OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:01:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just sent my son and his wife the Orthodox Study Bible. (!!!)  (Read 957 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« on: November 01, 2010, 08:46:12 PM »

When I started going to the Orthodox Church I am about to be chrismated in (November 14th!) - I didn't say much to my family.  I wanted to make sure it was something I really wanted to do before I got into any long discussions.  I told them I had visited an Orthodox Church, but that was about it.  I just started praying for all three of my children and their spouses and left it. 

When I decided that I was SURE that I wanted to convert to Orthodoxy, I still didn't say much. . .just that I finally found THE faith tradition I had been looking for all my life, but didn't go into any detail due to time and distance - but still prayed. 

Last March, I went to celebrate mine and two of my children's birthday at my son's house.  (We're all born in March with the exception of my youngest son who was there to celebrate with us.)  I asked the children if they would like me to make them a Rosary for Christmas - as my daughter and her husband are practicing RC's - and my other two were searching.  My youngest son surprised me with the statement, "No, Mom, I want a prayer rope."  I blinked. . . then pushed a few questions to see if it was the 'prayer rope' I thought it was. Sure enough, my son had suddenly found himself surrounded by new friends who were all Orthodox. (!!)

I didn't say any more, just kept praying.  Recently I went to my grandson's first birthday.  My youngest son called me on the phone asking me where he would find an Orthodox Bible, and asked if I was still going to the Orthodox Church. I told him I was, and that there is the Orthodox Study Bible.  I took him a few things and the book Becoming Orthodox for him to read.  He asked for a prayer book and a prayer rope. . .and a Bible if I could manage one.  Then his precious wife asked for the same. 

He read Becoming Orthodox and called me stating that he couldn't put it down and was so filled with joy! (his words!) When he finished, he said that he's going to call the church that is in his area and begin the process of converting, that he's FINALLY found what he's been looking for. (I can so relate!)

I'm still praying - I'll always pray for my children. . .and I have two more children with their spouses and their families that I'd love to see discover the truth and depth and love of Christ. 

But this is wonderful!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:52:03 PM »

Glory to God. Thanks for sharing this.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:52:14 PM »

Glory to God!!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »

Glory to God! Many years!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:59:08 PM »

Glory to God!  Smiley  angel
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »

Great to hear  Grin

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »

Glory to God!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 07:00:05 PM »

Prayers.....
Great New's ..........

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!  Great story!!  Thanks for sharing this with us.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
herbalgirl

Faith: Orthodox inquirer

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 02:33:20 PM »

Wow!  Glory to God!  What great and exciting news.  Smiley 
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »

Great and inspiring news!  Glory be to God!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »

wow!  how wonderful!  let me just tell you that your youngest son will benefit GREATLY by having Orthodox Christian friends his age.  they will help encourage eachother in the faith, and live a moral lifestyle.  honestly, I've found that Orthodox Christian youth are among the nicest and most encouraging of all! 

prayer is a wonderful thing!  I can relate, as I've been Orthodox for about 6 months, and my father is taking the first steps toward conversion!  he also asked me for a prayer rope, but I bought him one, as I don't posess the patience to make one myself!

Glory to God for all things!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 04:07:32 PM »

Hey, everyone,

I just spoke to my son yesterday and he clarified something to me that ended up being quite the misunderstanding - so since my story above elaborates on a misunderstanding - I want to correct it.  

He said that his friends showed him the orthodox cross, but they are not orthodox themselves - he said he did not know the cross he drew a picture of when I was at the birthday party was orthodox until I told him so.  So it was my misunderstanding in believing that he had orthodox friends.  He said that my telling him that the cross was Orthodox was the first time he learned that there was such thing as an Orthodox Christianity - and that's what lead him to find out more about it.  He said that he thought there was only Orthodox Judaism. . .and that's it.  

My apologies for the incorrect information in the account of events above.  Well, on second thought, I can't as there isn't any way I can edit the post.  Moderator, if you would like to do anything with this in order to correct the information, please feel free to do so.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:09:20 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: