OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 01:32:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deification in Christ by Panayiotis Nellas  (Read 4310 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: October 29, 2010, 06:40:52 AM »

For those who don’t own Deification in Christ: Orthodox Perspectives on the Nature of the Human Person, by Panayiotis Nellas… get it. You won’t regret it. This book investigates some of the Orthodox perspectives on humans and the human condition. It is broken down into four parts:

1. The Image of God and the “Garments of Skin”
2. The Spiritual Life in Christ
3. The Anthropological and Cosmological Context of Union With God
4. Patristic Texts

Nellas does not mean to treat the subject systematically or exhaustively, saying in the Preface that “Patristic anthropology does not form a system” and that “central themes of patristic anthropology are examined synthetically but not systematically”  (p. 16) Yet he does nonetheless give a well-formed and full account of Orthodox Christian anthropology.

The first part of the book gives a general overview of certain themes in Orthodox anthropology, such as the meaning of the “garments of skin,” the meaning of “image of God,” etc. This section draws heavily on St. John Chrysostom, St. Gregory of Nyssa, and St. Maximos the Confessor, among others.

The second part gives a general overview of the life in Christ, and this part of the book is subtitled “A Study of the Christocentric Anthropology of St. Nicolas Kavasilas.” (p. 105) Some of the topics discussed are the “Christification” of man’s being, movement, life, mind and will, and the fruits of the spiritual life. The third part is an examination of certain anthropological and cosmological themes in the Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete.

The fourth part contains excerpts from various patristic texts that Nellas found to be most relevant. The Church Fathers included are: St. Ireneaus, St. Gregory the Theologian, St. Gregory of Nyssa, St. Maximos the Confessor, St. Nicholas Cabasilas, and St. Nikodemus of the Holy Mountain. Altogether these texts only account for roughly 15% of the content of the book, but they are still a nice supplement to have.

In the back there is a bibliography (roughly 60 entries), a very short glossary, an index of patristic texts (Nellas quotes 27 different Church Fathers/writers), and an index of subjects. In all the book is about 254 pages long.

Not only would I recommend this book, but I would also go so far as to say that this is one of the best books I’ve read as it relates to understanding Orthodox Christianity.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:36:47 AM »

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »

I recently bought this for the fourth or fifth time.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »

Does he spice it up more with each repeat purchase? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 07:34:58 PM »

Does he spice it up more with each repeat purchase?  

From beyond the grave?  Grin Perhaps.  I just keep selling/donating it like an idiot is all, so I have to rebuy it every couple years.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:35:29 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »

I was just recently recommended this by my professor/priest. Hmm.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 11:25:42 PM »

I was just recently recommended this by my professor/priest. Hmm.

I hear Asteriktos gives these out like an idiot, so PM him and save yourself some money on his tab. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: