OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 10:09:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What translation would you want used?
KJV - 4 (33.3%)
NKJV - 1 (8.3%)
RSV - 2 (16.7%)
NRSV - 0 (0%)
OSB - 3 (25%)
NIV - 0 (0%)
NAB - 0 (0%)
New Jerusalem - 0 (0%)
Douay Rheims - 0 (0%)
New Oxford Annotated - 1 (8.3%)
Parellel Translations... - 1 (8.3%)
Other... - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox/Catholic Chain Reference Bible  (Read 1207 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« on: April 04, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »

For those who don't know what a chain-reference Bible is, it's sort of an uber-study Bible, which lists thousands of subjects by number, telling you next to the passage where the next related verse is, and indexing in the back all the passages that are related. (the only image I could find that is big enough to give you an idea of what it's like is this one). The main problem is that the only chain-reference Bible (currently) is a Protestant one. And while it's not in-your-face about it's Protestant roots (e.g. there is no section on sola scriptura), and frankly it's by far my favorite Bible to use, it's still not going to go into things like theosis, or give you an adequate treatment of something like ecclesiology, or tell you what the Church Fathers thought about this or that passage.

So anyway, here's the question: if Catholics and Orthodox (Oriental and Eastern) got together and created a chain-reference Bible, so as to promote biblical studies from a more traditional Christian perspective, what translation would you want used? (Let's assume that a new translation would be cost-prohibitive.)
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »

I own a Thompson-Chain Reference Bible, and thoroughly enjoy it.

I think in a few places, it is very up-front about its Protestantism (particularly it's Arminianism). It's a nice tool, but far too Protestant. I would like to see an Orthodox one.

I selected KJV, I think it's the best out there, although I could settle for NKJV or Douay Rheims. I would like to see an English translation of the LXX used as the OT, though, like in the OSB. We need more English Bibles that include the full canon of Scripture, and as it was originally compiled (not separating them into an "apocrypha" or "deuterocanon" in-between the OT and the NT).

EDIT: And I mean a new translation of the LXX. I like the OSB, and use it, but it's just a bit too modern for me. the SAA LXX goes well with the NKJV, but wouldn't mix with a KJV. I want to see a King James' English translation of the LXX, or at least in Revised Liturgical English (like is sometimes used by St. Tikhon's Press, especially now that they've revised their Horologion).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:49:35 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:40:01 AM »

I gave my Thompson Chain-Reference Bible away a few months ago. Dumb. Those things aren't cheap! But I need to get another one soon, they're just too good. This'll be the third one I've bought. The first one died about 4 years after I bought it when I left it sitting on a couch and my sister's dog destroyed it. Bad dog!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »

I'm surprised that the RSV has as many votes as the KJV and OSB (though obviously there are too few votes for it to mean a ton at this point)...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 10:20:04 PM »

Just as a way of bumping the thread...

I was at the mall today, and got another Thompson Chain-Reference Bible Grin  I didn't think the local Christian book store would be able to compete with the prices on Amazon.com, but they had a KJV edition there on sale for $60, so I decided to just go ahead and buy it. It was a little more than I would have paid online, but at least I have it immediately. I saw some complaints about a slide in the quality of these Bibles in certain Amazon reviews, but the one I got seems perfectly fine to me.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: