[img]http://www.catholiccincinnati.org/wp-

Take away the plants, the tall thing on the left (I guess I should know what it is), and put a second cross on the left for symmetry, and that'd be beautiful. Very minimalist and clean and grand.

Really? I'm more curious what the altar deal is.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #269 on: November 24, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »

[size= 20pt] -i don't get the two tables either. Unless it is the table the chalice and water cruets are put on.  Since there are chairs around it they probably can't have it up against the wall as it usually would be.
[/size]

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: