Author Topic: Icon Placement Question  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Icon Placement Question
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »
I know there are certain customs related to icons (e.g. don't put one in the bathroom), so I had a question. I recently received an icon and was thinking about putting it on a shelf in my icon corner... the thing is, the shelf is only about at the height of my thigh, and would be partially out of sight when I was actually praying. Here's a pic showing the placement (it's the lowest one). Are there any rules/customs about where Icons should be placed as it relates to height or ability to be seen while praying?

(Note, I can't put it on the top shelf because I'm saving that space for a Rublev Trinity icon I have coming)
"The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny--it is the light that guides your way." - Heraclitus

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Re: Icon Placement Question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »
Well, if you ever kneel during your prayers, the height would be just right.   :)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:40:52 PM »
Well, if you ever kneel during your prayers, the height would be just right.   :)

:D Hadn't thought of that, very true!
"The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny--it is the light that guides your way." - Heraclitus

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 06:24:45 PM »
I just wouldn't put them at floor level. :P
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
well, I don't see why you couldn't just hang it!?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 12:42:43 AM »

I just sort of like the icons to be in a general cross shape, or as close as I can get that. Also, I like things to be symmetrical. I know, I'm a bit strange. :)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 03:17:04 AM »

I just sort of like the icons to be in a general cross shape, or as close as I can get that. Also, I like things to be symmetrical. I know, I'm a bit strange. :)
Not at all. :) I like things symmetrical, too.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:58:06 AM »

ah, I see!  forgive me for not noticing that in your pic! perhapse you could make another level, a thicker cross?  or, if you like Slavic designs, work on adding icons to make that appealing 3-bar look.

best of luck!