I AM NEW TO THIS SITE.. Can someone help me with questions in regards to a Ethiopian orthodox funeral I attended in London Ontario recently..
1) why the wailing?
2) why all the incense?
3) what language is spoke? it was not English?
4) what is your Bible you use?
5) who do you worship?
6) the paul placed on the casket, what does it signify?
7) what is the reason for the Fancy umbrella at the cemetery?
Why is your funerals so long?
9) why do u shovel the grave in?
10) what is the alter area called in your church
if some one can answer these question it would be great
Welcome to the forum! I have removed the email address from your message in order you won't be targetted by spambots and moved your message to the more proper board - Michał Kalina.
1. The wailing is because of bereavement
2. The incense and the umbrella are part of the burial prayer ceremony. In fact they are objects that you see in almost all of our praise and prayer ceremonies in the church
3. The language of the funeral prayer is Ge’ez
4. Our bible is The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Bible
5. We worship the Holy Trinity
6. The pall is the church’s respect for the deceased. In the church, the altar and the Ark in it are always clothed. Our body was destined to be God’s altar. In addition, as the body in the casket is clothed with the pall, the righteous soul of that body is clothed with heavenly reward.
7. Same as No.2
8. It is not always long. If the prayer is conducted beforehand, the burial will not take long.
9. Because God said “dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return”
10. The altar area in our church is known as “Meqdes”