OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 12:11:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Halloween Tract  (Read 847 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: October 30, 2010, 03:24:07 AM »

I made this today and plan to hand out copies of it with handfulls of candy to the Trick-or-Treaters this weekend. I thought I would share it with you guys in case you wanted to do the same thing. Feel free to copy and use this! I will be glad to email a copy to anyone who is unable to copy it from here.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:32:49 AM »

As long as your intention isn't to scare the kids into belief... Other than that, it seems very straightforward.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:37:24 AM »

As long as your intention isn't to scare the kids into belief... Other than that, it seems very straightforward.

No. I'm going to tell the kids to take it home to their parents, or else hand it to the parents who are with their kids.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 04:40:42 AM »

Good idea!  Smiley

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 05:01:08 AM »

The only issue I would have is that you should point them to a church website rather than your personal blog. You don't want to set yourself up as a possible a spiritual authority for someone new to the concept of faith, particularly since you are Ethiopian Orthodox and there aren't any Ethiopian Orthodox parishes near you. There are plenty of very good Orthodox information sites out there, or even local parishes you can point them to. If you have your own personal blog advertised on the tract then it will seem like self promotion rather then promotion of the faith. At the very least add an additional Orthodox information or parish website in addition to your blog website.

I know that you aren't trying to self promote. I know that you seek to share knowledge, but we have to be careful in this area. There are too many people that have had very bad experiences with tracts in the past. You want to seem as far from the stereotype of Jack Chick as possible. Jack Chick was more about promoting himself than promoting faith or truth.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:03:09 AM by Quinault » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 05:14:42 AM »

The only issue I would have is that you should point them to a church website rather than your personal blog. You don't want to set yourself up as a possible a spiritual authority for someone new to the concept of faith, particularly since you are Ethiopian Orthodox and there aren't any Ethiopian Orthodox parishes near you. There are plenty of very good Orthodox information sites out there, or even local parishes you can point them to. If you have your own personal blog advertised on the tract then it will seem like self promotion rather then promotion of the faith. At the very least add an additional Orthodox information or parish website in addition to your blog website.

I know that you aren't trying to self promote. I know that you seek to share knowledge, but we have to be careful in this area. There are too many people that have had very bad experiences with tracts in the past. You want to seem as far from the stereotype of Jack Chick as possible. Jack Chick was more about promoting himself than promoting faith or truth.

Thanks Quinalt. Good insight, and I will indeed include a Church website. I agree with your concerns, and I appreciate the input!

Selam

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »

wow, very clever!  how interesting, to turn the remains of a Pagan tradition into a chance to evangelize!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Taylor

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:38:36 PM »

So how did it go?  Did you end up handing many out or getting any questions?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »

So how did it go?  Did you end up handing many out or getting any questions?

It went well. Didn't give out as many as we had hoped because most of the kids went out Saturday instead of Sunday, and we weren't home Sat. night.

Selam

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »

Was/Is he? I never liked his tracts but I thought he was fairly tame when it came self promotion.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Tags: Halloween tracts 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: