OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 01:25:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Catholic Churches  (Read 29487 times) Average Rating: 0
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« on: November 01, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »

Please post pictures of Roman Catholic churches here:
I found this beautiful photo at skyscraper city forum.
This is the Piarist church in Chełm,Poland which is also known by its Ukrainian name Kholm.

One of my favorite churches. I used to visit it often but now I seem to have less time. Perhaps I should start praying more. The cathedral and minor basilica in Kielce, Poland.

Cathedral tower
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:34:36 PM by synLeszka » Logged
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »

Now when you say Roman Catholic...you do mean Romanian Orthodox, right? Tongue
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:46:40 PM »

Here are some pics of the church at St. Vincent College in Latrobe PA (dedicated in 1905, became a basilica in 1955)...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »

St. Michael's New Haven, CT.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24557771@N02/5128231937/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24557771@N02/5128837278/

Sacred Heart Phoenixville, PA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24557771@N02/5128837100/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24557771@N02/5128837008/

St. Monica's Berwyn, PA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24557771@N02/5119715598/
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:53:02 PM »

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 11:25:47 AM »

I really wish I could find a picture of my parish's sanctuary (it's really beautiful, not unlike many of the wonderful pictures here), but for now here is a picture of the outside of my Church:

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 11:38:10 AM »

I'm going to need this.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 01:57:45 PM »

St. Dominic's Catholic Church in San Francisco California:

http://www.stdominics.org/parish/photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/subpopstar/2659208138/

http://www.stdominics.org/sacraments/marriage.asp

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »

He ought to: Wołoch in Polish means "Romanian/Vlach," Wołochowie historic "Romania," and Włochy "Italy."  It comes from Germanic Wlaha "foreignors, Romans." The Poles were neighbors to the Romanians, according to the Poles the Dniester forming the boundary set by God between them. The Poles were never anywhere near Rome or Italy.

What does this have to do with the Orthodox, except that the OP shows pictures from Kholm, the historic center of Orthodoxy in Poland, that is before the Union of Brest was forced on it, and after that yoke was lifted? St. Vladimir founded it, and it was part of Kievan Rus', but later annexed by the Piasts who set up a Latin bishoprick.  The Orthodox Cathedral was given by the "The Polish Committee of National Liberation" to the Vatican in 1944.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:12:34 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »

He ought to: Wołoch in Polish means "Romanian/Vlach," Wołochowie historic "Romania," and Włochy "Italy."  It comes from Germanic Wlaha "foreignors, Romans." The Poles were neighbors to the Romanians, according to the Poles the Dniester forming the boundary set by God between them. The Poles were never anywhere near Rome or Italy.

How do you pronounce those? In particular the "ł".

I'm going to need this.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 03:14:42 PM »

He ought to: Wołoch in Polish means "Romanian/Vlach," Wołochowie historic "Romania," and Włochy "Italy."  It comes from Germanic Wlaha "foreignors, Romans." The Poles were neighbors to the Romanians, according to the Poles the Dniester forming the boundary set by God between them. The Poles were never anywhere near Rome or Italy.

How do you pronounce those? In particular the "ł".
W=v; ł=dark, back l (archaic/stage/regional)/w (usual); ch=kh. o=aw, e=eh

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
synLeszka
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 04:35:07 PM »

He ought to: Wołoch in Polish means "Romanian/Vlach," Wołochowie historic "Romania," and Włochy "Italy."  It comes from Germanic Wlaha "foreignors, Romans." The Poles were neighbors to the Romanians, according to the Poles the Dniester forming the boundary set by God between them. The Poles were never anywhere near Rome or Italy.

What does this have to do with the Orthodox, except that the OP shows pictures from Kholm, the historic center of Orthodoxy in Poland, that is before the Union of Brest was forced on it, and after that yoke was lifted? St. Vladimir founded it, and it was part of Kievan Rus', but later annexed by the Piasts who set up a Latin bishoprick.  The Orthodox Cathedral was given by the "The Polish Committee of National Liberation" to the Vatican in 1944.
Wołoch and Włoch in Polish phonetic alphabet are written as Voůoχ and vůoχ. ů being the equivalent of the English "w" and χ being a sound similar to "h" in human.

Wołoch once signified a person who would now be called Romanian. The historic term for Romania in Polish is Wołoszczyzna. The region which is called Transylvannia was in Polish, Siedmiogród.
What are you talking about that caveat about the Dniestr being the Divinely instituted border of Poland? Roll Eyes

The historic centres of Polish Orthodoxy are outside of the modern day borders of Poland. First and foremost, the city of Kyiv/Kiev is the heart of the Polish Orthodoxy, because the majority of Orthodox in Poland are descended from the Kyivan principalities on the Dniepr, who because of political repression emigrated to the West. Another I can mention is Ostróg/Ostroh, Halicz and Włodzimierz Wołyński. The church in question in Jesus's post:

According to the Polish wikipedia here are the owners of the church since its construction in 1756
Wyznanie    
greckokatolickie (1756-1875) Greek Catholic
prawosławie (1875-1919) Orthodox
rzymskokatolickie (1919-1940) Roman Catholic
prawosławie (1940-1944) Orthodox
rzymskokatolickie (od 1940) Roman Catholic

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 11:33:49 PM »

What does this have to do with the Orthodox, except that the OP shows pictures from Kholm, the historic center of Orthodoxy in Poland, that is before the Union of Brest was forced on it, and after that yoke was lifted? St. Vladimir founded it, and it was part of Kievan Rus', but later annexed by the Piasts who set up a Latin bishoprick.  The Orthodox Cathedral was given by the "The Polish Committee of National Liberation" to the Vatican in 1944.
Wołoch and Włoch in Polish phonetic alphabet are written as Voůoχ and vůoχ. ů being the equivalent of the English "w" and χ being a sound similar to "h" in human.

Wołoch once signified a person who would now be called Romanian. The historic term for Romania in Polish is Wołoszczyzna. The region which is called Transylvannia was in Polish, Siedmiogród.
What are you talking about that caveat about the Dniestr being the Divinely instituted border of Poland? Roll Eyes
The Polish delegate Martin Chometowski (1703) "Inter nos et Valachiam ipse Deus flumine Tyras dislimitavit" Between us and the Vlachs/Romanians God Himself delineated the river Dniester.

The historic centres of Polish Orthodoxy are outside of the modern day borders of Poland. First and foremost, the city of Kyiv/Kiev is the heart of the Polish Orthodoxy,

Kiev isn't in, nor ever has been, in Poland. I know that historically the Polish Crown has had a problem wrapping its head around that fact, signified by splitting the Szczerbiec on Kiev's gate.

because the majority of Orthodox in Poland are descended from the Kyivan principalities on the Dniepr,

The Dniepr doesn't flow through Galicia (darker green here):

who because of political repression emigrated to the West. Another I can mention is Ostróg/Ostroh, Halicz and Włodzimierz Wołyński.

Halicz and Volodymyr are the determinative. The sees of Cholm and Peremyshl are the homeland of Polish Orthodoxy.  Besides Krakow of St. Gorazd.

The church in question in Jesus's post:

According to the Polish wikipedia here are the owners of the church since its construction in 1756
Wyznanie    
The Church was set up by King Daniel of Ruthenia and Halych as an Orthodox See in 1260, which it was until the Polish Sejm forced the Union of Brest on it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:35:17 PM by ialmisry » Logged

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 11:58:42 PM »

I'll limit myself to churches I've physically been to.

St. Anthony of Padua parish, New Bedford, Mass.

I consider this perhaps the most beautiful church in New England. This photo doesn't even come close to capturing it. It is covered in sculpture, and in every crevice is a tiny lightbulb---thousands and thousands all over the place. When the lights are lit---stunning! They are not lit often, because it costs $500 an hour in electricity.

The best Stations of the Cross I've ever seen. And hanging over the nave on both sides are lines of enormous sculptures of angels blowing trumpets.

Very nice from the outside too:

And the pastor, Fr. Roger Landry, is one of the great lieutenants of the Catholic restoration.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 12:00:31 AM »

Okay, I'll break my rule this one time. I've never been to the Cathedral of St Louis, Missouri, USA, but it's definitely high on my list:

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 12:02:48 AM »

Church of Our Saviour, New York

proof that churches built since the 1950s need not be ugly

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 12:18:19 AM »

My favorite, Cathedrale de Notre-Dame-de-Chartres

(artificial shot---it's actually much darker, and what light there is streams from the rich hues of the glorious stained glass, as you can see below)

portal

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 12:34:09 AM »

Okay, I'll break my rule this one time. I've never been to the Cathedral of St Louis, Missouri, USA, but it's definitely high on my list:

odd. i've been there but i didn't recognize it in the photo (I think it is the lighting)

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 12:36:36 AM »

angel
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 12:58:52 AM »

odd. i've been there but i didn't recognize it in the photo (I think it is the lighting)
Or perhaps your aversion to all things Latin prevented you from seeing the true beauty of it.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 01:04:07 AM »

Ooooo, I love that one! Thank you for posting it. I've heard rumors of a beautiful Roman Catholic church with mosaics in St. Louis. If only more were like this. Actually, I'd settle for even a modest reduction in modernism and Baroque. Love Baroque music, but find the architecture and the fat little cherubs very distracting.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 01:06:03 AM »

Or perhaps your aversion to all things Latin prevented you from seeing the true beauty of it.

You are on your way to becoming a less witty, more trigger happy version of whom you seek to egg on.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 01:10:54 AM »

Hardly. That I have no love for Ultramontanism does not mean I have an aversion to all things Latin.  your prejudice is showing.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 01:34:29 AM »

Hardly. That I have no love for Ultramontanism does not mean I have an aversion to all things Latin.  your prejudice is showing.

Haha, I could have said this. I'm not fond of Ultramontanism either.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 01:43:15 AM »

Durham Cathedral, northern England (11th-12th centuries)

I love this one, and St. Bede the Venerable is buried here.

I wish I could have seen it before the Protestants usurped it and stripped it of its shrines and iconography (interiors of the great Romanesque and Gothic cathedrals were painted). It still has a strong, severe beauty, perfectly fitting its northern England location.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 01:51:16 AM »

Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal:

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 12:10:16 PM »

Lubeltri,
That last one is absolutely stunning.

AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 12:24:03 PM »

No longer actively a RC Church, but I still like the interior http://www.flickr.com/photos/24557771@N02/4810212337/
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »

http://ccincarnation.org/

This Church is under construction, but from what I am told, the interior of this Church (in my diocese) is supposed to be a small replica of St. Paul's in Rome. I will keep you all posted.

Here are several more pictures:

http://ccincarnation.org/new-design-pictures-of-our-new-church/

As you can tell, it's being built cruciform.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:28:45 PM by Papist » Logged

synLeszka
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 02:23:10 PM »

Response to Jesus' post:
Do you have a problem with the fact that millions of Poles once lived on the Dniestr and Dniepr rivers?
Let us praise that great and holy, defender of the Orthodox faith, Christ's servant, the Thirteenth apostle, the iron man, Iosip Jugashvili, the immortal STALIN who told a Kalmuk and a Kazakh, a Finn and Pole, Tajik and Uzbek, that they have been lied to by the PETTY CAPITALIST and in fact, that they were never Catholic nor Muslim, Lutheran nor Buddhist but GREAT, GREATER, GREATEST GREAT-RUSSIAN nation. The fact that the current Orthodox church of Moscow, does something the Tsars never would of dreamt of, that is that they claim that every citizen of the Russian Federation, is by right of birth, an adherent of Russian Orthodoxy. The Tsar only tried to assimilate Catholics but he did not claim Muslims or Shamanists to be Orthodox.

I view the fact, that the Orthodox branch of our nation was separated from the Catholic branch as a sad event.
This schism in the Commonwealth caused by our great and holy, blessed and apostolic, true believing and insincere, destroyer of all oppression which is the Catholic religion, promoter of Islam and Orthodoxy, Calvinism and Shamanism, His Imperialest Majesty, the Tsar of Holy, Holy, Holy, thrice Holy, thrice thrice thrice Holy social political construct  German occupier of the Eastern Slavs, the Romanov dynasty.
I have even read on one forum, by a self-named Crimean Slav, neither Ukrainian nor Russian who said that nationalities in our region are historical constructions especially the Great Russian nationality. I do not entirely agree with this but in some aspects this might hold true.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 02:49:49 PM »

Response to Jesus' post:
Do you have a problem with the fact that millions of Poles once lived on the Dniestr and Dniepr rivers?

When?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 04:45:52 PM »

St Patrick's Cathedral NY, NY

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:53:19 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 05:02:02 PM »

Response to Jesus' post:
You mean me?
Armed or otherwise? Since they are gone, not particularly, though I doubt it was millions (I have to see figures).
Let us praise that great and holy, defender of the Orthodox faith, Christ's servant, the Thirteenth apostle, the iron man, Iosip Jugashvili, the immortal STALIN who told a Kalmuk and a Kazakh, a Finn and Pole, Tajik and Uzbek, that they have been lied to by the PETTY CAPITALIST and in fact, that they were never Catholic nor Muslim, Lutheran nor Buddhist but GREAT, GREATER, GREATEST GREAT-RUSSIAN nation.

You seem to place great stock in Soviet propoganda. Are you a Marxist?

I'd ask a Russian, rather than a Georgian, over membership of the Russian nation.

The fact that the current Orthodox church of Moscow, does something the Tsars never would of dreamt of, that is that they claim that every citizen of the Russian Federation, is by right of birth, an adherent of Russian Orthodoxy.

You can of course quote the Patriarch of Moscow or his spokeman making that claim, no?

The Tsar only tried to assimilate Catholics but he did not claim Muslims or Shamanists to be Orthodox.

I view the fact, that the Orthodox branch of our nation was separated from the Catholic branch

The Orthodox branch of your nation form a local autocephalous Church of the Catholic Church.

as a sad event.
This schism in the Commonwealth

"My Kingdon is not of this world"

caused by our great and holy, blessed and apostolic, true believing and insincere, destroyer of all oppression which is the Catholic religion,

You mean the Orthodox Faith into which the ruling house of Lithuania was first baptized, and the first bishop at Krakow professed?

promoter of Islam

a true son of Lech and father of the Vatican.
and Orthodoxy, Calvinism
I recall Calvin being ordained by the Vatican, not the Metropolitan of Moscow.

and Shamanism,

His Imperialest Majesty,

Imperialist? How did all those "millions of Poles" end up outside of Poland on the Dniestr and Dniepr?

the Tsar of Holy, Holy, Holy, thrice Holy, thrice thrice thrice Holy social political construct  German occupier of the Eastern Slavs, the Romanov dynasty.

My, since no dynasty from the loins of Lech has sat on Poland's throne since 1370, one would think you would be more careful.  When the Bolshevks shot the Orthodox confessor Czar St. Nicholas II the blood of Rurik, no matter how diluted, flowed out.

I have even read on one forum, by a self-named Crimean Slav, neither Ukrainian nor Russian who said that nationalities in our region are historical constructions especially the Great Russian nationality. I do not entirely agree with this but in some aspects this might hold true.

Since I am not in your region, I'll leave you to discuss it. As for construct, I do have a branch of ancestors from the region, in Pomerania, who had a German name and nationality but also spoke Polish, something I don't think common among Germans of the German empire. Should I turn out to be partially a son of Lech, it won't change matters.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:03:42 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 05:06:32 PM »

How did a RCC picture thread become yet another isalmisry vs the Pope takeover?

I'm going to need this.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 05:09:58 PM »

synLeszka (the OP) have been trying to palm off some fantasy theories alongside his pictures.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 05:14:32 PM »

synLeszka (the OP) have been trying to palm off some fantasy theories alongside his pictures.

Looking back on the thread, it appears Isa struck first?

I'm going to need this.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 05:15:24 PM »

Please post pictures of Roman Catholic churches here:
I found this beautiful photo at skyscraper city forum.
This is the Piarist church in Chełm,Poland which is also known by its Ukrainian name Kholm.

The historic centres of Polish Orthodoxy are outside of the modern day borders of Poland. First and foremost, the city of Kyiv/Kiev is the heart of the Polish Orthodoxy, because the majority of Orthodox in Poland are descended from the Kyivan principalities on the Dniepr, who because of political repression emigrated to the West. Another I can mention is Ostróg/Ostroh, Halicz and Włodzimierz Wołyński. The church in question in Jesus's post:

Wyznanie    

Response to Jesus' post:
Let us praise that great and holy, defender of the Orthodox faith, Christ's servant, the Thirteenth apostle, the iron man, Iosip Jugashvili, the immortal STALIN who told a Kalmuk and a Kazakh, a Finn and Pole, Tajik and Uzbek, that they have been lied to by the PETTY CAPITALIST and in fact, that they were never Catholic nor Muslim, Lutheran nor Buddhist but GREAT, GREATER, GREATEST GREAT-RUSSIAN nation. The fact that the current Orthodox church of Moscow, does something the Tsars never would of dreamt of, that is that they claim that every citizen of the Russian Federation, is by right of birth, an adherent of Russian Orthodoxy. The Tsar only tried to assimilate Catholics but he did not claim Muslims or Shamanists to be Orthodox.

I view the fact, that the Orthodox branch of our nation was separated from the Catholic branch as a sad event.
This schism in the Commonwealth caused by our great and holy, blessed and apostolic, true believing and insincere, destroyer of all oppression which is the Catholic religion, promoter of Islam and Orthodoxy, Calvinism and Shamanism, His Imperialest Majesty, the Tsar of Holy, Holy, Holy, thrice Holy, thrice thrice thrice Holy social political construct  German occupier of the Eastern Slavs, the Romanov dynasty.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 05:23:52 PM »

I see one..ONE..more post that is not either a picture of a Roman Catholic Church or a direct commentary about such a picture and a) this thread gets shut down and b) the offending poster, be they ORthodox, Catholic, Hindu, whatever, gets slapped with an official warning to the next level.

You people are supposed to be adults.  If you're going to act like children, I will treat you as such.

-Schultz.
Orthodox-Catholic discussion moderator still on cold medicine and crankier than ever.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 05:32:02 PM »

Church of Our Saviour, New York

This reminds me of Fr. Seraphim Rose's theory that Byzantine iconography is not strictly Eastern but Universal tradition of the Church. I bow my head to sheer beauty. We might have the most correct theology but RCs have the most beautiful churches. The present pope of Old Rome has mourned the lost of and lack of concept of sacred art in the Latin church. Fortunately it seems that His Holiness was a little wrong. Smiley

Here and here is couple of panoramas from Turku Cathedral in Finland which used to be Catholic cathedral before reformation. The present RC bishop of Finland was consecrated here.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:38:00 PM by Alpo » Logged

Paisius
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Reframed

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 05:50:22 PM »

Here is a church from my hometown, Immaculate Conception in Jacksonville, Fl.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 06:12:36 PM »

The Cathedral/Basillica from my diocese (Santa Fe):

http://www.cbsfa.org/home0.aspx

http://www.virtualsantafe.com/VirtualSF/StFrancis/

the Altar:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/mikvs/2/1002625820/st-francis-cathedral-interior.jpg/tpod.html

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2010, 06:19:17 PM »

Notre Dame of Africa, Algeria

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 06:24:47 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »

Notre Dame of Africa, Algeria

WOW!

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 06:29:19 PM »

St. Paul Cathedral
St. Paul, Minnesota

I got to see this breathtaking place this spring sometime. There was a service going on, so I couldn't be quite as nosey as I would have liked.

These other four are copyrighted but I encourage you to click on the links to see them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hqbach/2585450652/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hqbach/2585413052/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hqbach/2584271442/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hqbach/2583434007/lightbox/

Sts. Peter and Paul, pray to God for us!
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 06:33:12 PM »

The Cathedral in Denver is absolutely stunning. I had the opportunity to pray there for a dear priest/friend who had passed away.

http://www.denvercathedral.org/

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: