Author Topic: Orthodox Halloween Tract  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
Orthodox Halloween Tract
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:24:07 AM »
I made this today and plan to hand out copies of it with handfulls of candy to the Trick-or-Treaters this weekend. I thought I would share it with you guys in case you wanted to do the same thing. Feel free to copy and use this! I will be glad to email a copy to anyone who is unable to copy it from here.

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
Re: Orthodox Halloween Tract
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:32:49 AM »
As long as your intention isn't to scare the kids into belief... Other than that, it seems very straightforward.
Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

http://hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com/

• Merarches
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:37:24 AM »
As long as your intention isn't to scare the kids into belief... Other than that, it seems very straightforward.

No. I'm going to tell the kids to take it home to their parents, or else hand it to the parents who are with their kids.

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline Agia Marina

• Site Supporter
  • Elder
  • St. Marina of Antioch
    • Holy Cross Monastery
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 04:40:42 AM »
Good idea!  :)
“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 05:01:08 AM »
The only issue I would have is that you should point them to a church website rather than your personal blog. You don't want to set yourself up as a possible a spiritual authority for someone new to the concept of faith, particularly since you are Ethiopian Orthodox and there aren't any Ethiopian Orthodox parishes near you. There are plenty of very good Orthodox information sites out there, or even local parishes you can point them to. If you have your own personal blog advertised on the tract then it will seem like self promotion rather then promotion of the faith. At the very least add an additional Orthodox information or parish website in addition to your blog website.

I know that you aren't trying to self promote. I know that you seek to share knowledge, but we have to be careful in this area. There are too many people that have had very bad experiences with tracts in the past. You want to seem as far from the stereotype of Jack Chick as possible. Jack Chick was more about promoting himself than promoting faith or truth.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:03:09 AM by Quinault »

• Merarches
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 05:14:42 AM »
The only issue I would have is that you should point them to a church website rather than your personal blog. You don't want to set yourself up as a possible a spiritual authority for someone new to the concept of faith, particularly since you are Ethiopian Orthodox and there aren't any Ethiopian Orthodox parishes near you. There are plenty of very good Orthodox information sites out there, or even local parishes you can point them to. If you have your own personal blog advertised on the tract then it will seem like self promotion rather then promotion of the faith. At the very least add an additional Orthodox information or parish website in addition to your blog website.

I know that you aren't trying to self promote. I know that you seek to share knowledge, but we have to be careful in this area. There are too many people that have had very bad experiences with tracts in the past. You want to seem as far from the stereotype of Jack Chick as possible. Jack Chick was more about promoting himself than promoting faith or truth.

Thanks Quinalt. Good insight, and I will indeed include a Church website. I agree with your concerns, and I appreciate the input!

Selam

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »
wow, very clever!  how interesting, to turn the remains of a Pagan tradition into a chance to evangelize!

Offline Taylor

• My Baptismal name is Paul
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:38:36 PM »
So how did it go?  Did you end up handing many out or getting any questions?
My Baptismal name is Paul

• Merarches
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »
So how did it go?  Did you end up handing many out or getting any questions?

It went well. Didn't give out as many as we had hoped because most of the kids went out Saturday instead of Sunday, and we weren't home Sat. night.

Selam

Offline sprtslvr1973

• High Elder
  • "Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »

Was/Is he? I never liked his tracts but I thought he was fairly tame when it came self promotion.
"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24