OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:27:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superiority of Sola Scriptura over Scripture + Orthodox Tradition  (Read 16380 times) Average Rating: 0
laconicstudent
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #315 on: January 11, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »

Being called swine and troll by moderators was the last straw...

I shake the dust off my feet of this place. May the peace I brought, leave with me.

Well, at least he thinks highly of himself.  Roll Eyes
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #316 on: January 11, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »

Come on, TtC, you know (or should know) this isn't a "Christian vs Christian" thing.  There is always someone like Alfred on every Internet forum, of whatever subject matter.   We had them at IIDB too. Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
TryingtoConvert
Elder

Faith: Disbelief in your belief
Jurisdiction: All in your mind

« Reply #317 on: January 11, 2011, 11:43:50 PM »

Come on, TtC, you know (or should know) this isn't a "Christian vs Christian" thing.  There is always someone like Alfred on every Internet forum, of whatever subject matter.   We had them at IIDB too. Smiley

I was on that forum recently and they had you categorized still as an atheist. Dang they had alot of Christians turn to atheism.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #318 on: January 11, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »

Come on, TtC, you know (or should know) this isn't a "Christian vs Christian" thing.  There is always someone like Alfred on every Internet forum, of whatever subject matter.   We had them at IIDB too. Smiley

Yes, this thread was more akin to D&D 4ed rules lawyers arguing against AD&D.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #319 on: January 12, 2011, 01:27:52 AM »

TtC, are you sure you were looking at the right person? I didn't have the same username there that I have here.  Plus I made no secret of my theism - I made sure the mods knew when I became one.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #320 on: January 12, 2011, 02:22:11 AM »

Come on, TtC, you know (or should know) this isn't a "Christian vs Christian" thing.  There is always someone like Alfred on every Internet forum, of whatever subject matter.   We had them at IIDB too. Smiley

I was on that forum recently and they had you categorized still as an atheist. Dang they had alot of Christians turn to atheism.

OK, now I'm puzzled because I did some digging.  The old IIDB forum doesn't exist anymore, it's been morphed into the FRDB (Freeratio) discussion board.  My account as "windsofchange" is still there and I'm still listed as a "Gardnerian fideist".  Wondering what you saw that had me "categorized still as an atheist"?

Also yes, there were a lot of people at that forum who had turned to atheism from Christianity. But really, what does that prove?  There are plenty of atheists who turned to Christianity and go on to other boards to discuss their newfound beliefs.  Most of them don't continue on atheist boards (mainly because they get unmercifully lambasted if they do).  But nevertheless, my point is, people change their beliefs all the time.

(I know this is off the OP's topic so my apologies, I did just want to clarify this though. Thanks.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:22:59 AM by theistgal » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #321 on: January 12, 2011, 04:07:02 AM »

Very interesting thread to say the least. Hey theistgal did they try to convert you back to atheism?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #322 on: January 12, 2011, 05:17:07 AM »

LMFAO AT THIS THREAD.

Clearly this guy is worse than me, Christians arguing against Christians. Gotta love pride. laugh

Thankfully atheists never argue with one another. Brb, I'm going to go watch atheists mock Sam Harris for embracing "spirituality"  Tongue

Ya, I've seen some people go at him pretty ruthlessly over his open-mindedness regarding the spiritual experience and some of his "meditation expeditions"...
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #323 on: January 12, 2011, 11:58:29 PM »

Achronos - a few did but most were respectful.  They were a nice bunch of people.

In fact I was quite proud to witness two of the moderators there going out of their way to help a woman who'd posted a suicide threat.

"Lord, when did we see you alone and afraid?"  "Inasmuch as you did it to one of my brethren (or sistren! Smiley ), you did it unto Me."

mtgdude

« Reply #324 on: January 14, 2011, 01:45:19 AM »

edited
Ikonguru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Baptised Anglican -moving toward Orthodoxy

Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner

« Reply #325 on: February 02, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »

A man who relies solely on Sola Scriptura is blind and will remain in darkness.
The Christian Tradition (including the Holy Icons), not exclusive to Orthodoxy, contains the mysteries which are never written down. Unless a person is guided to those truths by another or Divine providence, their progress on the path will be slow.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:30:21 PM by Ikonguru » Logged

It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.
fanlynne

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: USA

« Reply #326 on: February 09, 2011, 09:05:13 PM »

whether a partisan of sola scriptura can say whether oral instructions concerning, say, the Eucharistic liturgy, made it into the canon or not? Partisans of non-liturgical traditions of worship (what the historian, Joseph Strayer, called “four walls and a sermon”) may consider liturgy an arbitrary matter, but Catholics do not, because they believe God is to be worshipped, not as we wish, but as He wishes -- in a manner divinely revealed through Sacred Tradition, which involves at its center the sacramental presentation of the once-for-all, atoning sacrifice of Christ.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #327 on: February 09, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »

in a manner divinely revealed through Sacred Tradition
I don't know about your particular organization, but in the Orthodox Christian Church, things are not "divinely revealed through Sacred Tradition". In Orthodox Christianity, Tradition is the handing down through the Church of what was once and for all divinely revealed to the Apostles. God doesn't "reveal" things through Tradition- rather, Tradition is the preservation of what God has revealed.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »

hmmm…however you slice it isn't that the point which was being made…that our worship has divine origin and not mere human invention?
Tags: Alfred's back for more Perssonism sola scriptura dead horse 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: