OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 09:03:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greeting a Priest  (Read 2489 times) Average Rating: 0
Ignatius II

Faith: Catholic

« on: November 02, 2010, 07:00:42 PM »

To avoid being disrespectful, what is the proper way to greet an Orthodox priest.   Also how would one address a priest in responding to a post on these forums.

Thanks.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »

Usually just addressing him as Father will suffice on the forum, so it's Father John or Father Peter or whatever (first name), or even just Father (with no name attached). In person, a priest might beat you to the punch and give a traditional Orthodox greeting, but if not, "hello Fr. such-and-such" is fine.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:58 PM »

The most proper way of greeting an Orthodox priest is to ask for his blessing.

Come up to him, cup you hands - right over left at an angle to form a "cross" and say "Bless, Father".  Just like you would ask of a bishop (Bless, your Grace or Master).  He will then bestow upon you a blessing and his right hand will end up in your palm, at which point you respectfully kiss it.

However, some priests do not like to have their hands kissed (most likely out of humility)...and will promptly remove their hand before you get a chance to kiss it.  Don't be offended.

I had both this weekend at our Church assembly...where I got to meet dozens of clergy and hierarchs.  Just relax and go with the flow.  You won't offend him if you are respectful to him.

The worst thing is when people treat clergy/hierarchs as if they are their equals and casual buddies.

PLEASE don't do that (unless you are a buddy.)  Respect the title and the office of the clergy.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 03:10:45 PM »

also, when he greets you (if during Pascha season) he'll say "Hello, ____.  Christ is Risen!"  and you'd resopnd with "Indeed, he is risen!"

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:28:14 PM »

Soon after converting I tried asking for blessings from priests when I met them, but most seemed caught off-guard by it and it was always awkward. Most seem to prefer a standard handshake, in my experience, and they will stick their hand out before you have a chance to ask for a blessing.

If he prefers to be greeted by blessing, he may gesture for you to cup your hands as Liza explains above.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: