OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 11:54:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has there or will there ever be Catholic moderation on OC.net?  (Read 6835 times) Average Rating: 0
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »

Sorry, Schultz - and stashko. I meant no offense, the comparison was meant as a light-hearted joke - but I seem to be antagonizing a lot of people today so .maybe I will just go back to bed and pull the covers up over my head for a few days. Sad

It's All Alright never fear, no offence taken.... Grin
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:20:20 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »

We need a Orthodox Moderator On catholic Answers Forum ..Because the Catholic mods Are Banning the orthodox Posters....
That's because the Orthodox were causing trouble, gaining converts and such. Wink
Actually, it was because some of the EOs were very rude guests.

What you Latins identify as "rudeness" in ecclesiastical matters is often not that reasonable.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2010, 10:33:06 PM »

We need a Orthodox Moderator On catholic Answers Forum ..Because the Catholic mods Are Banning the orthodox Posters....
That's because the Orthodox were causing trouble, gaining converts and such. Wink
Actually, it was because some of the EOs were very rude guests.

What you Latins identify as "rudeness" in ecclesiastical matters is often not that reasonable.
Huh Do you know the context of what you're addressing?
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2010, 11:43:42 PM »

Best thing to do, as I've noted already, is not get your hopes up about making friends among the Orthodox.

I know that you are speaking from some bitter experiences, both here and on your home list, but there are times when the Orthodox do have to take out the shillelagh and rattle it.  I recall the awful time when you were insisting that the Orthodox allow abortion and another time when you were insisting that an Orthodox second marriage is non-sacramental <shudder>.

But friendships can be formed between Catholics and Orthodox.    For example I consider Stanley123 a friend. He and I have known one another through some tumultuous times on CAF and also here on OC.net. So I do not share your pessimism about friendships.
Thank you Father Ambrose for considering me as your friend,  and I would like to think in terms of good will and friendship toward many other people on this board. Perhaps the problem being referred to  by elijahmaria concerns the fact that the internet communication process lacks the customary face to face contact and instead is formed by the potentially  impersonal  process of typing and online posting of messages.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2010, 11:57:14 PM »

I see your smiley   Wink ..... but all the same, I want to say that the Orthodox were not causing trouble on CAF and both sides, Catholic and Orthodox, were enjoying the vigorous discussions which took place.  The problem for the Catholic moderators was the number of conversions, perhaps about 30 during the time I was a member.  There was no proselytism by the Orthodox but Catholics became attracted to Orthodoxy and some made the changeover.

The moderators told us that the financial supporters of CAF complained about the conversions since they were not handing over their donations to see Catholics disappearing into Orthodoxy.  Seems a reasonable point of view from their side.

And so, the overwhelming majority of us were banned and 99% of our posts were annihilated.  Even some of the Catholics seen as too friendly to the Orthodox were banned, including the Catholic Moderator of that particular sub forum!!  He was in particular a great loss to CAF, he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of all Eastern Catholic matters, as well as being a very affable and genuine chap.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »

The hugest ever thread on OC.net is that devoted to "The Great CAF Purge of 2007."   Smiley

As we were banned from CAF many of us fell into deep shock, and then word began to go around that there was another Forum ~ OrthodoxChristianity.net.  So one by one, shocked and numb from what had befallen us on CAF we made our way to OC.net.  And here we were warmly welcomed as brothers coming from the battlefield, bloody but unbowed.  

The OC.net mods, obviously  knowing how much we needed tender care and therapy and to reestablish contact with one another, allowed that thread to run on and on.  Did we ever say Thank You for that?    If not ~  Thank You, dear OC.net mods, for taking us in and giving us a healing place.

"catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion"
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13287.0.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:09:10 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2010, 12:37:07 AM »

The hugest ever thread on OC.net is that devoted to "The Great CAF Purge of 2007."   Smiley

As we were banned from CAF many of us fell into deep shock, and then word began to go around that there was another Forum ~ OrthodoxChristianity.net.  So one by one, shocked and numb from what had befallen us on CAF we made our way to OC.net.  And here we were warmly welcomed as brothers coming from the battlefield, bloody but unbowed.  

The OC.net mods, obviously  knowing how much we needed tender care and therapy and to reestablish contact with one another, allowed that thread to run on and on.  Did we ever say Thank You for that?    If not ~  Thank You, dear OC.net mods, for taking us in and giving us a healing place.

Yes. Thanks.

The scrubbing of the files is the greatest evil.  Reminds me of Winston Smith in the Ministry of Truth.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2010, 03:57:10 AM »

The OC.net mods, obviously  knowing how much we needed tender care and therapy and to reestablish contact with one another, allowed that thread to run on and on.  Did we ever say Thank You for that?    If not ~  Thank You, dear OC.net mods, for taking us in and giving us a healing place.

Bless, Father,

True indeed. Although I myself had a home forum to which I returned after the purge, I also revisited OC.net, where I had been an occasional poster for a long time. And, indeed, the 'refugees' - all of us, EO, EC, OO, OC, and Latin (and one can find some of each among posters to the thread that you linked) - were welcomed warmly and courteously here and allowed to vent, for a protracted period unequaled in my experience of many years participating in web fora. Even the process of weaning us from that thread was handled with a high degree of both charity and professionalism, facilitated by the appearance of and posting here by Joe Monahan, our former CAF Mod, which definitely helped give closure to the events.

As you note, the many who either first came here under those circumstances or returned here in them do indeed owe a 'thanks' to Father Anastasios and the Admin and Mod staff here for the welcome they afforded us in what was a dark time.  For those who would see Orthodox-Catholic relationships online or elsewhere as solely contentious, what happened back then gives lie to the notion - as posters at CAF knowingly brought bans on themselves by protesting the exclusion of their brethren, without concerning themselves as to where those brothers worshipped.

My thanks as well to all those who welcomed me and my friends back then.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2010, 04:11:18 AM »

There are also members here with whom I've butted heads - not so much here, but elsewhere - but for whom I have considerable respect - and hope they feel the same way toward me, albeit we have sometimes caused each others teeth to ache (with all due respect to my brothers, Isa and Stashko come to mind Cheesy )

I have considerable respect for you, although I cannot recall you giving my teeth occassion to ache.

LOL, Isa,

I meant no offense, just that we are both strongly opinionated and, on a few occasions (which we could revisit were it not for the ridiculous 'scrubbing of the files' to which you made reference), we butted heads rather strongly, evoking occasional reminders from Joe as to the rules of debate.

I heartily agree with you, by the way, the incredible loss of threads replete with information on any and every topic of liturgy, praxis, hagiographic information, photos, discussions of ecclesiastical architecture, iconography, and chant, eas well as learned discussions on both sides of theological debates, was and remains more painful than the banning. We were gone. It could and should have been allowed to remain as a resource.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2010, 08:47:36 AM »

Did we ever say Thank You for that?    If not ~  Thank You, dear OC.net mods, for taking us in and giving us a healing place.

On behalf of the Mod Staff, let me say that you are very welcome, Father! I do hope that healing has occurred, and is occuring even now.

May the Lord remember your priesthood in His Kingdom!

+FrChris

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:17 AM »

You really are second class citizens here (actually it would be more accurate to say that you really aren't citizens at all), and I don't see how that it is an unreasonable approach.

When I was invited to this forum I was not informed that being Catholic relegated me to second class status nor do I find any such statements in Rules.  

It is not explicitly stated but the degree to which you are allowed to participate on this site is established as inherently less than an EO and OO; the logical conclusion of this is that you are regarded as a second class citizen or a non-citizen.

There is no appreciable difference between how an EO, OO, or RC can participate here.  Indeed, the reason why we have such varied sub-forums is to encourage full particpation of all our members no matter their confession.  We do, however, have rules for each of those forum especially the Faith Issues and the Convert Issues forum.  This does not mean that non-Orthodox cannot participate there; it simply means that those areas are set aside for specific types of posts that, by definition, cannot allow any proselytization or non-Orthodox "counter-posts".  No one would mind if a Catholic suggested to a prospective convert in the Convert Issues forum who had issues with icons to read St. John of Damascus' defense of icons.

We welcome all posters, regardless of their religious communion, to participate here at OC.net so long as they follow the rules.

-Schultz.
Orthodox-Catholic Discussion moderator

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »

If EO, OO, and RCs were treated equally then we should have a Catholic section rather than one just comparing Catholicism and Orthodoxy (the OO have their own section rather than an Oriental Orthodox - Eastern Orthodox Discussion) and we should be represented in the moderation team. Anything else suggests that there is credibility to what deusveritasest was saying about us being second class or non-citizens. If we are non-citizens that is fine, but don't try to say we enjoy the same rights as everyone else and then turn around and immediately deny us those rights.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:16:36 AM by Wyatt » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2010, 11:24:09 AM »

Firstly, a hearty thank you to those who have said kind words in this thread about my moderation.  It is very much appreciated.

Now, I am not obligated to justify myself nor the actions of the moderation staff.  Participation in this sub-forum and all the forums on OC.net are voluntary.  If you can't handle the personality clashes and sniping that invariably arise from participation in any forum, even the most dry, academic ones, you are free to leave and not participate in the discussions at any time.  I myself left this forum once when, as an Eastern Catholic, I felt slighted one too many times and stayed away for a number of years.  In time, I realized that this site, of all the Orthodox fora on the internet, is the place most conducive to actual, provocative discussions but also the most welcoming of all such websites on the internet for heterodox Christians and even non-Christians.  My experience as a moderator for the past year has only reinforced that belief. 

I was nominated for this position because I was a former communicant of the Roman Catholic Church and I have demonstrably no ill will towards my old co-religionists or the church that birthed and fed me for over 30 years.  I simply came to the realization a few years ago that I no longer considered the universal jurisdiction of the papacy and papal infallibility to be a dogmatic necessity for the Christian life and, as such, found myself holding on to the tenets of the Orthodox Church more than that of the Roman Catholics.  There was no one moment when I rejected the teaching of Vatican I out of anger, spite or resentment; it was a gradual realization that came to full fruition on (Gregorian Pentecost) 2008.  I like to think that my posts as an Orthodox Christian and as a moderator bear out the fact that I have no ill will towards the Roman Catholic Church and those in communion with her to the point where I dare anyone to find such a post.  If anything, since my chrismation, I have taken pains to correct gross errors and bald lies about her.

Now we get to my moderation style.  This topic began with a comparison between this sub-fora and EO-OO subfora, moderated by Salpy.  What Salpy does over there is her business, as far as I'm concerned.  The history between the EO and OO on OC.net is far more incendiary than that of the Catholics and the Orthodox (quick note: I use and will continue to use those terms in their generally accepted meanings; you will not hear nor win any semantic games with me) and Salpy feels the need to police that forum with vigilance and swift action to keep the proverbial fire smoldering as opposed to raging. 

You will not find such heavy handedness in the Orthodox-Catholic discussion forum, at least while I'm moderating it.  You are all adults (with a few exceptions who tend to act more mature than most of the "adults" around here).  I am not your mother who is going to smack you on the mouth and send you into the corner to think about some ridiculous, disrespectful comment you said to the kid down the street.  I expect these things from posters in my forum:

1) Stay on topic.  The most egregious offense you can commit here is to go off on a tangent worthy of its own thread.  You all are obviously capable of using this forum and starting a new thread.  If you find a side comment of yours engenders its own conversation, either use the Report to Moderator function and ask a mod to split the topic or, better yet, start a new thread yourself.  It's not that hard.  In fact, the time and effort necessary to do so may just be the time you need to not shoot from the hip, so to speak, and end up typing a ridiculous, disrespectful post that you'll later regret, either in a few days on here or on Judgment Day in front of the Lord God Almighty.

2) No name calling.  You all know what this means.  I should not have to elaborate any further.

3) Don't feed the trolls.  Every forum has its drive-by posters (and even resident ones) whose posts are obviously inflammatory for the sake of being inflammatory.  Don't encourage them.  I don't care how much your fingers want to dash off yet another inflammatory post to combat the first one; it's counter-productive.  So the next time some delusional fool with a vendetta against the Roman Catholic Church posts yet another article about Cardinal Stepanic, don't feed the troll. 

That's it.  It's really that simple.  If you feel like someone's acting out of line, USE THE REPORT TO MODERATOR FUNCTION.  Yes, we are sometimes slow or even unresponsive.  I know I rarely take action without consensus from at least two other moderators unless something is obviously against the rules (posting pornography, for instance).  The moderation staff will get to your report and get back to you personally.  Remember, we are all volunteers, especially the clergy we are blessed to have as administrators and final-says, as it were. 

In short, behave yourselves.  I'm not here as a moderator to corral or cajole you into good behavior.  You're all adults who have to answer to the Almighty for everything you post here on OC.net, be you Catholic, Orthodox, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, atheist, etc.  I'm here to make sure that the letter of the law is followed in hopes that you all will be able to discern the spirit of our policies.  I cannot make you do so; you have to make the choice to do it yourself.

If you do not like the way we run things, perhaps you would find edification elsewhere.  This is not a democracy and further agitation for a "Catholic section with a Catholic moderator" will be met with an increase in warning status.

This is the end of this thread.

-Schultz.
Orthodox-Catholic Discussion moderator

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: